Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ablative Armour for Fighters

Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom, Earth, Sector 001

Ablative Armour for Fighters

I have a questiion for Don, Doug, Jesse (Uncle Tom Cobbly and his dog )

If a size 2 vessel (runabout, fighter etc) has ablative armour, could the armour be repaired aboard their mother ship, as opposed to at a starbase.

Thank you for your time.
    -------------------------
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

"In time of war, the law falls silent"

Admiral Ross to Dr Bashir

I would say yes. I don't know how feasible having Ablative Armor on a size 2 vessel would be but since there's nothing that says you can't do it; go for it!

A bit more realistic way would be to just trade in the space for structure, although Ablative Armor's main advantage is that it lets you take 10 points of damage (5 for AA, 5 for the first row of structure) without triggering a roll on the system damage chart.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Thanks for the quick response Don.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Don Mappin
    A bit more realistic way would be to just trade in the space for structure, although Ablative Armor's main advantage is that it lets you take 10 points of damage (5 for AA, 5 for the first row of structure) without triggering a roll on the system damage chart.
    Wouldn't the space-for-armor trade be prohibited by the ship's structure (i.e., you're not allowed to reduce ship's structure by more than 1/3)?
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Doh! I knew I was forgetting something! Yes, Sea Tyger is right--no more than a quarter of your space can be converted to structure which means it takes at least a size 4 vessel to make that trick work.

So Ablative Armor would appear to be your only option at this time.

Getting forgetful in my old age...
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Grrr, yet another down check for small vessels, in addition to the weapon restrictions and no benefits for been a small target. Sigh.

Originally posted by Captain Leana Craig
    Grrr, yet another down check for small vessels, in addition to the weapon restrictions and no benefits for been a small target. Sigh.
    Well we can always hope that the answer to that is "wait for the spaceship book".

Uh no. Anyone stop to think that this might be part of the reason we don't see a lot of small combat vessels in Star Trek? It's an intentional design consideration.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Uh no. Anyone stop to think that this might be part of the reason we don't see a lot of small combat vessels in Star Trek? It's an intentional design consideration.
    And quite a drawback when designing conversions of Maquis ships in CODA, which while small, seemed to pack a serious punch in the episodes... But are coming out differently in CODA...

Although I am considering making these 'field modifications' the exception to the rule, combined with a 'Jury-rigged' negative that doesn't get paid back into structure...
    What do people think? Is this an acceptable use of rule fudging? Would you consider this fair in your games?
    Last edited by Dan Gurden; 08-29-2002 at 03:32 PM.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Uh no. Anyone stop to think that this might be part of the reason we don't see a lot of small combat vessels in Star Trek? It's an intentional design consideration
    Woo-hoo!!!! (From a GM who is tired of seeing wolf packing smaller ships rule the ICON spacelanes)

And quite a drawback when designing conversions of Maquis ships in CODA, which while small, seemed to pack a serious punch in the episodes...
    To be honest, we never really see them up against really big ships - sure, they gave the Danubes a run for their money, but most of the time the Maaquis relied on dirty tricks (Thinking of 'For the Uniform' especially)

What do people think? Is this an acceptable use of rule fudging? Would you consider this fair in your games?
    Personally, and I think I said this somewhere else, I think the size requirments on some of the systems should come down for TNG ships - so you can put a type VI phaser on a Danube (The Phaser it has listed on cannon - Well, the DS9 tech manual- sources )

Mark
    'Wish I could Help you....Wish I could tell you,
    That I am real, I'm not something you invented,
    That I'm not everything you want me to be.'

'And I am...Ageless. And I am....Invincible.'

Originally posted by pathstrider

To be honest, we never really see them up against really big ships - sure, they gave the Danubes a run for their money, but most of the time the Maaquis relied on dirty tricks (Thinking of 'For the Uniform' especially)
    Not true.

Eddington may have dropped the Defiant with a cascading computer virus. But look at the USS Malinche after Eddingtons group had finished with it.

Dead in space, Warp nacelle venting and battle scarred. So we know that those little vessels can take out an Excelsior class. Thats some serious hardware.

Even taking into account that a Maquis/Starfleet battle is going to be less lethal from both sides than a Cardassian/Maquis fight.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Don't forget the TNG ep "Preemptive Strike". A group of Maquis raiders were crushing a Galor class Cardassian cruiser.
    And I like the rules that make smaller ships harder to hit and have carried them over in my campaign.
    4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.
    Evil Overlords Survival Guide

There are few problems in the galaxy which cannot be solved by a suitable application of concentrated phaser fire.
    Capt. Coryn Windsabre

I've always preferred photons myself.
    Cmdr. Marcus Aurelius Ferretti

But look at the USS Malinche after Eddingtons group had finished with it.
    Yes, an again the Maquis used a trick to lure the ship in (A damaged freighter) and used extensive inside knowledge to disable the ship (They knew exactely where to hit to punch out the Malinche's Gyros).

Again, not what I would call a straight fight.

Mark.
    'Wish I could Help you....Wish I could tell you,
    That I am real, I'm not something you invented,
    That I'm not everything you want me to be.'

'And I am...Ageless. And I am....Invincible.'

Referring to the original point - in most game systems, fighters are ablative armour
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Fighters & small craft in the game

Hello,

I almost every Star Trek related game fighters & small craft are considered basically useless and the game mechanics are purposely designed so that they are not used. I've heard all kinds of reasons why they are not included...the main one is always you don't see them in the show.

In reality air force can take out capital ships without the ship ever seeing the plane, it delivers its payload to the target. If the ship has counter measures then it will use them. Land, Sea & Air forces all are capable of delivering nuclear strikes...the results are similar, if the nuke reaches its target, it makes a big crater!

Hopefully, fighters will be shown more in the series or movies. I would like to see them in the game.

Thanks