Thread: I'm new, alittle help

Question I'm new, alittle help

heya all, I'm new, my STRPG book is still in the mail from D (I won a contest) and I have some questions.

1. at the moment my comp cant handle PDF files. and wont be able to for some time. I need character sheets, and whatever sheets that I will need in other forms, Word, HTML, whatever. email me or post them here.

2. whats the game like over all. I have played numerous RPG's, to name a few, West Ends SWRPG, WOTC's SWRPG, Hot Rods and Gun Bunnies and numerous ones that I or my friends have made our selves. I know this one (D's) use 1d6, is it likes West Ends RPG?

3. what is Coda?

thanks, I'll probley have more later.
    Ulaire Chang, Dark Lord of the Sith
    AIM: ensigndan
    MSN and Hotmail: ensigndan@hotmail.com
    Yahoo: chang1701

CODA is the name of the rules engine behind Decipher's Star Trek and Lord of the Rings RPGs.

Well, I'll probably get flamed for this, but CODA is very similar to D20, the system used by WOTC D&D and Star Wars. Action resolution is nearly identical in that you roll 2D6 (instead of a d20), then add your skill ranks, attribute modifier and any miscellaneous modifiers that may apply. In order to succeed, you need to beat a target number set by the Narrator (GM).

Now, I'll be the first to admit that character creation and advancement is very different than d20, and the designers weren't trying to copy that system. That doesn't change the fact that it plays nearly the same.

As for PDFs, its just about the most common document distribution format other than HTML. I strongly suggest downloading Acrobat Reader. Its free from www.adobe.com.

[Capt. Branill will now commence dancing out of the way of the little red dots emanating from the Decipher people on the boards.]
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Captain Taranis Branill
    USS Avatar CO

"I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details." -Albert Einstein
    -From the dedication plaque, USS Avatar

The opinions expressed in this post are the biased and personal opinions of the author except where noted. If anything in this post offends you, feel free to ignore it and get on with your life.
    ----------------------------------------------------

[i]
    As for PDFs, its just about the most common document distribution format other than HTML. I strongly suggest downloading Acrobat Reader. Its free from www.adobe.com.
    I have the latest version, my comp can;'t handle it.

I'd advise a little search on this forum, there are numerous Excel and Word sheets floating around. Some even near the visual quality of the Acrobat ones. . The one from Roy is rather nice for instance.

As for the game ... I like the way it plays, I like the character creation concepts (although its presentation <I>is</I> a bit confusing at first), and the starship combat rules simply rule (well, you need to toy a bit with them first to understand how they work).
    Oh, and the books look really nice too .
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Question

could someone please email me or AIM me a Word format Character Sheet?
    my email is: ensigndan@hotmail.com
    my AIM is: ensigndan

Question

Errr ... don't tell me, you can't download files either?
    Otherwise, what's wrong with clicking on the links ... like ... there for instance:
    http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...&threadid=4276
    ?
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

no, I just can't do PDF