Thread: Skill Questions

Post Skill Questions

Hi,

Been trolling the boards for a while reading, but now getting ready to actually play.

I've seen this answered but could not find it with a search or browsing the boards.

if you have a intellect +2 and then get science:space +2, science:stellar phenomon +1, would you then have basic science +2 and science:space +4, science:stellar Phenomon +3

Under helm/navigator it has Engineering:flight control +2 and then system ops:flight control +3, do these stack or complement each other in any way? when rolling TN's or am i missing something.

thanks

Hmmm. I detect confusion.

First off, there is no "basic science" skill. Science is a Skill Group.. When you take Science, you must take one of the skills within that group: Life Science, Physical Science, Planetary Science, Social Science, or Space Science. So a character with a +2 Intellect bonus might receive Science: Space Science +2 (i.e., the skill with two levels), which becomes +4 with the Intellect bonus.

Second, I would consider "Stellar Phenomena" to be a specialization under Science: Space Science, although I would prefer to call it Astrophysics. Your character with the +2 Intellect bonus and Science: Space Science +2 might obtain this specialization in a couple of different ways. He might receive a specialization as part of a development package, or he might spend an advancement pick to buy it. In either case, the proper notation would be Science: Space Science (Astrophysics) +2 [or +4 with the Intellect bonus factored in], and the character would then receive an additional +2 bonus where the Astrophysics specialization applies.

As for the Engineering: System Engineering (Flight Control) and System Operation (Flight Control) skill/specializations: you may take a +1 affinity bonus to the System Engineering skill for the System Operation skill, but not vice versa. The idea is that if you are trained to run flight control systems, this gives you some knowledge or instinct for how those systems are put together that you can apply to repair or modification using the System Engineering skill. However, being familiar with the engineering theory or application will not help you plot a course or maneuver in combat.

Notice, however, that you do get a +1 affinity bonus to System Operation from your Computer Use skill.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

Erik is dead on in his assessment of the situation.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Your tricorder heats up and overloads on the confusion setting

Thanks
    Garet