Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefly review

Perrryyy Guest

Firefly review

Who watched it? I kinda liked it. It had (at least for the premeire), a very, I dunno "Doc Holiday"/cowboys in space kind of feel to it. Having the main cast be (seemingly) on the run from the government

I especially liked seeing Gina Torress (Nebula from Hercules) and Jewel Staite (from Space Cases) again.

What say you all?

I didn't get to see it, as I was gone running errands at the time, but I intend to catch it in a re-run as soon as possible.

I like the premise of the show, though I fear that, if it's any good, it'll be gone in a season or two (like practically every other Fox show that I've ever liked)...

Greg

Perrryyy Guest
    I hope you're wrong, but it does seem to be a theme lately

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    I'll let you know when I see it in an hour.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Perrryyy Guest
    Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    I'll let you know when I see it in an hour.
    Coolio

Two hours from now you can tell me what you think about John Doe

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Oh, those bastards!! The Giants game is still going on, and it's still just the 8th inning...meaning I may not catch it until 20 after or so! GRRRR!
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Arrow

It was interesting. It didn't grab me but it held my attention for one hour. It was okay for a space western genre. I hope we learn more about that universe.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Supposedly, what was on Friday night was not thes serie pilot, it seems the suits at Fox weren't happy with the non-action orinated pilot, which kinda filled you in some on the whole premise. Of course we all know how brillant Fox executives are with Sci Fi shows. Rumor is that it will be seen as a special episode around christmas time which means the Sci Fi geeks will endlessly debate what is the first epsidoe of Firefly as the pilot will always be seen first in syndication.

As for me, I liked it alot cowboy music and all. It was truely new and different and not some Star Trek/Wars clone and lacked the incoherent uneasy to jump into nature like Farscape and Lexx had at there start (For the record I like both aforemention shows). In some ways it reminded be of Andromeda when it first started easy to grasp but with a lot of holes to fill in.

Some bits on background I have picked up

The alliance was originally formed when China and the US merged (That alows the chinese to be easily seen to continue the western mellue) how they will work Mexicans into it remainds to be seen.

Zoe was Mel's executive officer during the Civil War as to what branch they both belonged to remainds to be seen. BTW as a Civil War geek I absolutely love the way they are working this angle. The bar scene was great I loved the "Inbreed" remark and the "Brown coats on the run" followed by the holowindow.

I enjoyed that show. It's like a live action version of the future-cowboy Japanese animation shows ("Cowboy Bebop", "Outlaw Star"... now if they could just hook Yoko Kanno to do the soundtrack...)

Favorite quote:
    "Yes, yes! Best for everyone!"
    --evil underling #2, after 'Claw' is unceremoniously kicked into the jet intake

I liked it...wait, everytime I like a show, Fox or scifi cancel it. HATED IT! Yeah, that's it! They should leave it on just to ofend me!

I. LOVED. the bit where the captain kicked the guy into the engine intake. We all sat stunned for a second then cheered. Characters were interesting; the Civil War/Old West parable was kinda cool. We'll see...

An addendum: I absolutely hated the John Doe; Fox should leave it on just to tick me off...yeah, that it! Great pacing, funny, guys got a honker you could shove a DeSoto up. As much as I lik...hated...it, I don't think it'll have legs past a season or so.

Well, Friday night look like it might stay a TV night after all...if, of course, only to see how BAD these shows are...
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Thumbs up

I enjoyed Firefly. I hope that it keeps running. I think this show has promise. If the series is anything like the pilot, it will be superior sci-fi to Enterprise IMO.
    Kim Quintin

The use of unnecessary force has been authorized.

Yee-HAW!

Damn, that was fun.

That ep/pilot showed a lot of promise, and I like the fact that we have LOTS of characters.
    I hope the sci-fi aspect of the show does eventually rears its head, so far it was a western with gadgets. Not that that's a bad thing, but I really prefer sci-fi to western. Here's hoping to a fun season!

Joe
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

I liked it. The pacing was good, the moral dilemma was almost Trek like, only different. Good cast, Joss Whedon at the helm, and it is produced by Fox, so they get a piece of syndication. That bodes well for it's continuing. John Doe was pretty interesting. I hadn't heard much about it, saw promos during Firefly, and now I know what I'm doing with my Friday nights for the foreseeable future.
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

I saw it on the weekend.

I absolutely loved it. A refreshing sci-fi. The captain and the first mate with their one liners really lighten the show.

I especially liked the part with;

"Do you know what the chain of command is? Its the chain I get and beat you with!"

And of course the turbine scene. Very cool.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

Arrow

Originally posted by qerlin

An addendum: I absolutely hated the John Doe; Fox should leave it on just to tick me off...yeah, that it! Great pacing, funny, guys got a honker you could shove a DeSoto up. As much as I lik...hated...it, I don't think it'll have legs past a season or so.
    Hehehe.

I confessed, before last Friday night, I was looking forward to Firefly and not pay attention to John Doe. While Firefly have managed to hold my attention (they have to improve from here on in or I will lose interest), John Doe took me by surprise and I found myself liking it.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer