Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TrekRPG one year ago

TrekRPG one year ago

It will soon be September the 11th again. On that day this board became something which nobody could ever imagine it would be come, a world wide communication source. Canada, Germany, Britain, France, and Brazil all had vocies here that day and for the first time an event which happen in one country was shared by an entire world at the same time proving that we are not alone.

In honor of that I have put this small token of our efforts that day together from the main Thread started by Styro. There were some real gems I though they would be excellant for a reminder of how OUR communitty reacted to the evnts on that day.

The original thread can be found here
    http://216.40.212.6/forum/showthread...5&pagenumber=1

And I ask Don, that the original thread above should always be preserved as long as Trek RPG exist because it truely is a unique document.
    Last edited by Eric R.; 09-10-2002 at 08:41 PM.

A Reminder

Two, count them, two aircraft have crashed into the World Trade Center.
    This is not a joke.
    This was a terrorist attack. Plain and simple. Caught on tape.
    There will be hell to pay.
    Log on to any news site, turn on the TVs...
    Dear god...

Styrofoam Man, 2:27 pm GMT, 9-11-01

God bless my country, God bless and protect the souls lost and suffering right now and God bless those who come to there rescue & aid and will deliver there vengeance!

Eric R. 2:40 pm GMT, 9-11-01

This sickens me. Hurting and killing, particularly civilians. My sister's school is nearby and I have an uncle who lives close by with his fiancée. They are probably unscathed but I wouldn't blame anyone for being scared out of my mind.

Caretaker, 3:00 pm GMT 9-11-01

Holy snapping arseholes!

Aldaron, 3:05 pm GMT 9-11-01

One of the World Trade Center towers collapsed.
    This just keeps getting worse...

Mactavish 3:16 pm GMT 9-11-01

Oh no, there are images on TV... please wake me. I'm no american, but I'm a human being. I'm now fearing for the peace of the world as we know it.

C5, 3:20 pm GMT, 9-11-01

My pacifist tendencies will out. I'm just as shocked as anyone here and speaking as someone who regularly plays devil's advocate, I can't see any real reason for this one.

Imagus, 3:28 pm GMT, 9-11-01

It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel... not so good.

Hugh Casey, 3:30 pm GMT. 9-11-01

The other tower just came down.
    As an American Taxpayer, I DEMAND that we NUKE the bastards.
    Two planes into the WTC.
    The Pentagon
    A Car Bomb At the State Department
    THOUSANDS killed.
    Nuke them.

Stryro@Mothers, 3:44 pm GMT 9-11-01

No, nukes are a bad idea. End of the world would be the result.
    Who did this?
    I've been hearing Usama bin Laden, but that's just speculation at this point.
    Who did this to the United States?
    Why didn't the so-called "intelligence community" know?

Mactavish, 3:52 pm GMT 9-11-01

I think at this moment you better just let us vent, you have no Idea how this is effected us, Nothing will ever be the same.

Eric R. 3:56 pm GMT 9-11-01

This was my journal entry today...

September 11th, 2001
    I think that the world changed today.

Hugh Casey, 12:37 am GMT 9-12-01

My god this is terrible day for humanity. Such cowardly and senseless attacks are a disgrace to all mankind. And to what end? Nothing. I'm no great political or millitary mind and even I know, that no matter how well planned, no matter how horrific an attack is launched by terrorists on the United States, they will not change the course they've set for themselves. And nor should they.

Julius, 257 am GMT, 9-12-01

In the end we are all brought together by a common interest and share this community; a community that should be bound together in support and concern, not fragmented by reckless speculation and ill-thought words.

Don Mappin, 3:31 am GMT, 9-12-01

My god. . . what kind of madness have we spiraled into ??
    To watch all of this hell unfold in front of the nation. . .
    I couldn't help but think I'd woke up in the middle of a Tom Clancy novel....
    We need prayers now, more then ever.

J. Ramirez, 737 am GMT 9-12-01

I am so afraid that because of what happened today the world will become a more hatefull place than it already is.

Lancer, 7:57 am GMT 9-12-01

I've waited a long time to post, emotions running so very high. I remember being at work yesterday, hearing scattered reports before going down to the gym at work where there were several televisions on. I saw live the two towers crumble to the ground, I held back tears as they fell.

Though I only lived there a small portion of my life, I was born in New York City. As a child, I spent most of my summers there with my grandparents. My grandfather used to all sorts of places in the city - the Museum of Natural History, the Circle Line, the Day Line (anyone remember that?), Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, and the World Trade Center. He would always tell me how his parents came over from Italy, he'd point out the small tiny apartment where he and his countless brothers and sisters grew up in. He'd tell me stories about the Depression and WWII, how he'd write two letters a day, to his wife and his mother.

Sorry for the divergence there. But as a result of that, despite all the places I've lived in, I've always considered myself a partial New Yorker - it seems the city always stays with you. That made the tragedy hit harder, though thank God none of my relatives were in the area (most in the City have died by now, the rest are in Brooklyn).

As horrific as the disaster is, some of the more extreme reaction to it is more frightening, especially those who think we are about to become some sort of totalitarian state. Legate Legion summed it up so well I'd like to quote him. And to Legate and all the present and former members of the armed forces, thank you for your service to this great nation.

Originally posted by Legate Legion:
    This is also a good thing because for the first time in my life I have seen lawmakers embrace each other & really call for unity.

In the end, come what may we are all FREE PEOPLE LIVING IN A FREE REPUBLIC. & they will reap the whirlwind.
    My fellow citizens of the United States of America, the government is not them, it is us. It always has been. It is the reason we have accomplished so much. It is the reason the horror of slavery could not endure, the contradiction of its presence in a free republic being an ugly, obvious scar. It is the reason that women gained their right to vote. This country has failed in its obligations at times, but those failures are revealed because of those freedoms. The Founding Fathers used powerful language when they said "We the people". Those words are more than an affirmation, they are a demand. A demand to be included in those people. The Founding Fathers may not have intended those words to include the African Slave, the woman, the non-white male landowner, but those words were too powerful to be denied.

This Free Republic will endure because it is us, it is not them. This country has never had a coup - no, the recent election was no coup - if anything, it showed the strength of our Constitution to the world, enduring, for all intents and purposes, a statistical tie. Did anyone die? Have the losers been vanquished, exiled? Is not Gore considering another run? Would the winner of a coup allow that?

But, in a way, that is what makes these horrific attacks all that much worse. For when they killed people for being Americans, destroyed American symbols, it was not a them they attacked, it was us, we the people.

Dan Stack, 11:48 am 9-12-01

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

We had red, white, and blue ribbons on our shirts, red, white, and blue flowers, and a lot less kidding around, generally.
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

I thought I should bump this up today
    Draftsmen in Training

Thanks Eric.

Allow me to correct the link provided in the first post (the URL is no longer working, for me anyway) :
    The original discussion on TrekRPG.net can be found here

(and reading it again was quite sobering for a lot of reasons...)
    Last edited by C5; 09-11-2006 at 08:55 AM.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Some memories, I'd just as soon excise.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I think we're all 'net friends' enough for me to tell you guys this (I didn't mention this to anyone at home or at work yesterday), but I had that same gut rending, tear inducing feeling watching the ominpresent 2nd Plane hit-Firefighters rush in-Towers collapse as horrified people look on video clip that seemed to be playing on every news channel.

I thought I was over 9/11; maybe I'll never be.

Of course, the weird thing was the juxtaposition: one channel shows it in real time, as it happens.

-click-

Maury has women who are on for the 3rd time for paternity tests.

-click-

A firefighter talks about losing his best friend.

-click-

Some house wife just won a new car! (good for her)

-click-

teletubbies (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!)

-click-

more teletubbies

-click-

getting a book to read.

So weird; don't know if the return to 'normalcy' was a good thing or a bad thing.

Once Again I give a link to a thread that was perhaps the memorable day in trekRPG history, 9/11 and some the more outstanding posts from that day.
    Draftsmen in Training

I wonder what the internet was like April 19, '95...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Thats an interesting thought . . .
    Draftsmen in Training

Or the AOL/compuserve/prodigy threads that must have been going on following the 1993 WTC bombing.

Sorry, my week has been rather involved. I think I have posted before what I was doing on that day. Patrol a college campus working for the campus police, it was so errie. Got in just before the second plane hit.
    Well i am involved with CERT now, and our Fire Fighter trainer and liason, an EMT-P (Paramedic), and fire engineer can't stand donuts anymore, let alone the smell. He went over there for the S&R effort. They had just made a fresh batch of donuts that morning, and they remained their rotting in the wreckage. I can understand why he sees them differently now.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Why not....

So glad I decided to go see a 'crappy' movie today: It's still omnipresent. Had a talk with my brother yesterday, about if it's possible to have PTSD from watching an event on TV. Of course, I have to aggrivate it by sitting and watching it all happen.

Again.

Guess with all the other stuff, it seems so topical. Perhaps it's why some channels are devoting their whole day to 9/11 retrospectives, while others seem to be trying hard to not mention it at all.

Oh, and sorry to Romero the thread.

Not having a TV is so worth it.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry