Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules I Like (or "How is he feeling...emotionally?":))

Rules I Like (or "How is he feeling...emotionally?":))

Well, after the last couple sessions of my Trek game, I thought I'd post about a few things in Coda Trek that just blow my socks off.

First off, starship combat. The combat system rocks! In the space of five rounds, the Intrepid-class USS Blackthorne took out three Hirogen Hunters with absolutely no damage to itself. We used the "Running Silent" rules (NG p. 103), and lots of nifty maneuvers. Of course, it helps that Don plays the Captain in my game and has been itching to try out dsome of his maneuvers...

Seocnd off, Empathy to project emotion (PG p. 126). Nothing works better to scare of a 3 meter tall ape-thing with a hankering for "Starfleet land sushi" than a good jolt of fear, judicious use of an environmental suit's headlamps and some great rolls. The moral of this story? Never underestimate the Betazoids.

In short, the game hase been going great and we're finding new and creative uses for all sorts of mechanics outlined in the books. Let me know if you want me to and I'll keep doing updates of cool things we find.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

I'm definitely interested!

Hopefully my new regular gaming group will get off the ground in the next few weeks, I'm eager to GM Trek again.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

I'm opening the Star Trek RPG season very soon, too! Most likely next week we'll begin with "Star Trek: Crossroads", a very unoriginal idea which I expect to do something about discovering those who really roleplay and those who just throw dice, and encouraging them to act their characters.

Combat system? I ain't be seeing combat for a while, but I see people is quite "jazzed" about it.

(ow, Betazoids... we have a Betazoid monk among us... hope he does something worthy )
    Insurance is like marriage. You pay and pay but you never get anything back. - Al Bundy

I'm very interested! My ICON campaign is currently stalled in the middle of an adventure wich I wait to be finished before switching to CODA, but I'd like to know how other Narrators fare.

Especially with the Unarmed Combat rules (no, that's not an obsession )...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

The starship combat system is quite versatile: our Narrator used it to good effect when the Crew had mere minutes in which to divert the energy stream from a terraforming particle fountain before it swept over a Martian settlement. It made for a very satisfyingly intense game moment.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Talking

I just enjoy finding new and interesting uses for my Orbital Skydiving skill! Whoo hoo baby!

Every time we play we find another thing that we just love about Coda. Considering how painful the playtest was, I think we're due.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    I just enjoy finding new and interesting uses for my Orbital Skydiving skill!
    Other than making academic tests to remember the lyrics to "Benson, Arizona"?

(Points to the first film fan who can tell me what film that song is from, plus the director and writer and what was notable about the film for both.)
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Please...!

"Dark Star," which was John Carpenter's first film as a writer and director. Doesn't everyone know that?

(Actually, neither did I. Shows you what I can do with Google and 60 seconds...)
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

I remember that movie... ouch... it hurt a lot...

So Don, Orbital Skydiving eh?

Tell us some tales of how you have used it thus far?

Originally posted by RaconteurX
    Other than making academic tests to remember the lyrics to "Benson, Arizona"?

(Points to the first film fan who can tell me what film that song is from, plus the director and writer and what was notable about the film for both.)
    Try harder.

It's the theme song for John Carpenter and Dan O'Bannon's first film, Dark Star. Besides it being their first flick from their college days, I can't seem to recall anything particularly notable about it.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Man, there are a lot of people answering at once....
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Talking

Originally posted by PGoodman13
    Man, there are a lot of people answering at once....
    Dude, I beat you by over 30 minutes.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Thumbs up

In my character's first appearance as the XO I was put in command and had to rescue some Maquis from a Cardassian facility. We snuck in a cloaked ship and made planetfall by orbital skydiving in. It rocked. The look on everyone's faces when I told them how we were going to gain entry to the facility was priceless.

Next, I do a lot of holodeck simulations and got the counselor hooked (a fellow Betazoid) in the visceral fun of freefalling through the atmosphere. She's now the Captain's Woman (I made CO). ("There's no point in living if you can't feel alive.")

In this latest adventure the two of us escaped an exploding shuttlecraft in orbit by skydiving out just in time. The counselor's primary and reserve cute failed. I had to cut my primary chute, freefall to her, grapple her (at some insane speed), and then deploy and land the two of us using my reserve chute. Those were some hard tests, let me tell you! (Much expenditure of courage was required.) The studliness of the captain was confirmed.

All-in-all I've used this "fluff" hobby skill more than any other. You don't want to know what my Influence (Seduce) bonus is. I even made it a Professional skill!

I Love This Game!
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Originally posted by PGoodman13

Try harder.

It's the theme song for John Carpenter and Dan O'Bannon's first film, Dark Star. Besides it being their first flick from their college days, I can't seem to recall anything particularly notable about it.
    Actually, I found the smart bomb in existential crisis quite entertaining.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    ...The counselor's primary and reserve cute failed...
    Cut her some slack, Don. No amount of makeup would make a person look good under those circumstances.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra