Thread: Betelgeusians a la CODA

Post Betelgeusians a la CODA

Hello!

My first species writeup for CODA is based on one of those LUG species: the Betelgeusians.

BETELGEUSIANS

For the writeup on this species read Last Unicorn Game's "Star Trek: The Next Generation Players Guide", pp 44-47.

Favored Professions:

They depend of their j'tonka choice:
    Altaans: Soldiers, Starship Officers (Command, Security)
    Dobanians: Merchants, Starship Officers, some Diplomats (bureaucrats)
    F'terites: Scientists (Inventors), Starship Officers (Engineering, Operations)
    Lahilites: Mystics, Diplomats, Starship Officers (Medical, Counseling)
    Osters: Rogues (as Artists, and other 'benevolous' options), some Mystics
    Slichezeans: Scientists, Starship Officers (Sciences)
    Cordbanites: Generally rogues, after their naccord basic education.

Species Adjustments:

+1 Agility. Thanks to their light bone structure, they are more flexible than most species.

Species Abilities:

J'tonka: The Betelgeusian Path of Emulation. The player must choose to which of the six acceptable heroes she will emulate (if she chooses Cordban, which of the acceptable heroes she pretends to follow). The skills coming from the chosen hero will turn into a professional skill for advancement purposes.
    Altaans: +1 Strength, Unarmed Combat: Altaan'jnar (Altaan Martial Arts) +1
    Dobanians: +1 Vitality, Athletics +1
    F'terites: +1 Perception, Structural Engineering +1
    Lahilites: +1 Vitality, First Aid +1
    Osters: +1 Presence, Sleight of Hand or Influence +1
    Slichezeans: +1 Intellect, Any Science +1

Bonus Edge: Alert; they're always expecting the possibility of one of Cordban's minions appearing to danger the ballance between good and evil.

Resistant: Their skeleton structure lets them stand more physical damage, thus confering them +1 Health.

Eternal Vigilance: As they are alert to the appearance of the servants of Cordban, many non-Betelgeusians mistakenly identify this as collective paranoia in their society. The Narrator rolls 1d6 in secret at the beginning of the session. If the die comes up a 1, the player must roll an Observe test with a TN of 10. If it turns up a success, the character identifies one of Cordban's minions correctly. In case of failure, the character innerly accuses an inoccent person of being a follower of the forces of evil. In any of these cases, the player must chase the person and unveil her. Failing to do so will mean -1 Renown.
    Optional rule: In case of scoring two extraordinary successes during the chase of a true Cordban follower, the player receives +1 Renown at the end of the adventure.

Some material taken from Star Trek: The Next Generation Players Guide, by Last Unicorn Games. Copied without permission.

Erm, someone, please, help me adding points for this template, 'cause I don't have the NG for that. Danke.
    Insurance is like marriage. You pay and pay but you never get anything back. - Al Bundy

I think I forgot to add... I welcome any comment or critic to this species template.

Come on, I really need help with the picks tally...

I don't have my NG with me either, but I'm pretty certain the total pick cost would be 18 or 19 plus whichever cost the Eternal Vigilance has (a little trickier to decide, since it has drawbacks - I'd say 1 or 2). This makes it a bit high, but still in the correct range IIRC.

Apart from that, nice work, Doc
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Thank you, C5.

Seems like the upcoming Starfleet Ops Manual and the Aliens book will dillute the enthusiasm on these writeups, huh?
    Insurance is like marriage. You pay and pay but you never get anything back. - Al Bundy