Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CODA combat system

Exclamation shotguns kill in CoC!

Originally posted by RIsaacs
    Profit,
    [SNIP]
    ...In Call of Cthulhu you can suvive a shotgun blast...
    Ross, I hate to get off topic here, but in CoC an average character has 10 hp (but it only takes 7 to knock him out) and a shotgun does an average of 14 points (4d6) of damage at close range!

Yes a character *can* survive a shotgun blast, but he probably will not.

BTW: Nice game I can't wait for LotR (where HTH combat will be a much bigger deal...)

Re: shotguns kill in CoC!

Originally posted by MightyCthulhu

Ross, I hate to get off topic here, but in CoC an average character has 10 hp (but it only takes 7 to knock him out) and a shotgun does an average of 14 points (4d6) of damage at close range!

Yes a character *can* survive a shotgun blast, but he probably will not.

BTW: Nice game I can't wait for LotR (where HTH combat will be a much bigger deal...)
    ...and where Boromir got turned into a pincushion before he finally died.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

Re: Re: shotguns kill in CoC!

Originally posted by Erik Filean

...and where Boromir got turned into a pincushion before he finally died.
    I got into a long discussion with someone at work about this very topic. My point was that when a character is killed in 1 shot in LotR it is because of either...

1) the character is a Mook (Orc/unimportant character) which the adventure games models in an effective way by giving them 1 hp..
    2) the character is slain by a VERY nasty adversary such as theoden by the witch king.
    3) the death is dramatically appropriate such as Sauraman by Worm-tongue

I don't recall any other evidence of characters being quickly dispatched in the books.