Thread: Investigator Elite Profession: Thoughts and Pointers?

Investigator Elite Profession: Thoughts and Pointers?

I'm working on an Investigator elite profession with the likes of Odo in mind, although I'm trying to make it useful for characters in any profession and with a range of organizational ties. I thought it might be helpful to post the first draft of the prerequisites, professional skills, and professional abilities for feedback. In particular, if somebody has suggestions for skills that might be added to or removed from the Forensic Science professional ability, I'd like to hear it. Balance is a lesser issue on this since a player has to take the ability separately for each skill.

Since this is my first elite profession, the abilities are closely based on ones from the PG professions and elite professions in mechanics and tier.

PREREQUISITES: Perception 8+, Savvy +2, Investigate 4+, Inquire 3+, Observe 3+.

PROFESSIONAL SKILLS: Appraise, Computer Use, Influence, Inquire, Investigate, Observe.

PROFESSIONAL ABILITIES
    The following abilities are characteristic of investigator. A player character automatically gains one Tier 1 professional ability upon entering the investigator elite profession. Additional abilities can be chosen freely through advancement (see pages 152-153 of the ST:RPG Player’s Guide), provided the character meets the ability prerequisites.

TIER 1 PROFESSIONAL ABILITIES
    POWERS OF OBSERVATION: Investigators rely on their ability to notice small and seemingly irrelevant details of environments, people and objects that may provide answers to their questions. When making an Observe skill test, the investigator rolls an extra die (3d6), but keeps the highest two rolls. The rule for rolling double 6’s still applies.

INVESTIGATIVE SPECIALTY: Many investigators specialize in a particular professional task—interrogation, data compilation, evidence analysis, crime-scene investigation, and so on. When choosing this ability the investigator names one professional skill as his forte. Once per game session, the investigator can reroll one test result when using the named skill and use the better of the two results.

TIER 2 PROFESSIONAL ABILITIES
    FORENSIC SCIENCE: Investigators find applied knowledge from a variety of fields valuable in reconstructing events and evaluating clues. When choosing this ability, the investigator selects one skill—Demolitions, Engineering (any), Knowledge (any), Medicine, or Science (any)—and acquires that skill at level 1 with the specialty “Forensics.” The chosen skill also counts as a professional skill for purposes of specialty acquisition and advancement. The investigator can upgrade this professional ability, naming a new skill each time the ability is selected. PREREQUISITE: Powers of Observation.

SHAKEDOWN: Investigators become adept at using sympathy and intimidation to get information from witnesses and suspects. When making an Inquire (Interrogation) skill test, the investigator receives an affinity bonus equal to one-half his Influence skill level, rounding up. PREREQUISITE: Inquire (Interrogation) 6+.

TIER 3 PROFESSIONAL ABILITIES
    DETECTIVE’S INTUITION: Investigators often must produce hypothetical reconstructions of events, profiles of suspects’ personalities, and other informed speculations from scanty clues and personal knowledge and experience. Once per episode, the investigator can make an Investigate (Deduce) skill test (TN 15) to formulate a relevant hypothesis assisted by the Narrator. If the test is successful, the Narrator gives the player a hint based on the degree of success, with greater success warranting stronger clues.
    Although this ability exists to help players solve investigative dilemmas and drive the episode forward, the Narrator should only guide the player. Outright answers should only be given when the challenge represents a minor component of a grander mission objective. In such cases, the Narrator may wish to give the investigator sufficient information to help him surpass the puzzle and get back on track. PREREQUISITE: Forensic Science.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

I like it. I like playing that kind of character, and they come in handy as NPC's when I run a game for the guys.
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"