Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, what would you put in?

So, what would you put in?

Well, it's coming up on 1 year on from the worst terrorist attack in history, and I'm disappointed to see that there still isn't a plan for what to build where the Twin Towers once stood. I can't remember if this sort of thread did the rounds after the event, but what sort of building would you guys (and gals) like to see there?

My vote's for a simple building filled with 4000 candles. That never get allowed to die out.

And to quote Rev Bem of Andromeda (Damn, I miss that guy!):

"Eternal life grant unto them, and may perpetual light shine upon them."
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

Rev Bem's quote actually has its origins in the Catholic Requiem Mass For brevity I'll trim out the original Latin (it's easy enough to find) but the English translation is:
    Eternal rest give unto them, O Lord
    And let perpetual light shine upon them
    A hymn, O God, becometh Thee in Zion
    And a vow shall be paid to thee in Jerusalem
    Hear my prayer
    All flesh shall come before you
    Eternal rest give unto the dead, O Lord
    Eternal rest give unto them, O Lord
    Though I do find the quote appropriate.

I am of the opinion that new buildings should be put up. It could be the engineer in me, it could be the New Yorker in me (haven't lived there in ages, but I was born there), but I think the greatest honor to the dead is to not let their deaths stop life. Until the last person has died, human life goes on. I honestly believe a testament to this would be to build a massive tower, perhaps in the more classic New York style (i.e. Woolworth, Chrysler, or Empire State Buildings), taller than the World Trade Center.

I would make as part of it a large memorial to those who had died - perhaps a large indoor courtyard dedicated to those who lost their lives, with that large fragment of the World Trade Center at the center of it.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

I'm a Canuck, (well, actually, I'm a Brit, but I live in Canada), so I'm not sure I should really get a vote, but. I saw a wonderful picture of the skyline post-attack with two very strong beams of light aimed directly up where the towers used to be.

I rather like the idea of a "light" monument - twin towers of light.

Michael Barratt
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson

Thanks, Dan. That actually makes sense, as Rev Bem's religion (Wayism) incorporates beliefs and scriptures from many diverse religions. Kind of like Ba'haism (sp?), which I'm glad to see is doing well. If we have to have religions, then one which accepts that there are truths in each of the other religions as its basic tenet is not a bad idea.

I like the light idea as well. It was sort of the reasoning behind mine - the bodies may die, but the light never fades...

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Capt Hunter, I heard a rumor at slipstreamweb that the Reverend Behemiel Fartraveller may be back for an episode next season. It seems that the actor who played him has signed up as a guest star. It's possible he'll play another role, but I think TPTB are looking for some closure to Rev Bem's story.

As for the WTC, I've heard some interesting ideas, including:

Rebuild the twin towers

Rebuild them one story higher than they were

No buildings, but a small park with a memorial in it

A couple weeks ago, there was an article in the paper about suggested designs for new buildings on ground zero. Apparently, the architects didn't come up with anything unique or memorable. They were just modern blocky shapes that didn't even have the colossal scale of the WTC to distinguish them.

I like Dan Stack's suggestion; a big new building in classic NY art deco style. Put a great big US flag on top in perpetuity as a reminder and a gesture of defiance.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Cheers, Sarge. I'd heard the Rev Bem rumour - but like so many Andromeda junkies I want the furball back for good!

Still, I've heard Trance is getting a little bit more like her old purple self next season. Can't wait for that!

DEFINITELY think we should rebuild the buildings. Same height or larger; block style or art deco - as long as we don't let them stay down. I like the idea of a monument in the courtyard, and the perpetual flag. We should never forget - but we should not let ourselves be defeated either, and not rebuilding seems like an admission of defeat to me.

And off-topic, Rev Bem is an awesome character! Pity the actor had that makeup allergy.

Arrow

I'll just let the New Yorkers decide.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by REG
    I'll just let the New Yorkers decide.
    I'm a New Yorker, and I was there that day on West Street watching the rubble burn not knowing if my girlfriend (a federal officer based in the WTC) had been evacuated or not.

I say bigger. Bring the distinction of world's tallest building back to NYC. We created the title, and its currently held by the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I can't stand letting a third world country out-engineer us. To do any less would be an admission of defeat. It has been said that some people don't want to build something big and impressive because it would create a new target. I say the people who harbor such sentiments have been defeated by the terrorists. If we mitigate our actions out of fear of what "they" may do, then "they" have won.

For those left wondering, my girlfriend did get out.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Captain Taranis Branill
    USS Avatar CO

"I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details." -Albert Einstein
    -From the dedication plaque, USS Avatar

The opinions expressed in this post are the biased and personal opinions of the author except where noted. If anything in this post offends you, feel free to ignore it and get on with your life.
    ----------------------------------------------------

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    I'm kinda partial to that five tower design that was making the rounds of the internet soon after the attack... the one that looked rather like a certain hand gesture that's popular in NYC. I also like the idea of a memorial involving light... Cerenkov radiation makes for a lovely blue glow... (No, I'm not particulary forgiving. Why do you ask?)
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

As a Brit who has only ever visited the States a few times, I only ever saw the Towers from Newark Int Airport. They were remarkably impressive at that distance!

I was under the impression that a number of suggestions were open to vote by the citizens of NY. All were smaller than the Towers, and none were to occupy the sites of the Towers themselves. A memorial park was a feature of nearly all of them. I know I liked one of them (a squared donut shape with the park above street level), but most were fairly soulless.

I agree though - it's entirely up to the people of New York.

Originally posted by Avatar CO
    We created the title, and its currently held by the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I can't stand letting a third world country out-engineer us.
    I believe the Chicagoans have something to say about that The Petronas Towers only hold one of the four titles to tallest building. I know two are held by the Sears Tower.
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Sorry, but you've already been out-engineered many times by other countries. The Twin Towers may have been the tallest structures, but the Great Wall of China knocks spots off all-comers when it comes to scale.

Sheeze - you're the only superpower left in the world, isn't that enough?!

NO, this title was born and bread in the good ol'US of A and here it should return, at least until the damabale monstrousity proposed for Singapore is built .

Further and no disrespect here but this is not the New Yorkers decision alone to make. Just like Gettyesburg and other spots of hallowed ground they have to come to terms with the fact that that area is more then just New York property but it is as truely pure American property as there ever was.

Simple monument, a huge square tower though not sitting on the actual site, covering the same square area as the two towers combined ad then some (the two empty square cornors of the plaza). Thus were there was two before showing division ther eis now one showing unity. I like the idea of a deco style building that is American, with nice curves.

Originally posted by Capt.Hunter
    Sorry, but you've already been out-engineered many times by other countries. The Twin Towers may have been the tallest structures, but the Great Wall of China knocks spots off all-comers when it comes to scale.
    And your good buddies up north have the CN Tower.

The Doc
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson

Talking

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster