Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elite Force Teams

Post Elite Force Teams

I read the comic (I didn't play the game though) and was tinkering around with forming a team like the Elite Force and realised that the whole thing sounds very much like the Prime Team from the PRIME DIRECTIVE RPG.

It would appear that the Elite Force is a special team trained for crisis situations and could form a starting point for PCs who are not senior officers. They could form a special away team that would handle all away missions thus not risking senior officers.

The only thing is training? Would they have additional skills/training packages other than those they already have?

I was thinking that the core of the team could be RRT but they are combat orientated which may not fit in for diplomatic/scientific missions. I was thinking of a ten CP package as special training. Does anyone have any suggestions.

My PC team built their Hazard Team/Elite Force rip-off characters designed around the standard branch overlays from the TNG Core Rules (I don't have the RRT overlays) with the appropriate specializations (Planetary Tactics for Command Branch, changing Starship Administration to Logistics, etc). They then took appropriate Academy packages such as Marksmanship Certification, RRT training, Emergency Medical Training (for the field medic) or suchlike. Tours involved Hazardous Duty or RRT Duty packages. Basically have normal officers from their branch (my team has Command, Medical, Security and Engineering overlays represented), with enough extra training to be slightly better in combat (higher phaser and Unarmed Combat specializations) and a "special ops" slant.
    Of course, my PCs were designed to be a dedicated ground/boarding unit rather than a generalized Away Team like the Elite Force (I reasoned Starfleet probably wouldn't adopt Tuvok's idea as it stood, since starships in the Alpha Quad have plenty of reinforcements and crew). So our team is more a Special Forces unit, intended for infiltration, rescue and counterterrorist operations. This means they don't have too many starship-based skills.

------------------
    "Diplomacy doesn't appear to be getting us anywhere - try the torpedoes"
    Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest NCC-81205.

In the PRIME DIRECTIVE RPG, the Prime Team (a dedicated away team assigned to Star Fleet vessels) were created after Star Fleet realised that too many senior officers were getting killed on away missions (I mean after the red shirts who gets eaten).

The idea is that not only should the CO not be risked on away missions but the other senior officers as well. So Star Fleet trains dedicated teams trained together at Starfleet Academy for the sole purpose of acting as a ship's away team. They are assigned to the Ops Deparment coming under the Ops Officer's control although the team is drawn from all branches. To enhance team camaraderie each team is given a name usually based upon the ship they serve on eg: The Cavaliers (on the Excalibur).

I would like to implement this as it will allow PCs to lead away missions and take leading roles in scenarios even if they are not senior officers.

So Tuvok's Elite Force is similiar to this concept.

My thinking is that "Elite Force" training should be part of Academy training using the 8 DP Academy Life. A new package could be:

Planetside Survival (Choice) 1(2)
    Planetary Tactics (Choice) 1(2) OR Diplomacy (Choice) 1(2) OR Persuasion (Choice) 1(2)
    Planetary Science (choice) 1(2) OR Social Science (Choice) 1(2) OR Personal Equipment (Tricorder) 1(2)

Rival (Other Prime Team) -1

Fairly torturous but its a work in progress. SUggestions?

I'd personally wait before proceeding, and see what is established for the upcoming computer game Star Trek: Away Team. That is more of the Alpha Quadrant "Special Forces" type team; the Hazard Team is more for a "we're not getting help anytime soon, and need the best of the best now," type situations.
    http://www.dailyradar.com/features/g...ge_1439_1.html Some info about the game

[This message has been edited by Caretaker (edited 11-17-2000).]

Why wait. Sieze the day and make a decision.

Talking

I've been pondering the idea of an 'elite team behind enemy lines' type of idea, but i was thinking of character creation being made up from the Intel source book 'The First Line'.

I imagine you will have it - if you don't, try and get your hands on it - there is a fair amount of useful stuff within.

------------------
    Commander Lucus Fox

What about that personal transporter buffer!
    Is it actually feasible in a belt clip size?

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Originally posted by SIR SIG:
    What about that personal transporter buffer!
    Is it actually feasible in a belt clip size?
    My take on the personal transporter buffer takes into account the size of transporter buffers in the tech manuals...
    So if a character can justify carrying something 3x their body size, and weighing more than your average car... Of course thats not taking power and computer processing power into account...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts froma random mind!"

Turning a blind eye to the VOY-level technology, I thought it was nice that they finally found a way to give the First Person Shooter an excuse for why the player always carries ten weapons by the end of the game. Want a reason? Call it Borg or Delta Quad. technology.

Plus the Taurhai have handheld transporters. Granted they're of a higher Tech Level culture, but I'm sure a small Fed transporter could store small items of equipment without such a huge buffer, given that they don't need quantum level storage.

------------------
    "We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."

"Mr.Kalor, give them a full spread of Quantum Torpedoes - let's see if they're right on that last point"

Plus the Taurhai have handheld transporters. Granted they're of a higher Tech Level culture, but I'm sure a small Fed transporter could store small items of equipment without such a huge buffer, given that they don't need quantum level storage.

------------------

"Mr.Kalor, give them a full spread of Quantum Torpedoes - let's see if they're right on that last point"

The taurhai hand held transporter can teleport small non living objects and their replicators can replicate to the quantum level. Just got done going through my romulan box set.

Don't mean to get off topic, but does the quantum level include 4-D quantum structuring or not? Meaning is latinum still unreplicatable?

As quantum level is that used in transporters to beam living tissue around without harm, and we know (I guess) that if a person is carrying latinum it doesn't turn to dust in their pockets when they transport, then I'd say the Taurhai could replicate it. Given that they have no interest in monetary wealth, however, it's doubtful they would bother.

------------------

Actually, the Federation does now have some replicators which simply have to work at a quantum resolution, i.e. the Medical Replicators used by Bashir and the Holodock, which have been used to replicate some living tissues. They've never really made a big deal about it, but it's pretty obvious that these are the operational descendants of the one used to create a new spine for Worf in TNG's Ethics.