Thread: lug in coda

lug in coda

i got the 2 coda books this weekend ang to my suprise they mentioned the tauri unity in the narrators guide i believe they were created for lug"s way of dera boxed set also dera was mentioned in the romulean section don't get me wrong i like the tauri but isn't that plagerism or something i mean paramount yanked the license from lug and gave it to decipher now cecipher which has had ample time to come up with there newsystem is using there stuff and i may be wrong if so i apologize

Reality check time.

Most of the former LUG staff left Wizards of the Coast and were hired by Decipher. The Decipher CODA system is being written by the same people who wrote the LUG ICON system. You can't plagiarise yourself.

Three other things:
    Learn to use the Shift key.
    Learn to punctuate your sentences.
    Learn to use a spell-checker.

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    You can't plagiarise yourself.
    Actually, yes you can. Or you can at least be sued for plagiarizing yourself. Just ask John Fogerty from Creedence Clearwater Revival, who fought a long and nasty court battle where he was accused of plagiarizing a song he himself wrote, but no longer owned the rights to.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Actually, he was sued for copyright infringement, not plagiarism. Plagiarism is not a legal issue, it is an ethical one.

While you can get in trouble for self-plagarism if you lack the rights to something, unless I am mistaken Viacom/Paramount owns the concepts LUG came up with, though not the gaming engine, which gives Decipher the right to use the ideas the came up with. (Though not the gaming engine, exact copies of the text, etc.)

Similar deal with West End Games/Wizards of the Coast in their incarnations of Star Wars. High Inquisitor Tremayne, created by West End Games, and not appearing in anything other than their RPG (I believe) has also appeared in the Wizards of the Coast incarnation.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

ok

i thank you all for your comments. Even the critics of punctuation.
    i apologize about my mispelling but i work night shift so most of the time i am half asleep when online

Sorry, I came down harder on you than was appropriate. You just hit me in one of those moods. Asleep at the keyboard is one of the very few excuses that holds water. Most of the time you hear the defense "I'm dyslexic," when the person shows none of the patterns of dyslexia (I have a friend who IS dyslexic, so i can tell the difference).

Anyway, the former LUGsters are apparently trying to make the CODA background as compatible with the ICON background as possible, to accomodate all those GMs (I hate the term Narrator) who wish to maintain consistency within their campaigns

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    Most of the time you hear the defense "I'm dyslexic," when the person shows none of the patterns of dyslexia (I have a friend who IS dyslexic, so i can tell the difference).
    I hate the excuse because I'm dyslexic myself, and if I can get the punctuation and spelling mostly right, then anybody can, slydexic or not.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

next

now if only they could get there product out on schedule

Well, no game company in history has ever managed to consistently hit their release dates - most game companies never hit one. Licensed games are a particular problem, what with the approvals process adding to all the normals delays with writers, editors and printers...