Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [CODA] USS Ascendant

Thumbs up

Very nice design... I wonder how come I missed it the first time around ??

Anyways, I really like the fact that while it is 'modern' and something new you didn't go overboard with it. We have a very good example here of well-balanced designing. It would be really neat if you'd update it with the 'Starship' parts. Lastly, I like the "carsi" idea, it gives the design "personality".
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

Thanks Snake! I'm very glad the design seems sound to you

There's indeed an updated version of the design coming up - it will be in ESO. This one was only the prototype; after a refit, the class will be launched (if the players act well )

I'll post the refit starship pic and specs tomorrow (gotta go to bed)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Bonne nuit!
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

Merci beaucoup

You know this whole LCARSI thing is brilliant and opens up a lot of opportunities after about 2377 after the return of Voyager.

The EMH would be supplemented with the EMH V2, V3 and V4 etc.
    The ECH would be introduced fleetwide.

Then they could develop and EEH (Emergency Engineering Hologram) that could remain in Engineering even after an emergency that resulted in Engineering had been evacuated.

And then you could also have LCARSI which isn't emergency based and is always present. She/he would be supplemented in emergency situations by the other holograms.

But LCARSI itself and the others could also open up adventure possibilities regarding the growing issue of holographic/AI rights which Star Trek always touched on (TNG's "Ship in a Bottle", "Elementary My Dear Data" etc) but never really kind of picked up and ran with proper (and never concluded either) in Voy's "Author Author".

My GM brain is working overtime now.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

Wow, brilliant I dunno, after all I just got inspiration from Andromeda

But yes! The AI reaching towards sentience is the issue I've been wanting to develop there - mainly, try my hand with a different angle at the problems tackled mostly with Data and the EMH. In my game, Carsi has yet another approach of sentience: she is the ship in the truest meaning of the word. Although appearing under the guise of a charming and seducing young woman, many details are unsettling. For instance, the fact that she only has to glance at LCARS panels to operate them; that when she's accessing the sensors, her look is distant etc...

In my game, Carsi (and the LCARS-I line) does not aspire at being a human, taking her apart from Data and the EMH - she wants to be a good Starfleet officer, which is different. She wants to learn concepts like humor, art, but not as a quest to humanity - rather as a quest towards completeness. Which does not present some independent, maybe rash behaviour (in the case of the AI Magellanic) She's a passionate learner (after all, she's an exploration ship).

Here is the ESO write up for the class (minus spoilers for my game):

Starfleet ascendant-class
    Light Explorer, Commissioned: 2372

HULL DATA
    Structure: 35 (5 ablative armor)
    Size/Decks: 6/12
    Length/Height/Beam: 303/89/72
    Complement: 62

Tactical DATA
    Phasers: Type X Pulse (x3/C)
    Penetration: 5/3/3/0/0
    Torpedo Launchers: Mk 95 DF (x1/C)
    Quantum Penetration: 5/5/5/5/5
    Deflector Shield: FSR (E)
    Protection/Threshold: 17/4

Propulsion DATA
    Impulse System: FIG-7 (.95c) (E)
    Warp System: LF-50 Mod.1 (9/9.5/9.99) (E)

Operational DATA
    Atmosphere Capable: Yes
    Cargo Units: 60
    Life Support: Class 4 (E)
    Operations System: Class 4 (E)
    Sensor System: Class 4 (+4/E)
    Separation System: No
    Shuttlebay: 1 a
    Shuttlecraft: 6 Size worth
    Tractor beams: 1 fv, 1 ad
    Transporters: 6 standard, 6 emergency

Miscellaneous DATA
    Maneuver Modifiers: +2 C, +0 H, +2 T
    Traits: Ablative Armor, Intricate System (Operations), Pulse Upgrade, Sentient Computer, Vulnerable System (Operations)

Mission
    Originally a test-bed for the LCARS-I system, the Ascendant-class is a rather small, fast, maneuverable and efficient explorer designed for a wide variety of mission profiles, scientific thanks to the cutting-edge sentient computer, as well as tactical with its outstanding capabilities. In many ways, the Ascendant-class combines the best of two popular designs, the Intrepid-class and the Defiant-class.

Features
    The Ascendant-class features a new and unique system: the Library Computer Access and Retrieval System Incarnation, shortened as “LCARS-I”. This artifical and sentient personality, initially developed by young engineering genius Benjamin Sandeker, provides users with a friendly interface able to understand complex commands and reconfigure ship functionalities on the fly. The artificial intelligence is able to learn from its interactions with the crew and from its experiences; it takes care silently of most routine tasks aboard the ship. As the ship is fully fitted with holographic emitters, the AI manifests itself physically under the form of a holographic character – generally a young woman. The AI tends to be considered as a crew member like any other by the crew rather than like a computer program; moreover, each ship of the class has a different AI, with a different avatar, and different personalities. The downside is that the system is quite vulnerable and very complex to repair.
    The Ascendant-class is fully equipped for scientific missions, as shows its atmospheric capabilities and Class 4 sensor systems. The shuttlebay, situated at the rear, allows the deployment of auxiliary craft.
    The class also boasts superb tactical capabilities based on recent technologies, such as the ablative armor or the FSR shield grid, which equips upgraded Galaxy-class starships. The Ascendant-class is also equipped with pulse phasers and quantum torpedo launchers.
    The class is also faster than most ships of its size, thanks to the brand new LF-50 Mod.1 warp drive which can sustain warp 9.5 as its maximum normal cruise speed; the FIG-7 impulse drive allows Ascendant-class startships to outrun even fighters.

Background
    Developed first as a prototype in 2370 under the direction of admiral Terrence Ogby, the Ascendant-class was designed as a prototype frigate. Ethical debates raged over the Federation Council and the Advance Starfleet Design Bureau: it was considerable unreasonable and unethical to give so much power to an artificial intelligence over a starship, when personality routines have been deliberately kept out of LCARS systems for years. As a result, many limitations to the AI’s power have been introduced, in order to keep it as an assistant to the captain, not the other way round.
    Many shortcomings appeared during the two years of testing that followed: the LCARS-I system was too much trouble to repair, too vulnerable for the benefits added. However, upon an encounter with the android NRX, the AI (nicknamed “Carsi”) was considerably upgraded, to the point that the personalities of LCARS-I systems made them almost undistinguishable from real people. Yet, the LCARS-I system was totally integrated to the starship’s mainframe as a consequence, so that, really, the AI is the ship and considers itself as such.
    The ASDB got back to the drawing board, and with the help of cdr. Loryk, ltn. cdr. Page, ltn cdr. Yvok, ltn. cdr. Sandeker, ltn. Kera Doyt and ltn. Faren Antos – the senior offifcers of the original U.S.S. Ascendant – the ship was refitted. The Ascendant-class was approved and production began with a group of three ships, setting the convention that all further ships would bear a name in two parts, one of them being the name of the AI. All three AIs developed much different personalities under the tutelage of Carsi, and as complex and efficient as the first one, making effectively four different beings.
    During the Hydra Case, the Ascendant-class proved a very efficient design, both for long-range exploration and combat. The Dominion War put a halt to the development of the class, as the assembling of such a ship, due to the LCARS-I system, is very complex and time-consuming. However the Ascendant-class vessels illustrated themselves in coordinating wings of much larger ships, thanks to the advanced capabilities of the AI’s.
    The production will very likely resume as the need for medium and long-range exploration increases again with the return of peace.

Ships In Service

U.S.S. Ascendant (NCC-76620)
    Prototype launched in 2370; underwent heavy refit (2372) before class validation; thwarted the Hydra Project (2373) (R20, Famous) (AI name: Carsi)

U.S.S. Maffei Tenebrant (NCC-77284)
    Coordinated the third wing assault during the Second Battle of Betazed (2375) (AI name: Maffei)

U.S.S. Pax Magellanic (NCC-77283)
    Most independent and voluntary AI to date; disappeared under mysterious circumstances during the First Battle of Betazed (2374) (AI name: Magellanic)

U.S.S. Phœnix Rising (NCC-77285)
    Less independent AI to date; participated as back-up during the final attack on Cardassia (2375) (AI name: Phœnix)

Can you tell us more how your players handled with the original Carsi??

Thijs Krijger
    ---------------------

Hey I was reading through this, and am doing something quite similar for my own campaign, so I figured I'd ask a question. I'm having difficulty building my own ship. This ship is being outfitted with an experimental quantum slipstream drive, thanks to Voyager's return. I'm intending it to explore past the normal border of the known galaxy. In my mind, I would think such a ship would be a large Heavy Explorer, size 9 or size 10 since its entire purpose would be to explore far from UFP space without support or backup. However, part of my mind is reflexively pulling away from such a "twinked-out" design. What do you guys think? Would they build an entirely new ship to house the new computer and drive system, or woudl they refit an existing class, like a Sovereign, with this system? Or should I just say to hell with it, and use the Ascendant-class?
    Vash: They weren't exactly thrilled to see you on Brax. What was it they called you? "God of Lies?"

Q: They meant it affectionately.

Q-Less, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine