Sensor System: Class 4 (+6/E)
    Operations System: Class 3 (D)
    Life Support: Class 3 (D)
    Atmosphere Capable: yes

Propulsion Data

Impulse System: Class 3 (.75c) (B)
    Warp System: Class 6 (6/7/8) (B)

Tactical Data

Beam Weapon: Phaser Arrays Type VIII (x3)
    Penetration: 4/4/4/0/0 (B)
    Missile Weapon: Photon Type III (x1)
    Penetration: 3/3/3/3/3 (C)
    Deflector Dish: Class 5 (C)
    Protection: 15
    Threshold: 3

Miscellaneous

Edges: Enhanced Sensors (Reflected above)
    Flaws:

1 H 1 C 0 T
    Last edited by Lt Cmdr Matt; 09-07-2002 at 09:52 AM.

Shouldn"t the reliability ratings for the weapons be the same? I don't have my books with me, but it's based on the combined offensive value of all the weapons, isn't it?
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

I have done the stats for a CODA style Nova myself, but mine is different in a few ways because I use a designation of "Heavy Surveyor" for the Nova. This allows the purchase of more powerful phasers for the vehicle to reflect her Type X Phasers.

I know that the "Heavy Surveyor" designation sounds a bit silly, but the vessel is a surveyor that at the same time is slower moving than most vessels (at least most we have seen on-screen) and has Type X style Phasers (according to the Starship Spotter). This would seem to correspond to the 'Heavy' designation from the Narrator's Guide. I also allow the ship to buy its Sensors at the 'scout-rate' because it is such an integral part of the vessel's role (btw, would a cloak be possible for the ship, I would not allow a surveyor to get the 'scout-rate' to buy one because there it makes little sense for a Planetary Surveyor to have one).
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

It only has Type VIII phasers. If I remember correctly a few sources state Type VIII instead of X. Since the Intrepid only has type X there is little sence behind the equipping of X's on a science ships.

Publius I am not slandering your opinion I just disagree. PLease note though, if you are referring to the Rhode Island version then I am wrong, I am referring to the Equinox Version.

No problem Matt, no offense taken. I think it might simply be that we are looking at different sources with different data. The Nova-Class description in the Starship Spotter lists it as having Type X Phasers. I know that the Spotter is hardly canon but it is the only quasi-official reference that I have seen (not having the article in the latest Trek Mag). Specifically, on page 37 the Spotter describes the Nova Class as having "11 Type X Cullimated Phaser Arrays".

Are Type VIII's mentioned in the article you have from the Star Trek Magazine? Just wondering since there seems to be a conflict between quasi-official sources. I think they were listed as being Type X in the Spotter as "holdover" from the original design's role as a Fast Torpedo vessel.

A more general question for anyone: did any character happen to mention what Phasers the ship had in the episode Equinox? That would really be canon after all...

I got my information from Daystrom Technical Institute. I actually get all of my Canon information from there.

But on the DITL website, the part about what type of Phaser arrays the ship has is in white text, which means that it is speculation. The fact that it has Phaser arrays is in yellow text, meaning that fact is on-screen/canon. The rest (including the Type of the arrays) is DITL's best guess. This is supported by the Comments section, which notes that it has visible arrays but nothing else.

If you consider the vessel to have Type VIII's for your version that is not a problem with me. As I mentioned earlier, these are two different sources, neither of them based on any on-screen commentary that I have yet seen/heard. For all we know the arrays could be Type IV's "borrowed" off a shuttlepod or worse.

I like to keep it at Type VIII's because I want to give the feel of a hardship when it comes to combat in a nova. just my OPINION though.

Finally had a chance to look at my books. The reliability for both phasers and photons should be 'C'.

I like the design. The idea of limited firepower is in keeping with its stated mission. From a roleplaying stand point, it tends to limit the "let's just blast 'em" response.
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.