Thread: I need three alien races

I need three alien races

Okay here's the deal.

I have three planets in one system.

All three developed different races (as humanoid as possible).

At some point one of the planets atmosphere was destoryed forcing the 3rd race to become refugees on the other two planets. One treated them well, the other like pariahas.

I was orignally going to have the three races be Telaxians, Nebari and Occampans. The Occampans being the refugees and the Nebari treating them like 3rd class citizens.

Not so sure I want to use those three races. Not sure I won't, but looking for input (as always)

Any thoughts?

Three already-seen races? Three made up races? Does it matter which quadrant?

The Doc
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson

Originally posted by Michael Barratt
    Three already-seen races? Three made up races? Does it matter which quadrant?

The Doc
    I prefer races that I can find a visual reference for

Delta Quadrant races are always welcome as I don't use Voyager as canon in my game. Gamma Quadrant races are not as I use DS9 as canon for sure.

Other than Star Trek sources are alos welcome, but I doubt made up ones will have much visual refernce.

Well, Aslan has found a nice way to use the Talaxians & Ocampa as player character races that actually makes sense

(Disclaimer: I'm not saying Voyager didn't make sense. It just made sense at the wrong moments )
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Originally posted by StyroFoam Man

I vote for new races, as that would give you more lee-way with storytelling. As opposed to using an existing race in wich you are limited to what little info there is.
    I'm actually going to agree - and disagree - with ya, Styro:

WHy not use little races that only showed up once or so, and thereby have some visual reference, a few sentances to work with, and ultimately a whole heck of a lot of leeway with what you want to do with them.

The Kriosians and the Valtese spring to mind: Klingon protectorates, the only thing we saw really was the end to their hostilities through the Kamala marriage. The two cultures are very different, and would react to a third settler quite differently: The Valtese could seemlessly react to the third settler/refugees with disdain, and that wouldn't bother anyone who'd seen the "Perfect Mate" ep, as the Valtese ambassador guy was a total widget.

The Kriosians seemed more spiritual, kind, etc. They'd be the happy people, taking in the refugees as best they could.

You've got Klingon government over and above them all - how involved they are with the Empire is up to you.

And the third race you can make up as you'd like - or, hey, use even a third race we've seen but not known a whole lot about: I'd vote for the Kobliad - the race need that wierd substance Deuridium - to stabalize their cell structures and to survive - have their homeworld run right out of the stuff, which led to a nasty black market, which led to armed conflicts, and finally - they blew up their own atmosphere. As a large ex-pat movement had already happened - hell, they'd all be running away from a planet that had no stuff left to give them life - there's a lot of refugees already out there, and the rest can trickle on in.

Easier to explain the disdain, too: these are a dying people, say the Valtese, why bother?

You've got lots of plot elements available that way: Deuridium shortages, Valtese taking advantage of the Deuridium need, the Kriosians trying to find a cure, the tension between the Kriosians and the Valtese in the first place, Empathic metamorphs, Klingon Politics...

The Doc
    Dance a Tango to Hell,

Smile Visual Aids for Aliens

If you want pictures of alien races, may I suggest.......

The Taelons from Earth: Final Conflict
    The Duridians from the same show
    The Unas from Stargate SG1
    The Lizard race from V
    The Reapers from Blade 2

and there's bound to be loads more to trawl through

Hope this will be helpful to you.

Lars
    Old Age And Treachery Will Triumph Over Youth And Skill

Re: Visual Aids for Aliens

The novel Q-in-law had a nice alien race in it as I recall, kind of Space Gypsies, but there aren't really any visuals...

Would the base-line suliban from Enterprise work as your refugees? They already have that status and a similar backstory IIRC.

The D'ken from David Pulver's GURPS Space Atlas 4 might work. Basically drow-ish in appearance - refugees from beyond explored space.

Originally posted by Setvenharis
    The Reapers from Blade 2
    Funny you should mention them - I'm considering them for a previously unknown threat race. They're sufficiently icky to be "alien" while still looking human, although I'll lose the vampiric stuff!

They're the only thing I liked in that movie, which is odd as I liked the first one. It's the first film where I've walked out of the cinema half way through for a long time!
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Nei-mans for phastasy star sega games
    look in gurps aliens.. there are many..
    look in starwars alien anthology..
    look in the new Jedi order source book..

quick places to check for visual reference material for background aliens..

personal preference. Nei-mans for Phantasy Star 2, 3, and 4.

then there are the fantasy races.. but that can get into serious problems if the players actually start trying to connect the historical Elves with a race that fits their descriptions..
    Last edited by Silverthorne; 10-01-2002 at 07:30 AM.
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

Psst. Alsan - what did you end up deciding?

The Doc (Curious)
    Dance a Tango to Hell,

Originally posted by Michael Barratt
    Psst. Alsan - what did you end up deciding?

The Doc (Curious)
    Well I haven't made any final decisions on two races. I wll be definately using the Nebari and their entire concept of the Establishment, etc

As for anything else I haven't decided.

Races I am kicking around right now are...

Star Trek: Occampa & Telaxians
    Farscape: Delvians
    Star Wars: None right now
    Babylon 5: Mimbari & Narn

I am still open to suggestions

Darokin.

Homeworld: Daroka
    Gravity: .86 G

Image: Drow from D&D
    mildly radioactive people with no Drow abilities save lowlight vision. The special eyesight is from living on a world with little ambient light, but high radiation that keeps the surface warm. Their skin is black due to the same reason. Matriarchal society with total role reversal.
    This would give you plenty of resources for images and a bit of background for the race. You can make them evil, or good just by looking at either the followers of Lolth or Eillistraee.

Titans
    Homeworld: Titannis
    Gravity:1.3 G

Image: 15' tall humanoids encased in high tech armor that serves them as ships console and enviro suit as well as protecting them in any combat. They are beautiful men and women with high ideals and good natures.
    Names I have used for them? Ares, Athena, Zeus, (get the drift?)

I got more if you wanna read them.
    I think, therefore I...<BELLLLCCCHH> oops. ^_^

Interesting stuff Michael. Drow eh?

Okay so I have decided to use the Delvians in place of the Occampa.

So that leaves me with one race to fill.

We have Nebari and Delivians from Farscape, though I might like to branch out from that series.

Suggestions?

Again need to be able to find images of the race since I run a very visual game.

Pakleds?
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....