Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Series - Star Trek: Oubliette

At the suggestion of TTK, I made the gravitational sinkhole the product of an extinct advanced alien race. The "hole" is actually maintained by a large, automated, ring-shaped space station, but the station itself is cloaked and therefore invisible to sensors and to normal vision.

The Romulans - with their expertise in cloaking technologies - managed to adjust Poseidon's sensors to detect cloaked objects, and the station was located in fairly short order. Unfortunately, the stations automated defense systems repelled attempts of both the Poseidon and a pair of shuttlepods to gain access, and Crewman Kelly was lost when an attempt was made to transport directly to the ring (thanks to a disruption field that was previously undetected). Moreover, the gravitational eddies made navigation (and maintaining a static position) very difficult, so the crew gave up accessing the ring station for the time being.

Further investigation of the finite space contained within the sinkhole revealed three star systems, each of which contained several planets. Even more unusual, each system contained at least one M-class planet capable of supporting human life.

After reaching the first star system - a blue dwarf star orbited by seven planets - the crew discovered that the second planet hosted intelligent life. Scans from orbit detect over twenty settlements with between 250 and 5,000 inhabitants on the northern continent. While the settlements themselves were relatively small, the crew detected fusion reactors in the three largest cities, and they also determined that the reactors were providing power to all of the settlements. Moreover - with the help of their Romulan "guests" - they learned that the reactors were identical to those used on Romulan vessels in the first decade of the 22nd century.

Further investigation revealed a series of orbital satellites used for communications as well as a small manned space station. Communications were quickly established and the Poseidon crew was surprised to discover a diverse crew manning that station, including Romulans, Remans, Orions, and at least a dozen other species, several of which were not in the Starfleet database.

The station crew was thrilled to make contact with an operational warp vessel, they explained, since every ship they'd detected passing through the aperture was severely damaged or destroyed. They invited the captain to visit the station, so he and the PCs departed the ship in a shuttlepod and made their way to the station while Poseidon stood close by.

Much to their surprise, the Romulans aboard the station were far friendlier than those they'd saved several days earlier. Even more unusual was the fact that so many different races seemed to work quite well together despite their differences.

As it turned out, vessels had been pulled into the sinkhole since the early 21st century because the automated station had begun malfunctioning. In fact, their scans revealed that the power core aboard the station was becoming dangerously unstable and was likely to shut down within a few months. Should the station lose power, they postulated, the aperture would collapse and the station would be crushed. As for what would happen to the contents of their realm, they could not guess.

The crew was invited to visit the capital city on the surface, and again they graciously agreed, sending down the PCs while the captain returned to Poseidon. They discovered a society based on that of the Romulan Empire, but far more republican in nature. The Proconsul and his Centurions maintained law and order, and the Senate met regularly to produce new legislation, but their world lacked the paranoia of modern Romulan society (according to comments made by the Romulans and Remans who'd arrived with Poseidon).

The Episode ended with the PCs meeting with local scientists to study the nature of their space and hopefully discover a way to stabilize the station or to find some way out of the anomaly altogether.

More to come.

mactavish out.
    Last edited by mactavish; 04-10-2008 at 12:12 PM.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

Mac, this looks like a really well thought out (and it was cool to see it evolve, btw) mini-series. I like the multiple races trapped inside working together, and especially Romulans becoming much more open and likable when removed from the politics of the empire.

I'm wondering when the Romulans on the ship start to cause trouble for their cousins on the planet? Think "you call your self Romulans? You live amongst the filth of the galaxy as equals? You should be their masters, not their 'partners'!" is going to be shouted at someone?; of course, some of the ship board Romulans (especially those that have been screwed by politics) might want to preserve this Republic, maybe even take it's message to the RSE!

So, this whole thing is an alien science project? One of my fave sci-fi story ideas is 'advanced science goes wrong'; although it would have been cool to use the prison idea too. Makes you wonder what's on those other planets....?

The players haven't yet noticed that the three systems are laid out in an equilateral triangle, or that the configuration of planets is identical... except that there are two large debris fields where two planets should be (according to the simulations).

I've got a series of ideas involving the PCs escape, but I am really debating on how to resolve this Series at the end:

1. The station is finally boarded, the reactor repaired, and the inner-space region saved and hidden (since the sinkhole in normal space is caused by the malfunction), and the aperture can be safely traversed

2. The station blows up, cutting the entire inner-space region off from normal space and trapping everyone in a pocket dimension where time flows at about 700 times the rate of the real universe

3. As #2, but the pocket holding the inner-space region ruptures, spilling the three systems into normal space; this would certainly cause a whole new set of problems

4. As #2, but the entire inner-space region is destroyed (taking its secrets with it to oblivion)

I'm kind of leaning toward the third one as it keeps a good deal of the mini-Series intact while still allowing the PCs to actually go home. Of course, it kind of poisons the notion of canon... unless it dumps into normal space in a region other than where the gravitation sinkhole was located. Hmm...

Another thought was to have the PCs escape using Xindi subspace vortex technology, but I'm really kind of opposed to it at this point.

Yet another idea was to use Romulan cloaking technology combined with debris from the destroyed station to jury rig a one-shot dimensional shunt that would dump Poseidon back into normal space. Oh, and the Romulans and Remans (in this case) not only decide to remain behind, but upload a virus into the ship's computer that erases all data about them, their physiology, their technology, and the events that occurred in which they were involved! [Insert evil laughter!]

My next Episode is slated for next weekend, so we'll see what happens next.

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

Quote Originally Posted by mactavish View Post
    2. The station blows up, cutting the entire inner-space region off from normal space and trapping everyone in a pocket dimension where time flows at about 700 times the rate of the real universe.
    What if they could adjust the time flow?

3. As #2, but the pocket holding the inner-space region ruptures, spilling the three systems into normal space; this would certainly cause a whole new set of problems
    If the systems are quasi-duplicates, could each 'fold in' to each other, leaving one star system?

I'm kind of leaning toward the third one as it keeps a good deal of the mini-Series intact while still allowing the PCs to actually go home. Of course, it kind of poisons the notion of canon... unless it dumps into normal space in a region other than where the gravitation sinkhole was located. Hmm...
    Similar to #2, It might detach from the sinkhole, but randomly 'reattach' to normal space as it drifts through subspace.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Very nice story, mactavish. Your players are lucky

I like Tatterdemalion King's suggestion of having solution #2, but with the pocket space wandering in subspace, occasionally reattaching itself to normal space for limited amounts of time (or even stumbling into wormholes, transwarp conduits, fluidic space...). This would allow for the players to return home eventually, and for the pocket system to continue to exist, and eventually being found again.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Ok, so the systems come out of their subspace pocket, and the pocket itself sorta drifts through space? Hmmm, interesting. (or did i not pay attention?)

Ok, my gamer mind is sorta working on some of the other stuff; If the cast gets out, and into their normal time, how do we avoid poisoning the timeline with Romulan knowledge? One imperfect answer would be to have the crew, in the interest of 'preserving the peace we have here', strike it all from their data banks and swear to never, ever reveal what they know.

Of course, when the Earth/Romulan war comes, there's going to be some serious hell to pay, one way or another.

The station itself provides an interesting puzzle: Who built it? I came up with an interesting idea that keeps up with the ENT style of giving the viewer some snippet of future Trek stuff (having Organians possessing Trip and Tucker, for example): The station was built by Sargon's people, perhaps as a refuge from the war that destroyed their homeworld.

The cast gets into the station, finds the reactor and a large beach ball that is the mind of the designer of the place! Or maybe he's not a nice mental entitiy at all; he has been stuck in a ball for 1000's of years.

Just remember, if you do plan on destroying the station, make sure that it is laden with all sorta amazing tech items: in every story where someone finds something like a remenet of a lost civilization, or a lost world, it is always taken away in the final act!

I was thinking of having the pocket regurgitate back into normal space... within the borders of the Romulan Star Empire. This then leads to a reconquering of the inhabited world(s) by the Empire, the dissolution of the Romulan Republic, and the necessity of the PCs escape from Romulan space.

Again, I'm thinking that the data concerning the mission, the Romulans, and pretty much everything else relevant to the situation is erased or lost (whether by a virus, damage to the computer, etc.), but I've also been considering that the exploits of the Poseidon in Romulan space may in fact be the catalyst to the Earth-Romulan War.

So anyway, if you have suggestions, please keep posting.

mactavish out.

So did you end up playing any of this?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Hmm I must have missed this at the time, intriguing! Yes, how did it pan out in the end?
    Ta Muchly

Another possibility: the players eventually discover that the station wasn't created to wall off a group of systems. It and the gravitational anomaly are the remnants of an alien operation that moved a number of systems outside the galaxy, using a powerful gravitational lens to bend space until it broke (or something), and the only way to escape is to follow the aliens to wherever they went. And what will you do when (if?) you encounter aliens able to move entire star systems around?
    Take care of Mr. Bond. See that some harm comes to him.