Thread: The Big War

Post The Big War

After reading the DWS and several related posts I've got a couple of comments/questions about the GQ.

Firstly, I'd think (and have put into my game) that there would be a significant group in the post-war UFP that feel if "we'd left well enough alone the Dominion wouldn't have bothered us". That is if Star Fleet had pulled out of the GQ when asked there would have been no war. They could have simply mined the wormhole entrance and gone on with life in the A and B quadrants.

Also - after the war wouldn't that be what you'd do? Mine the wormhole. Even if the Dom was beaten in the A quad, they still have a big military, and no good reason not to try again in a few years. If there is something in the treaty about "free access" then the UFP as the winners should have crossed that out before signing.

Other than "if we close of the wormhole we don't have a TV show" I can't see why they wouldn't blockade/mine it.

Anyone else playing along these lines?

------------------
    TK

toadkiller, we've got a bunch of groups in our campaign with that feeling; the Federation got us into the war through arrogance -- the same kind that allowed them to try to run roughshod over the Baku (and now won't let others in to colonize the planet of eternal youth) -- then left their worlds to be overrun by the Dominion.

Mostly, it's the Benzites, Betazoids, and a couple of the other outlying colonies that are really worked up. They are also being fed propaganda by the Orions and Ferengi, who want to open up the 'communist monolith that is the UFP' to their trade.

A lot of people are worked up, and it's shown in our campaign in a sereis of votes of no confidence that have topple two administrations in as many years -- Jaresh Inyo, and President (formerly CPT) Moraz of Andor. The current government is headed by PResident Spock, who is a compromise between various groups.

No way would Bajor allow the Federation to close the wormhole. Remember, the wormhole is the Celestial Temple, and the home of the Prophets. Bajorans are too dependent on the wormhole aliens for spirital guidance to allow them to be cut off. When the wormhole was closed at the end of DS9 season 6, there was a great deal of unrest on Bajor, and I'd be amazed if Bajorans would allow themselves to be put in the same situation again.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

When you win a war with another nation, you don't break off all contact... you initiate contact so that there is more mutual understanding. Hopefully then there won't be another war.

Besides, are you going to write off 1/4 of the galaxy just because somebody lives there that doesn't play nice? With that attitude the Federation would never have expanded after meeting the Romulans, Klingons, Tholians, Cardassians.....

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

Cool

I'd agree with the fact that the Bajorans would never allow for the closure of the wormhole. The Treaty Of Bajor states that all alpha and gamma quadrant species have the right to free transit using the wormhole to conduct trade, cultural and scientific studies as well as other peaceful exchanges. Mining the wormhole I think would count as a hostile act and in contravention of the treaty.

I've created several episodes where my crew will be involved in a membership review of a potential new species where the Dominion will also take part the Dominion will try their best to get the planet without force by using their Vorta counterparts to "diplomatically convince" the planet to join them and not the Federation.

Should be fun, as the implications of a Dominion world in the Alpha quadrant would be unsettling at best.

Any ideas or suggestions for a series of episodes like this?

One little thing you people forget:

The non-aggression pact between Bajor and the Dominion was never cancelled. The Dominion has the right to access to Bajor under it.

You may flame when ready......

To clarify my first post: I'm not saying that the wormhole can't be closed, I just wanted to point out the way the Bajorans are likely to feel about anyone trying to close it.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.