Thread: Idealism v Realpolitik (long post)

Lightbulb Idealism v Realpolitik (long post)

Reading the debates over the past year here about the repercussions of 9/11 and subsequent actions, even an idiot would notice that European posters and US posters sit - generally speaking - in two different camps. Fair enough, we come from very different cultures in a lot of ways and recent history has taught us different lessons. It's a fascinating discussions to watch, at any rate.

One thing that strikes me though, is how people on each side freely mix their ideals in with the realities driving events, and how often we seem to attack one another when we mistake the latter for the former. US posters generally feel that they are fully justified in their military actions (Afghanistan, Iraq?) from a moral viewpoint, and that it is only common sense to take protective measures like these - and if they also bring more stability/control to a key economic region, so much the better. European posters are generally morally warier of military responses, seeking diplomatic solutions and very specific definitions of who the enemy is, and what is justifiable in pursuing/eliminating them; at the same time, they know, often from recent historical experience, that real effort has to go into building relationships with other peoples (including recent foes) as an essential requirement to normalising and civilising relations.

My point, insofar as there is one , is that maybe it would take some of the heat out of discussions on these subjects if people were more distinct in making clear whether a point they are making arises from a moral or realpolitical opinion. Some of the more aggressive discussions here seem to arise from confusion on this point.

So, I'd like to use this thread to know where people stand on the whole War on Terror issue, but I want people to separate out what they think should happen morally, and what they think is likely/makes sense from a realpolitik point of view. This isn't a discussion on right or wrong in this issue, merely statements of opinion. I think it could be interesting.

Given that I've started this, I'd better kick off:

Moral Standpoint:
    I don't like war. I think it's stupid, wasteful and often causes as many problems as it solves. However, in some cases it is the only solution, and this may well be one of them. Terrorism in any form is reprehensible, be it carried out by a small group of insurgents or by the military machine of a state. It is generally the last resort of an ideological minority attempting to impose its desires on the majority, which is wrong in any circumstances. No effort should be spared in making this form of "political expression" morally unacceptable - and I apply this to all forms of terrorism. I have no problem in applying ruthless military force to such movements, though it should be a scalpel and not a bludgeon. It should be made clear to terrorists that their behaviour will see them regarded as hostile military threats, and that they will be treated accordingly.
    I also don't like the big Western powers wrapping agendas in the language of extremism and moral righteousness - that kind of talk makes me nervous.

Realpolitik Standpoint:
    War is messy and generally never accomplishes exactly what you wanted it to if you win. It's impossible to be precise and clean when military options are used. The human element makes things to unpredictable. However, when you are dealing with people whose world-view is fundamentally different from yours, and you have no other real leverage over them, force is a legitimate tool.

Your economic interests are also paramount, particularly in the modern global economy where any threat to economic wellbeing can have dramatic long-term consequences, and you owe it to your citizens to maintain and improve their prosperity in relation to the rest of the world. If that means taking action to remove potential generators of instability, that makes sense.

However, the flip-side of the coin is that the global economy means that ultimately there's no sense in making implacable enemies if you can help it, because the more people are in the game the better it is for all of us, and if we all have an economic stake in the status quo we'll work that much harder to protect it from the destablising influences that arise from time to time. Look at Japan after WWII as a perfect example of how to do it right, and Germany after WWI as a perfect example of how not to. If this requires that you have to compromise in your beliefs, even if you feel you have been grievously wronged from a moral point of view, perhaps you can swallow that for the greater good.

An excellent recent example pertinent to the current situation would be the Peace Process in Ireland. In the past five years, almost every prisoner being held in UK and Irish prisons for terrorist offenses has been released - even people who were sentenced to 25 years in prison for murdering British civilians a few years previously. Morally, I don't like it - if you kill someone illegaly you should be punished. However, as a realist I know that releasing these people was an essential bargaining chip in allowing the terrorist movements to let go of the confrontational rhetoric, giving them room within their own communities to achieve some flexibility in their own responses. Could the same argument apply to Al Qaida and Taliban prioners held in Cuba? I don't know.

BTW, the people on this forum are generally the most civilised, articulate and informed that I've encountered on the 'net. We rock !
    “Maintain the mystery, and don't try to think unthinkabilities...”
    Iain M Banks, 2003, on the Art of writing good SF.

These are indeed troubling times, The peddling of political agendas under the guide of righteousness has typically plunged those involved into war, and generally not to the advantage of the so-called "righteous". The question becomes whether we... and the world... can hold out for another two years of Bush presidency, when saner minds may prevail in the election process.

Blaise Pascal once said, "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." This is as true for the United States as it is for al-Qaeda... however our religion is the ideology of patriotism. By draping himself in the American flag, Bush is in danger of becoming the Stalin or Hitler of a new era.

I wonder if someday we will ask ourselves what Bush knew about the impending attacks, and when, much as some now wonder about Roosevelt and Pearl Harbor. I hope not, but I fear we may.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Arrow

Believe me when I say that war is not the first choice I'd make. I would have liked a better, peaceful solution to remove the threat to ensure our security. But Saddam is not willing to back down nor is he seeking peace. He is playing a game of stalling while he improve his situation and resources so he can strike back, and he will.

Ideally, I would rather that someone INSIDE Iraq to finally take a stand against his government. I'm hoping the Iraqi military would get tired of this man, especially the Republican Guards who were so easily captured. Or that the Kurds would form something similar to the Northern Alliance.

Even saner minds know that we should put a stop to Hussein once and for all.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

The Kurds have tried to form something similar to the Northern Alliance on a couple of occaisions. They have a few problems that way. First, Kurds are a definite minority in the country. Second, they want to form a seperate Kurdish state, including the Kurds in Turkey. Third, they are divided themselves and their leaders go in for a lot of in-fighting and one-upsmanship, thus dissolving much of their unity.

Don't look to the Kurds (on their own) to oust Hussein -- they don't have the numbers, the money or the backing. Conversely, if Hussein falls, look to the Kurds to demand their own state.

I think that Calguard has made some excellent points on why we should attack Iraq in another thread, I have my own reasons known as well.

The U.S.A. is trying to protect its citizens, its interests and its allies from people like Hussein who wouldn't mind killing a few hundred thousand Americans for the hell of it.

RaconteurX: Stating that Bush is like Hitler or Stalin is simply false. You obviously don't have the slightest clue what Stalin was capable of, let alone Hitler. The slaughter of countless millions brought Stalin to power, while Hitler purposefully targeted Jews and Slavs for extermination. Bush has done neither to become president and he has gone out of his way in order to appease anti-arabic/muslim sentiments in his administration and in the public.

As far as I'm concerned, Bush can go on for another term, better him than Clinton or Gore. The amount of national secrets Clinton allowed to be leaked by his inaction and Gore's populist approach to politics makes me ill.

As you may have guessed I subscribed to Realpolitiks.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

Excellent thread and posts.

I couldn't disagree more that Bush is stepping into the shoes of Hitler and Stalin. We've seen what happened when Clinton was in power in regards to terrorists. Asprin factory, anyone? Heck, the man wasn't sure what the definition of "is" is. I shudder at the thought of where we would be if Gore was calling the shots right about now.

I'm not sure how I feel about an ivasion of Iraq. Iraq agreed to certian conditions during the Gulf War which kept the Allies out of Baghdad. Those conditions have not been met. They've been flaunted. I feel that Iraq is saying to the international community "What are you going to do about it?" I feel that the reply is "We're not going to do anything about it." But does that justify war? Our closest "allies" in the region don't want us rolling in, and with good reason. Their populaces aren't exactly fond of their current government, esp in Saudi.

Perhaps before the USA goes in and makes Iraq a parking lot, and I believe we can do just that, maybe the EU should be given a shot at spearheading the negotiaions with Iraq. But can European diplomats get anywhere without there being real consequences for non-compliance, as has been the status quo? Or maybe the threat of US military action would give the EU the diplomatic opening that is needed?

I'm all for talking, but actions need consequences. I think we're very close to having talked long enough. Lets hope that I'm wrong.
    Freedom is a package deal - with it comes responsibilities and consequences.<BR>
    <B>England forever!!! Scotland just a <i>wee</i> bit longer.</B>

"By draping himself in the American flag, Bush is in danger of becoming the Stalin or Hitler of a new era."

Bunk.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Regarding religion as the "root of all evil", historically religion has only come into war after the battle lines have been drawn. Stalin never asked the Potentate to decry the Nazis until he needed the Church's support to mobilize his people. Traditionally, most wars start because someone wants something someone else has, and then they start using religion, ideology, economics or whatever to justify it. Even the Israel/Palestine situation is more about the Israelis wanting a place to live, taking it from the Palestinians, and the Palestinians fighting back. The religious aspect just gives them an excuse. Same when the Israelis claim "historically, there is no such thing as a Palestinian people". So they lived in Palestine, but they're not Palestinians because they didn't have a central authority? That's like saying Native Americans weren't a people, which made it OK to take their la... Wait, I think I might have stumbled on something here...
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

Palestine = Region, not Country.

Analogues: Appalachia, US; Scandinavia and Iberia, Europe; Siberia, Asia; Patagonia, South America
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Originally posted by First of Two
    Palestine = Region, not Country.

Analogues: Appalachia, US; Scandinavia and Iberia, Europe; Siberia, Asia; Patagonia, South America
    Asia = Continent not region
    South America = See above.

Just thought while we were poiting stuff out.

"," = "in", Aslan

Appalachia, in the USA (is a part of one country, but includes parts of more than one state
    Siberia, a region in Asia (includes parts of more than one country)
    Scandinavia, in Europe (comprises several countries)
    Iberia, in Europe (comprises more than one country)
    Patagonia, in S.A. (I believe includes more than one country)

Palestine, in Asia (or in Asia Minor, if you want to use another regional name), includes more than one country (Israel, Lebanon, and some of the 'territories' of the West Bank and Gaza.)
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook