Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lord of the Rings Gaming Resources

Lord of the Rings Gaming Resources

Hello all! I guess I'm thread-crazy this morning, but I thought I'd let everyone who'd be interested know that our good friend Patrick Murphy (the Mad Irishman himself) has been kind enough to create a variety of Lord of the Rings character sheets, in his usual high-quality style. Also, he has posted a Character Generation Summary sheet, to speed along the character creation process, all of which can be found here. At first glance, it looks pretty useful, indeed!

It's all in .pdf format, and I'd recommend Adobe Acrobat Reader 5, which can be found here.

Enjoy!

Greg

And it's his usual outstanding work. Hope he gets around to decipher trek.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

The Mad Irishman's work is top notch, indeed.

Speaking of resources, I plan to open a site at the address below in the not-too-distant future (nothing there now, but a "placeholder" page will go up later tonight). It will host all my personal chronicle stuff as well as new rules bits and other stuff I come up with. I'm also getting some photos developed soon that were taken here in Toronto at an event called "Journey to Middle-earth". The show, at Casa Loma, featured props, costumes and artifacts from the movie trilogy. The Witch-King's banner is utterly cool! If you have LotR CODA files to share, send me an email and let me know and I'll post em on the site.

http://lotrrpg.tripod.ca/lotrmain.html

Steve
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Thumbs up

There are a couple of other LOTR RPG sites out there, but not much content yet. Try:

The Lost Archives of Annuminas

The Halls of Annuminas (Message Board for The Lost Archives)

The Steward & The King
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

Hey cool, Erik! Thanks for posting those links!

Steve
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

When will your page be up Steven?

Probably some time after midnight tonight, EST. Like I said before, there won't be any content yet, but I'll be testing out links and images and whatnot to see if anything's broken or needs to be tweaked.

My chronicle kicks off in about two weeks, so I should have some character stuff and adventure logs up by mid-October, along with some original game material too.

Steve

Which age are you playing in?

One of my buddies wants to run a 4th age game, but he is a walking lexicon of Middle Earth, quite creepy actually.

Main Page Up

I just put up the main page. It's best viewed at 800x600. Yeah, I know, I need a better monitor.

If you have any viewing troubles let me know. I suck at HTML, so I used Netscape Composer to fashion the page. From what I understand, IE doesn't like Netscape coding very much.

Seems to look OK using Opera, which is my browser of choice.

Steve

P.S. My game is set in the early 4th Age, just after the death of Mistress Rosie, wife of Master Samwise.

P.P.S. Sorry about the ad banner at the top of the page. Nothing I can do about it -- it's that or a pop up window. Yikes! I guess I can't complain about a free service, though.

Looks good thus far my man

Nice use of space and very very slick.

Frodo pic looks good as well

Post Update Note

I've added some stuff to the website:

Two optional combat rules (Feint Attacks and Pressing an Attack).
    New Edges (Favors Owed, Guild Member, Heir, Honoured Lineage, and Servant).
    A brief discussion about Mentors in the game.

This stuff was originally part of Fantasy ICON, so I reworked it and updated it for the CODA game.

Link: http://lotrrpg.tripod.ca/lotrmain.html

Steve

Hey Steve, if you want to add any of those Fantasy ICON combat rules to CODA, I'll be happy to help out (again). I'm still fighting in the SCA, have learned some new weapon styles, and am working out some house rules to make LotR combat more true to my own medieval battle experience.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Combat Maneuvers

Hey Sarge!

I'm glad to hear you're still bashing heads in the SCA!

I had thought of using some of those Fantasy ICON combat maneuvers in CODA (both armed and unarmed), but to be honest, I haven't yet run my first game! I'd like to get a good feel for the combat system before I do any serious conversion work. Be sure to drop me a line if you do any conversions, though -- your weapons experience and fighting insight are as keen as Glamdring!

Steve

Thumbs up

Nice page Steve! Your usual quality work, I see . I'm running my first LOTR game this Wednesday (also the first group RPG I've run in, oh, seven years ) - the character creation summary has been pretty damned useful, I just wish there was one for task and combat resolution!
    “Maintain the mystery, and don't try to think unthinkabilities...”
    Iain M Banks, 2003, on the Art of writing good SF.

Thumbs up Cheat Sheets

Thanks for the kind words, CDR!

Actually, a series of "cheet sheets" for the LotR RPG is what I'm working on this week for the website. I plan to do a bunch of them: task resolution, combat stuff, maybe even a handy narrator's chapter log, and other assorted goodies. I'll have them online by the weekend.

Cheers,

Steve