Thread: Edge Stacking in LotR CODA?

Question Edge Stacking in LotR CODA?

Perhaps this has come up in some of the Star Trek threads in the CODA Mechanics forum, but I've been unable to find anything in a search.

Should or do any of you allow multiple similar effects to "stack" (to use the popular D&D term) with each other? Has this been addressed in your games? I've been unable to find any guidance in the Core Book (did I just miss it somewhere?), and have made the default judgement that similar effects won't stack.

For instance, would you allow Resolute, Strong-willed and Valour to stack? Resolute affects Stamina and Willpower tests (base +1 improvable to +4), Strong-willed affects Willpower tests (base +2 improvable to +8), and Valour affects Willpower tests to resist fear (base +4 improvable by +2 to a max of +8).

Likewise, would Eloquent stack with Fair and Honey-tongued? Eloquent affects Debate or Persuade (+2), Fair affects Persuade (Charm) or possibly Inspire (+4) and Honey-tongued affects all social tests where pleasant speech might have an effect, like Debate and Persuade (base +2 improvable by +2 to a max of +8).

Like I mentioned above, my gut says "No," but I couldn't find anything in the Core Book to specifically prove or disprove this stance. Just to be clear, I'm not looking to "munchkin" the system, I just want to have reasonable explanations for my players. Any help is appreciated.

Steve

My basic understanding for this sort of stacking, after having looked at the Decipher boards for some time, is that it is acceptable within the rules. Thus, for example, if the character has the Resolute edge purchased the maximum 4 times, he'd have +4 to Stamina and to Willpower. This would stack with Strong-willed, for Willpower, and with Tireless, for Weariness tests (which are based on Stamina Reactions), including tests for spellcasting.

At least that's what I've gathered from errata and FAQ posts and responses from Doug Burke.

Still, the old Narrator 'Rule #0' can apply. If you don't want the players to be able to do this, then don't allow it. Other than avoiding the munchkin situation, I can't really think of a reason to not allow edge benefits to stack, though, but that's just me.

Greg

You rang?

...and responses from Doug Burke.
    *BAMF!*

You called?

Seriously, though...

Should or do any of you allow multiple similar effects to "stack" (to use the popular D&D term) with each other?
    By a strict interpretation of the rules, yes. But remember that any picks that go to doubling up edges for stuff like that are picks that aren't used for skills or any other crunchy bits...

And, as always, it is your game. If you want to restrict this kind of thing, then don't let them stack or do not allow a character to have more than one of the related Edges.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Thumbs up Re: You rang?

Originally posted by Doug Burke
    And, as always, it is your game. If you want to restrict this kind of thing, then don't let them stack or do not allow a character to have more than one of the related Edges.
    I like Rule 0. Or, as I prefer to call it "GM Fiat!" Less D&D connotations that way ... but, I digress.

Hmm, maybe I'll explain it to my players this way:

"You can get what are called Edge Affinity bonuses, which work like skill affinities. You only get a +1 bonus for each related Edge instead of the whole effect that Edge would normally have regardless of how many improvements you take in it ... so don't waste your time picking a bunch of similar edges. Diversify you silly little Orc!"

Steve

Re: You rang?

Originally posted by Doug Burke
    *BAMF!*

You called?

Why is it that, all of a sudden, I'm reminded of John Lovitz's portrayal of the Devil on "Saturday Night Live"?

Hmmm...I thought I noticed a peculiar 'sulfur and brimstone' smell...

Greg, who is not looking to be banished to Gaming Hell!

What is this "Gaming Hell"?

I rather think it would be sitting at a table in a crowded convention hall with eight smelly, caffeine-juiced attention-deprived men, all of whom are playing chanmail and leather bikini-clad elfin warrior-priestesses named Sasha Nightcloak ...

Oh wait, no that's GenCon. Silly me!

Steve
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."