Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sona in Dominion War

Question

I could of sworn the Ba'ku incident occurred
    around DS9's "Statistical Probabilities" where there was a brief period of "Dominion negotiations" something similar to what Riker
    mentioned in "Insurrection" about the diplimatic core being busy with. Until the Romulans joined the alliance ("In The Pale Moonlight") it appeared doubtful whether the Federation could hold out much longer (ie. Vreenak's comment on "peace-feelers" etc.) which made Ru'Afo's "scent of death" of the Federation comment to Admiral Dougherty all the more poignant. Am I wrong about the timeframe? Ru'Afo also pointed out to Dougherty that the Federation had been challenged over the past 24 months namely by the Borg, Cardassia and the Dominion. The Dominion War was just two years long ending in late 2375 but Ru'Afo could have also implied the earlier Klingon conflict that happened in 2372 as well.

As I understood it Weyoun, Insurrection took place during the Dominion War and have so placed it in all my campaigns.

Regards,
    CKV.

Was there a time when Worf was away from DS9, at the Manzar Colony, IIRC - was this mentioned in an episode?

If so, that'd place it perfectly, since that's when Worf arrives in Insurrection and Picard gets him to delay his return to DS9...

------------------
    "Every atom in our bodies was forged in the furnace of ancient stars - it is our destiny to return home..."

Star Trek: Insurrection takes place after the Dominion War.

This is assumed based on Adar Rua'fo's comments regarding the Federation being challenged by every major power in the quadrant during the past 18 months... "the Borg, the Dominion," and so forth.

Further, the Federation accepted Regent Cuzar and her people into the fold in order to "rebuild after the war," IIRC.

I also read somewhere that it was set shortly after the Dominion War, though where I cannot recall.

mactavish out.

But after the end of the Dominion War, Worf was no longer a Starfleet Lt Cmdr - he was the Federation Ambassador to Qu'onos...

------------------
    "Every atom in our bodies was forged in the furnace of ancient stars - it is our destiny to return home..."

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aldaron:
    But after the end of the Dominion War, Worf was no longer a Starfleet Lt Cmdr - he was the Federation Ambassador to Qu'onos...
    </font>
    True enough as we witnessed Ezri, who stayed on DS9 with her new found beau Bashir, wave him goodbye as he was leaving the station for good. With the war over, Jadzia dead for about a year, and the realization that he and Ezri were just best off as good friends there was nothing to keep Worf behind on DS9. If it weren't for a few references here and there in the dialogue of "Insurrection" (and DS9's "Penumbra" episode) I can understand the viewpoint of it occurring post-war though. Personally do whatever works to your intrepretation as mactavish mentioned earlier anyway.

[This message has been edited by Weyoun11 (edited 05-19-2001).]

Going off the encyclopedia for Worf's entry. It looks like Insurrection was before the last weeks of the war. Say a month before the end?

------------------
    SIRSIG
    AKA: SirPostalot
    AKA: The MapMaker
    AKA: The Trek Cartographer
    AKA:...Well I could keep going forever

In my campaign we played the events of Insurrection as being chronologically aligned with DS9. I know it came out in December 1998. If I remember correctly, it was a little after "Siege of AR-558."

So this was way way before the end of the Dominion War, when things were still very grim but turning around for Starfleet and the allied powers.

I also remember that Worf wasn't featured much in the episodes that followed. I don't know if that was planned or just coninsidence. It was the lull when shows are repeated since everyone is out having Thanksgiving dinner or traveling to be with family for Christmas. Or like me bugging the local theatre for a copy of the movie poster and tickets to the first showing.

Hope this helps.

Insurrection was during the dominion war. As I recall, near the beginning of the movie some of the characters express frustration at not being on the front lines but instead rushing around "putting out fires" to free up other ships.

In another thread I describe in detail the sound strategic reasons for this placement of the Enterprise, counter-intuitive as it may seem.

Despite the discontinuity with Worf, I'm still convinced that Insurrection is set shortly after the conclusion of the Dominion War.

The comment made in the film is that they are tired of being kept from their exploratory duties and having to "put out brush fires" in the post-war chaos.

Further, the Son'a (as Dominion allies) would certainly never be able to "get into bed" with the UFP so easily.

Sure there are several elements that don't jive with what we learned from DS9 and other sources, but I am sure that I've read that the film was set after the war.

Of course I could be completely wrong, too.

What the heck... set it whenever you want; it really makes no difference to me what you do in your campaign. In my campaign, Worf was still an ambassador, but he continued to hold his Starfleet rank as well (as a courtesy). That's how I explain the apparent error in the film (if it is set after the Dominion War).

mactavish out.

Mactavish:

While you might have indeed read that somewhere, the context of Insurrection makes it clear that it is occuring during the ongoing conflict with the Dominion. The justification for rushing the 'fish-like' race at the beginning into the Federation, and the medical benefits that the Son'a medical technology would provide are both clearly stated as helping the war effort.

Talking

I to agree that Insurection occured after the war was over.

Does anyone thing Paramount plans these errors just to drive hard core fans nutty. The writers were haveing fun, the made quotes in the movie that support both the war was still going on, and that it was over. There sitting at home now laughing at us trying to make sense of it all, and Just wait till the enterprise series starts. Nitpickers get ready for alot of ST history rewrites and errors.

Christian said: The justification for rushing the 'fish-like' race at the beginning into the Federation, and the medical benefits that the Son'a medical technology would provide are both clearly stated as helping the war effort.

Where is that stated clearly? It was my understanding that they were brought into the Federation, and that the Son'a were allies, because of all that was lost during the war and that the UFP was trying to rebuild after the fact.

I just watched Insurrection again last night and found no reference of any kind as to whether it was before, during, or after the Dominion War.

I cannot imagine that a new race would be inducted into the UFP in the middle of a quadrant-wide conflict, and I find it harder to believe that they'd take the time to have a big old reception aboard the Enterprise-E while the rest of Starfleet was busy getting their butts kicked.

Again, that is just my take on things.

mactavish out.

Exclamation

As I understand the canon timeline, Insurrection occurs during the war. If 2374 is roughly the date of first contact then we can assume that they started negotiating right after they met them. I think the admiral in the movie at one point says to Picard that they need allies badly against the Dominion. Wasn't that what the movie was about, that a shady species was being allowed into the federation without proper investigations into their affairs.
    As for how powerful Son'a ships are: I imagine trading in illegal weapons and ketracel white would make anyone filthy rich. Anyone for quarters made for kings and latinum plated floors? Selling goods during the war at 5 times the price would probably make you rich enough to modify you ship. Although you could have a ship which is significantly weaker(may have failed a couple of pirate raids).
    I'd say the Son'a are more like Ferengi, although they have more pride in themselves. Ferengi ships vary greatly depending on the fortunes of their commander.
    Well in the end its up to the individual narrator, in mine the Son'a and Ferengi are almost the same except they have more principles are nastier to deal with.

I worked for Section 31 and all I got was this stupid T-shirt!

Where did the Baku come from orginally?

Wouldn't the Sona have a potentially large ally from their homeworld which would be suffering from enivronmental collapse or whatever was effecting it?

Just a thought I was pondering.

Brian K