Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea Tyger Class Cruiser Round Table

Sea Tyger Class Cruiser Round Table

This is not a thread for the stats, yet.

Right now it is a roundtable ASDB mentality of figuring the bones and specifics of Starfleet's newest vessel, the Sea Tyger Class Standard Cruiser.

A workhorse for the late 24th century and into the 25th.

This was inspired by thsi thread .

If you want to discuss the merits of making a new ship for this role, the above thread is the place to opinionate.

Here is to be creative

Ideas? Questions? Suggestions?

the USS Sea Tyber NX-28001 stands ready to be built

Are we looking at something military, exploration or a balance of both?

Long range/ short range?

Size?

Or do we just submit proposals?

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Definitely not married to the name.

Well, my idea is to make the ship well-rounded. Size 5-6. Decent defenses, some speed. No preference over phasers or torps. Can take some hits, with a little extra cargo space. Standard transporter config, a couple of tractor beams, and probably 2 shuttlebays. Maneuver mods are balanced as much as possible.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

What about a cruiser that is fast, has some O-value, and a nice compact size 5. I agree that it needs 2 shuttlebays to fit the Delta Flyer into

Remember the discussion is your standard good at everything, exceptional in JACK SHIT, cruiser.

Not to big not to small. Larger then size 4, for that would be like frigate/destroyer (latter term not really used in Starfleet due to its warlike deminer). No larger then a size 7 cause that would bring it into the league of the Nebula and Ambassador.

Therefore the size 5-6 is most fitting. I would state size 5 would be about right. About the size of the old Mirandas, but not as large as the new Akiras (which is size 6).

She'll have to be able to defend herself on her own. However, she can't take more then an average amount of damage, nor dish out death like an akira or larger vessel.

Basically the word of the day is just that: AVERAGE.

However, I like the idea of being able to switch modules so she can be specialized if needed, but rarely used.

Howabout a saucer kinda like the Akira. Have the top half of the saucer dedicated to crew and labs, and what not. With your old standard one way in and out shuttle bay in the rear. But on the bottom of the saucer have your nav-deflector and your engineering, cargo, etc. with your Nacelles fitting right below the saucer which is molded so the Nacelles don't stick out, but rather work inside the standard curve. Does anyone picture what I'm talking about? I mean the nacelles tucked into the Saucer kinda and the Nav-Def being in between the nacelles kinda in a Akiraesk type thing.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

It sounds like you’re referring to is something like a flying saucer, it seems like it might be a bit stocky for a Federation ship, but that’s just me, perhaps a setup like the Centaur or the SFB light cruiser (pylons attach to the saucer, just aft of the bridge), something like the design at http://www.lcarscom.net/fsd/art/images/ica-1.jpg

On a related note one thing to keep in mind is that after the Dominion War, Starfleet may have a need of “warm bodies” to fill duties, so instead of using advanced technology along the lines of the Akira or Sovereign level, Starfleet may want something that is more along the lines of the Galaxy in terms of technological advancement, this is just a thought.

-Kodiak

Ooh, that's a pretty ship. Let's pirate it!

I agree that the ship should be above average in everything, but since the technology is there, let's use it where we can.

Of course, I'm not saying we should slap pulse phasers and quantum torpedoes on board, but let's use the best available conventional weapons for Size 5 (Type IX phasers and Type VI torps).

No separation system, no atmosphere capability...that'll save a couple of points.

2 points into cargo (for 60 total), 4 points for the 2 shuttlebays, 1 point for a second tractor beam, 1 point for the second set of transporters (to provide 4 each).

I'm thinking we can go with .9c for max impulse, and use Class 6A2 warp drives (wf 6/8/9.2). We probably also want Class 6 shields (17/4), for 14 points.

Since this is an all-around ship, I'd say we put Ops, Life Support and Sensors at Class 3 (5, 5 and 3 points each).

So, that would mean 35 points for everything except propulsion and weapons...leaving us 30 points...if we can get away with 10 points on propulsion...we'll have 20 points to spend on weapons.

There, since this is a cruiser, we can put more into torps than phasers (maybe say only a max of two Type IX phasers [maybe we get away with one], and put the rest into the Type V or VI torps).

Thoughts?
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I personally don't like the picture. Good Saucer section scetch . . . but having the nacelles out there make them vanurable and also limit the arc of fire that an upper Phaser array would have.

As for weapons . . . not to many. Remember you're going for Multi-Purpose. Although there can be a little more then average due to the Post DW world.

So that means you have to balance out a little better then average medical capability, and some scientific capability to boot.

But more Torps then Phasers . . . I can see that. More bang for your SU buck. And use your phasers for Point Defense and for close in combat.

I myself always like to tuck away two peregrines when I can into any vessel that could accomadate it. Nothing like having an extra 12 Photon Torpedo Launchers to come on your side of the battle. Even if that's only for a couple rounds of combat. If only some of them hit that's 200 point of damage a hit! (using Spacedock rules of course).

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I agree with all of your points and the design, Sea Tyger, although maybe an extra phaser would be in order, to reduce the stress on the Federation's industrial base.

-Kodiak
    P.S. If you want me to see what I can do about making a ruff 3d model of the ship, I'll see what I can do.

A ruff that I'm working on now, U.S.S. Indra NX-77634:

JALU3, now that you point out the problems with the design, I have to agree with you, by attaching them to top of the bridge structure (the bridge seems to attached by struts to the hull), the design may not be the best for combat, if the pylons moved so that they attached to the spine of the hull further aft, I think it would still keep the feel of the ship, but would give the phasers larger fire arcs, exept to the rear, depending on how you arrange the phasers.

-Kodiak

Kodiak I like the way she looks. Very Rhode Island/Nova

Is it your design?

Certainly whatever the Sea Tger looks like, she should follow the new Nova/Soverign design mentality

Starfleet ships that look cool IMHO.

As for the point totals, Sea Tyger I think you are right on the money. BUt how many points will be be left over with?

Hi, guys. Trying to break 100 posts tonight. Kodiak, very cool ruff sketch, please post updates on progress. I have no artistic talent, but love to watch a creation take shape.
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

Originally posted by AslanC

Certainly whatever the Sea Tger looks like, she should follow the new Nova/Soverign design mentality
    Okay, let me see if I can describe the ship I'm envisioning. Take a vaguely ovoid saucer hull, along the lines of the Sovereign or the design Kodiak referenced earlier, but the aft quarter cut about a third of the way along the radius.

On the dorsal side, I envision an Akira-like front third arc, where the shuttlebays openings face forward just below the bridge deck (similar to the indentation you show in the front arc of your model, but smoother). The rest of the ship is normal for a saucer.

On the ventral side, the saucer progresses normally in the front, but angles down sharply to accomodate the deflector dish. From there, it would proceed back up to midline of the saucer (IOW, a sharper angle aft than forward).

Twin struts hang from the ventral aft saucer to fit the engineering pod, which includes photon torpedoes and the impulse drive.

At that point, I'm not sure where I want to place the warp nacelles, either off the saucer itself (dorsal or ventral), or off the the pod.

Is that enough to work with K?
    Last edited by Sea Tyger; 09-29-2002 at 08:58 PM.
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by AslanC
    As for the point totals, Sea Tyger I think you are right on the money. BUt how many points will be be left over with?
    Okay, let's see...

At Size 5, we start with 65 points:

2 for cargo (+10)
    4 points for shuttlebays (10 size worth)
    1 point for additional tractor beam (1 FV, 1A)
    1 point for additional allotment of transporters (4 each standard, cargo, emergency)
    14 points for shields (Class 6 [17/4])
    13 points for Ops, LS, Sensors (Class 3 each)

That costs 35. I was hoping to limit the propulsion costs to 10 points (for both impulse and warp), leaving 20 points for phasers and torpedoes. We can limit phasers to Type VIII or IX...find a way to put two in under 10-12 points. The rest go into Type V torps, which we get a discount on. I was hoping to get three Type Vs, which would probably limit us to 1 phaser.
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

I think I am envisioning this wrong myself Sea Tyger as I can't really get an idea of what it looks like in my head.

Any chance you could draw up the rough (even if it is just shapes) by hand and get it scanned in?