Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lord of the Rings Gaming Resources

Re: Cheat Sheets

Originally posted by Steven A Cook
    Thanks for the kind words, CDR!

Actually, a series of "cheet sheets" for the LotR RPG is what I'm working on this week for the website. I plan to do a bunch of them: task resolution, combat stuff, maybe even a handy narrator's chapter log, and other assorted goodies. I'll have them online by the weekend.
    Sounds like I'll be visiting you site again at the weekend . Also, I don't know if it'd be of any interest to anyone but I've put together a pretty simple MS Word LOTR Character Sheet as a template - it has a section for spells, unlike any other character sheet I've seen to date, plus enough room to write down a speciality or two (but you have to input the skill descriptions on it - just my preference).
    “Maintain the mystery, and don't try to think unthinkabilities...”
    Iain M Banks, 2003, on the Art of writing good SF.

Thumbs up

Cool CDR Scot! If you like, I'll post your sheet on my page for folks to download. Just send it along in an email and I'll upload it tonight when I get home from work. Be sure to use my yahoo email, my old one is defunct.

steven_a_cook@yahoo.com

Steve
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Fine by me, Steve - it's on its way to you now.
    “Maintain the mystery, and don't try to think unthinkabilities...”
    Iain M Banks, 2003, on the Art of writing good SF.

Post New Stuff

CDR Scot's character sheet is up. I've also added a 5 page pdf file with tables and charts for combat and tests. The only thing really missing is stuff for mass combat, which I may add in a later version. We'll see.

I've also updated the optional combat actions I posted last week, to make them a little more smoothly integrated into the CODA system.

Cheers,

Steve

P.S. Here are some quick links: <a href="http://lotrrpg.tripod.ca/lotr_quickref_1a.zip">Combat and Test Sheets (zipped PDF)</a> and <a href="http://lotrrpg.tripod.ca/lotr_cs.zip">CDR Scot's Character Sheet (zipped Word.doc)</a>
    Last edited by Liquidator Queeg; 10-12-2002 at 08:12 PM.
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Nice job on the tables and charts, Steve! I may try to make my own Narrator screen with these. They'll certainly be a time saver!

Greg

Thumbs up

Thanks Greg! I'm too impatient to wait for an official Narrator's screen and I didn't want to have to flip flip flip through my book during games, so I made the tables and charts today.

I've noticed a few typos on my hard copy, so I'll have to update the file sometime this week. If you notice any errors, please point 'em out to me!

Next up tonight is a series of weather generation tables, which will probably borrow heavily from Rolemaster. And a calendar, too -- I want to make a bigass "chart of years" incorporating Hobbit, Man, and Elven calendrics. Making it look pretty will be the tough part.

Cheers,

Steve

I'll be sure to give it a good look-through, Steve, to see if I can find any errors and such (though, at first glance, nothing really jumped out at me in terms of mistakes).

If you need any help in chart-making or any other project, drop me a line. I've got some free time this semester, and I'm in a LotR mood (even if my gaming group isn't )...

Greg

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Steven A Cook
    Thanks Greg! I'm too impatient to wait for an official Narrator's screen and I didn't want to have to flip flip flip through my book during games, so I made the tables and charts today.
    I have one word for you, guys.

MasterScreen (Click Here!!!)
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Thumbs up Cool Stuff!

LOL!

Thanks for the link, REG!

Believe it or not, though, I'm a GM who doesn't use a screen (at least when I play games other than D&D). I actually use a "document saver" with a flexible plastic cover and 20 clear, thin plastic inserts. The cover has a handy slot to put a 8x11 picture in (I usually copy the cover of the game I'm currently running and slip it in), and the clear sheets protect my important charts and tables from all sorts of table accidents.

Besides, I like to roll my Dice of Death in front of my players fear-choked faces. Bwah-ha-ha!

Steve

Thanks, REG! I recall Moridin mentioning that over at SWRPGNetwork, but I couldn't remember the name for it.

Like Steve, I don't generally use DM/GM/Narrator/Dude-Who-Runs-The-Game Screens, as my players like to see my rolls, and I think it's fair for them to see the results.

My one caveat to this is when I run Ravenloft: I think it adds to the gaming environment to keep the players in suspense and doubt over certain results...plus it's fun to see them sweat a bit when I roll dice and make notes, all the while muttering to myself, with the occasional half-mad cackle of delight. Of course, I'm also the sort to break out the spooky soundtracks, plasma ball and blacklight when I run a Ravenloft game.

I only mention Ravenloft because it's close to Halloween, and, at the request of my players, I have to continue my yearly tradition of running a Ravenloft adventure for Halloween, so it's on my mind.

Greg

Originally posted by REG
    I have one word for you, guys.

MasterScreen (Click Here!!!)
    Um, Reg, that's technically three words...

I have to say I just got my hands on a copy of the MasterScreen and have just pulled together some ad hoc tables for Silver Age Sentinels for use with it. It's quite the nifty little doodad.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Okay I have to get myself a Master Screen now

That is too cool

Post New Update

I've added some optional character creation rules to my website. These basically try to find a middle-ground between the "five free picks" listed in the LotR RPG Core Book and the "pseudo advancement" fix posted at the official message boards.

Direct link: http://lotrrpg.tripod.ca/narrator.html

As always, feel free to discuss these options here. I don't even want to post a direct link over at the Decipher boards. *shudder*

I've also updated the chronicle page with the final versions of two player characters (the ones I posted in another thread here somewhere). I've since recruited one more player to the chronicle, and she'll be playing a female Hobbit, probably one of Samwise's daughters. I've yet to sit down with her and generate the character though.

Cheers,

Steve

P.S. As an aside, I stopped working on an uber-calendar for Middle-earth. I found one on the web that rocks on toast. Check it out for those with a mind for such details.

Direct Link to Calendar PDF: http://necik.mag.com.pl/~galadhorn/calendar_2001.zip

Link to Gwaith-i-Pheddain main site: http://necik.mag.com.pl/~galadhorn/language1.htm
    Last edited by Liquidator Queeg; 10-27-2002 at 06:10 PM.

I have a LOTR problem that maybe someone here might be able to help me with:

I have been searching EVERYWHERE for a good image of Arwen's elven sword as seen in the film. Every pic I found so far has been either a screen grab or someone's photo of the prop taken under less than perfect conditions (to say the least). None of them show the whole sword, or much of the detailing on it.

I finally found EXACTLY what I'm looking for in the LOTR rulebook: a nice sized image of the whole sword with no one's hands obscuring any of the details. Problem is, I can't afford the nearly $40 to buy the book for just one image.

Does anyone know where this image (or one like it) might be found online, or would someone with the book be willing to scan just that page (don't remember exactly which one, but it's a left-hand page) and email it to me? It would be for my own personal use, and would NOT be posted online anywhere.

Thanks in advance, even if no one can help me...
    Deo Vindice!

DW, I know an SCA merchant who's a distributor for Museum Replicas. They put out some very nice swords, including replicas of the LotR movie swords. According to him, there will be a replica of Arwen's sword available fairly soon. They already have Narsil, Sting, Glamdring, The Witchking's sword, and a Ringwraith sword. The price will probably be about $200. That's probably out of your range, since you can't afford the RPG book, but the catalog with pictures is online at http://www.museumreplicas.com

If it's not there now, check back from time to time, and it should show up.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1