Thread: [CODA] New starship flaws

Post [CODA] New starship flaws

Hi all!

I made up two new ship flaws that I wanted to share. Feel free to criticize!

Intricate System
    One system aboard the ship is particularly complex, because space was limited for example, or because it’s very complicated.
    EFFECT: All repair attempts on this particular system suffer +4 to the TN. This flaw can be taken multiple times, for the same system and for other ones.

Limited Coordination
    The ship has a limited crew, especially in the Command branch; The ship’s capabilities are limited.
    EFFECT: The ship cannot execute any Tier III maneuvers.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Thumbs up Those aren't bad...

I like those...they make sense...

I kinda' want to see a flaw of 'Prototype' done too, something about "If something brakes, it can only be fix/get parts for it at a station/shipyard of a XX rating or higher", with of course XX being an actual number (of higher/much higher value to 'normal')

Thoughts?...
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Re: Those aren't bad...

Originally posted by Modem
    I like those...they make sense...

I kinda' want to see a flaw of 'Prototype' done too, something about "If something brakes, it can only be fix/get parts for it at a station/shipyard of a XX rating or higher", with of course XX being an actual number (of higher/much higher value to 'normal')

Thoughts?...
    sounds good
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Thumbs up Neato!

I like seeing stuff like this. I'm surprised that we haven't been seeing a lot of user-created traits and maneuvers around here...

Keep up the good work!
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Talking Don likes it, woohoo!!!

Thanks a lot Don! I'm really glad you like it.
    CODA is great for that, we can make up lots of maneuvers and traits for everything... That's really fun.

As for maneuvers, I had made a lot some time ago... I take the opportunity to point to the thread : http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...+AND+maneuvers

Cool Great kid, now don’t get cocky…

K.W. don’t go Sally Fields on us (“You like me, you really, really like me…”).

Seriously though; with my flaw, I’d put it into a two-tier format:
    Level 1: A part is the prototype. Be it the: computer, weapon system, sensors, or what ever; if it brakes the ship’s replicators can’t reproduce it 100%, the ‘cloned’ part will always be flawed (much like photocopying). So, if this part bakes, and is un-repairable; then the ship must go to a starbase or shipyards (and that facility must be ‘advanced’, no ‘shade tree’ mechanics/engineering).

Level 2: The ship is the prototype. This is your basic Excelsior/Defiant story; the ship has that ‘new ship smell’ because it is a new ship, and truly ‘one of a kind’, until all tests are completed and results are approved. The problems with the flaw are two fold:
    1) The ship requires a ‘security clearance’ in order to be on it, let alone use it (so constant checking and cross-checking by the computer to make sure those accounted for are accountable )

2) If the ship brakes-down, the whole thing has to be towed to an ‘advanced’ starbase/shipyards for repair. This rule applies even if the ship is only partially damaged (well…except for the towing; of it can move at warp, then Starfleet will let it ‘limp in’)

This will be easier when they actually put out the Starship book, and assigning points to Flaws and Advantages.

Oh, well...more thoughts?

Truisms I know:
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!

Hi Modem,

/me Cools down his dancing

While I understand both your ideas, I feel one is more manageable than the other.

These kind of protoype flaws give +5 space, right...? What's troubling me is that you would be giving more space to a single ship, AND allowing for some more systems to be bought (using the extra space): that would mean every ship would have the prototype feel. Or, you are giving a flaw with nothing in return (I have no real problem with that mind you, but I am kinda assuming flaws allow you to buy some more items - otherwise where's the point ).

So IMO the "one of a kind" idea works better. Either you have an individual ship with a flaw, and no more of the kind on the assembly line, either you have design defects that all ships will have (like my USS Ascendant).

Or, of course, we could buy a flaw to an individual ship, crippling her but with nothing to balance, such as the experimental transwarp drive of the Excelsior.

All three work fine in game terms, only the latter is kinda "unfair", unless the game is set up on this particular premise.

Just some ramblings...!

I like the Prototype flaw, I like the idea that you could buy it for a system or for a whole ship.

I also think there should be an Engineer professional ability (or an Elite Class) that lets Engineers who are trained for it ignore the Prototype repair penalties. Actually, a ProfAb that lets you apply your Engineering skill to the penalty would be better. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any Experimental Tech skill speciality. Where would that fit?
    Game On!

Thumbs up My thinking...or lack thereof:)

Well K.W., I was thinking this for the latter version:
    The points gained from having the Flaw (when the ‘point system’ is established…and who ‘buy’s a flaw anyway? “Yes, I’d like ‘faulty Warp Core’ with a side of ‘fragile ODN conduits’.”) would fairly high.

From these points one could/should (with emphasis on the latter) buy such things as: Enhanced System, Hardened System, Unique System, or so on. ‘System’s being emphasized as; well the ship is basically a test-bed for systems (Warp Drives, Computers, Sensors, Etc.). Now this doesn’t mean ‘Nimble’ or ‘Ablative Armor’ couldn’t be bought, but ‘Battle Tested’ and the like should not (anything that requires a given length of time…this ship’s literally ‘fresh off the line’, so no physical tests of the design has occurred…no ‘simulations’ even Holodeck-styled one don’t count).

The ultimate thing about the type B version of ‘Prototype’ is no other ship of that ship design may be built until the ‘Flaw’ is bought off (through game-play, natch.). This way, if a flaw (beside ‘Prototype’) does occur, it can be corrected (bought off) before ‘mass production’…one hopes. (Another note: Ver. B ‘Prototype’ must be bought last, because if another flaw occurs [again, through game play], the ship can’t be mass-produced, not until all the ‘kinks’ are worked-out.).

(BTW: thanks Matt for the encouragement. As to the ‘Experimental Tech’ skill [which doesn’t exist] I say; apply a ‘whatever works’ principle: if the tech in question is based on something, then base it difficult of repair on that skill, with additional difficulty [“What the hell is that…” “I think it a noble-gas condense”])

Now, moving on to a new Edge (yeah, yeah I know that not what this board's about, but I had too throw this out there):

Guardian: The ship is part of a close fleet, maybe a long-term task fleet, maybe a ship with unique circumstances (like being a prototype, with a chaperone). That said, the ship always has a ‘swim buddy’ not that far away (about 4-6 hours away by warp). If the ship gets into great problems, the other ship maybe able to render assistance (say 1 in 6 chances). The ‘other ship’s’ size is 3 less than the ship with the advantage, down to a minimum of 2 (a shuttle pod isn’t much help, but a Runabout can be…).
    If more points are spent on this edge, then the other ship’s size may be increased (Max. of size of ‘edged ship’ plus one), and/or increased probability of assistance (Max. 3 in 6 chances of help.).

Thoughts?

Truisms I know:

The ultimate thing about the type B version of ‘Prototype’ is no other ship of that ship design may be built until the ‘Flaw’ is bought off (through game-play, natch.).
    Yes. Yes! I like the idea.
    However that would imply to save 5 pts of structure in the ship template to be able to buy the flaw off.
    Or, it could be decided that the space is "given" as a part of technological evolution.

Your Guardian idea is nice, but I don't feel comfortable with the idea of a ship Edge... Since you must pay for space to "buy" Edges, I have a feeling this must take some room aboard the ship How about doing it just as roleplay reward? YMMV of course.