Thread: Question concerning the Constitution Class

Question concerning the Constitution Class

Is it Canon that there was only 12 Constitution Class ships made, pre-refit. If so, which have not been named on screen (if any).
    He's an underprivileged skateboarding cowboy with nothing left to lose. She's a sharp-shooting goth bounty hunter who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!

If memory serves, in the TOS episode Tomorrow is Yesterday, Kirk said something like "There are only twelve like her (Enterprise) in the fleet."

Now, for the hard part... which Constitutions were mentioned or seen on-screen?

Defiant
    Excalibur
    Potemkin
    Exeter
    Lexington
    Yorktown
    Constellation
    Intrepid
    Farragut
    Hood

This list is purely from memory, so everyone jump in and add the ones I missed, or point out which ones weren't really there.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Um, not technically mentioned, but wouldn't there be a class ship, i.e. USS Constitution?
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

Talking 13 ships

Don't forget the USS Enterprise, which if has twelve like her makes 13 ships of that class.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    I always thought it was the original 12, not 13, although that's not necessarily canon.

So, the Enterprise, Constitution, and the 10 Sarge named are the original 12 Connies.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Hey, that's neat. And it does not preclude more built later.

( Only 40 more posts to go to make ensign. Then Liz Not Beth will only have me by time in grade. )
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

The only ones we know are Constitution, based on actual TV show appearances are:

Constellation - "The Doomsday Machine"
    Constitution - Class ship (identified as such in ""Star Trek VI" and "Relics"
    Defiant - "Tholian Web"
    Enterprise
    Excalibur - "The Ultimate Computer"
    Exeter - "The Omega Glory"
    Hood - "The Ultimate Computer"
    Lexington - "The Ultimate Computer"
    Potemkin - "The Ultimate Computer"

There are a few which we have strong evidence to be a member of the class:
    Endeavour - Star Trek VI display
    Kongo - Star Trek VI display
    Republic - Star Trek VI display
    Yorktown - Interior seen Star Trek IV
    (to be honest, I can't recall seeing the displays)

There is actually no evidence that the following ships were members of the Constitution-class, but it is generally assumed they are:
    Farragut
    Intrepid
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

"Kongo" was originally a name taken from the very first model kit(the very same that was trashed to be Constellation if I recall.)

The name btw is after the IJN battlecruiser of the same name.

As for commonly accepted Constitutions the ones seen on screen are as Dan mentioned.

The Eagle mentioned on the rescue plan display in STVI:TUC was conjectured to be a Connie, although the registry number was too low. LUG made her out to be an all-Andorian ship (with tougher shields and phasers, as the blue guys like 'em...).
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

Nob, thanks for the reminder; the old model kit had a decal sheet with quite a few different names and numbers. Anybody know which names were listed?

Wish I still had that decal sheet, but I bought that kit about a quarter of a century ago. (Maybe it's not canon info, but it's better than nothing.)
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Ask and ye shall receive. The names on the AMT decal sheet:

Enterprise
    Yorktown
    Valiant
    Hood
    Potemkin
    Constellation
    Farragut
    Excalibur
    Intrepid
    Republic
    Constitution
    Lexington
    Kongo
    Exeter
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Thanks everybody

Thanks for the info.

I admit that I asked the question to get info for a fan fic I'm writing (I figured if anyone was going to know the answer they would be on this group) but, again, thanks (besides I'm trying to badger a group into playing a TOS-era game so it should eventually fit in).
    He's an underprivileged skateboarding cowboy with nothing left to lose. She's a sharp-shooting goth bounty hunter who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!