Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Starfleet Personel (male) have long hair?

Here's an obscure canon cultural example (from TMP). In the Rec Deck scene, there are several Native Americans shown (male and female), and both sexes have the NA tight ponytails AND neckware! You probably won't notice them unless you scene-by-scene the DVD or have some of the "making of" pics.

Deo Vindice!

Originally posted by darkwing duck1
    Here's an obscure canon cultural example (from TMP). In the Rec Deck scene, there are several Native Americans shown (male and female), and both sexes have the NA tight ponytails AND neckware! You probably won't notice them unless you scene-by-scene the DVD or have some of the "making of" pics.

I wonder if they still think clouds are the spirits of their ancestors or have advanced to the water vapor theory...
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Question

Originally posted by qerlin

I wonder if they still think clouds are the spirits of their ancestors or have advanced to the water vapor theory...
    From the canon examples based on the Amerind colonies in TNG and Chakotays religious belief in Voyager, it appears that both are equal and valid to the Amerind culture...

Obviousy the writers felt that the native americans were better able to justify scientific knowledge and spiritual beliefs in the same package than can be said for our christian past!

On the other hand, what has ancestor worship got to do with how long Starfleet lets people wear their hair?
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Originally posted by qerlin

What's up with the 'tude?
    Deo Vindice!

Originally posted by darkwing duck1

What's up with the 'tude?
    I live in New Mexico...cyberluddire probably understands.

Just couldn't resist...
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Okay, now I'm ready to contribute. Well, actually, pose a question along the same lines.

What about tattoos? Not religious or cultural tattoos, but "gee, isn't this sexy" tattoos.

On the face.

Would this be allowed? My gut reaction is no, not unless it has some cultural or religious reason. Sticking Mickey Mouse on your cheek just doesn't fly in Starfleet.

How about a tattoo that says "I squeal for Jem'Hadar?"

Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Ok, that's freaky...and you people complain about whether or not I'm on medication....then again Don actually has a job and real stress...go have a beer or something would you Don?
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Okay, now I'm ready to contribute. Well, actually, pose a question along the same lines.

What about tattoos? Not religious or cultural tattoos, but "gee, isn't this sexy" tattoos.

On the face.

Would this be allowed? My gut reaction is no, not unless it has some cultural or religious reason. Sticking Mickey Mouse on your cheek just doesn't fly in Starfleet.

I'd say no. Just following the professional appearance guideline. As much as tattoos and piercing everything on oneself is popular, it just does NOT look professional.

John Stuart Mill

On the face.

Would this be allowed? My gut reaction is no, not unless it has some cultural or religious reason.
    I'm inclined to agree with qerlin. No, because of the "professional appearance" guideline, unless there's a cultural significance to it (and even then, there's going to probably be some discussion, especially in the 24th century).
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Originally posted by C5
    I guess TOS era would forbid it, but it might be possible in the movie era (I remember at least an Efrosian, if that's their name, serving in a ship in STIV with all his hairs).
    Beards weren't restricted to the TNG era. Captain Terrell and Commander Kyle of the USS Reliant both had beards, as did Captain Bateson of the USS Bozeman.
    But this may also depend also on the CO : when commanding the Enterprise, Jellico asked Troi to wear a conventional uniform, and in VOY, Tuvok asked a Bajoran crewmember to remove his earring. So maybe some CO allow more freedom than others in their crew's appearance.
    It's possible that there is some variation from CO to CO, but probably not very much. I definitely got the impression from Jellico that Starfleet regs permitted the civilian clothes for counselors (a move to make the ship's personnel more comfortable discussing their problems); the bit about the uniform was defnitely his preference (and the fact that Marina Sirtis had wanted to get back into a regular uniform and out of the Denny's waitress outfit for years didn't hurt that process).

Don't even get me started on the hypocrisy of Starfleet in the 24th century regarding Bajoran earrings. It's not pretty.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

((hoping no one jumpsdown my throat))

I proscribe to th military decorum theory. Feamle are allowed to wear their hair any way they want, unless it interfears with the uniform, ie donning a vac suit or rad suit. males must wear it this way also, where it does not interfear with the wearing of a uniform.

As in there are no gas masks, so beards would be allowed as long as they are neat. Hair length could be long on either if held in a way that would not prevent the seal on a vacc suit. which could have explosive problems..

Tattoos are allowed as long as they are in taste and not visible or that if visible are within your racial/religious beleifs, and are not offensive to another race.. as in having the saying "klingons sux" on you hand would not be a good thing in any language..
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

Originally posted by Silverthorne
    ((hoping no one jumpsdown my throat))

I proscribe to th military decorum theory. Feamle are allowed to wear their hair any way they want, unless it interfears with the uniform, ie donning a vac suit or rad suit. males must wear it this way also, where it does not interfear with the wearing of a uniform.

As in there are no gas masks, so beards would be allowed as long as they are neat. Hair length could be long on either if held in a way that would not prevent the seal on a vacc suit. which could have explosive problems..

Tattoos are allowed as long as they are in taste and not visible or that if visible are within your racial/religious beleifs, and are not offensive to another race.. as in having the saying "klingons sux" on you hand would not be a good thing in any language..
    NOTE: I am not jumping down your throat...just in case you thought I was....

I think except for your point about hair and tattoos I always thought that was how Trek military was...for the most part. Neat beards, regulation lenth hair...tattoos only if you were religious (or Ricardo Montalban ) and I think your legs had to be shaved...or is that just William Shatner? The only explosive problem I could see in a vac-suit is if you just had lunch at White Castle...go laugh...you know you want to.
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf