Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [CODA] USS Ascendant

[CODA] USS Ascendant

Hello all,

I wanted to share the ship featured in our series... I hope you like it!

Ascendant-class versatile frigate
    PRODUCTION DATA:
    Origin: United Federation of Planets
    Class and Type: Ascendant-class versatile frigate
    Year Launched: 2371

HULL DATA:
    Structure: 30
    Size/Decks: 5/8
    Length/Beam/Height: 200x80x50 meters
    Complement: 42

OPERATIONAL DATA:
    Transporters: 2/2/2
    Atmospheric Capability: Yes
    Tractor Beam: 1 fv
    Sensor System: Class 4 (+4/E)
    Operations System: Class 4 (E)
    Life Support: Class 4 (E)

PROPULSION DATA:
    Impulse System: Class 8 (.92c) (E)
    Warp System: Class 7 (7/8/9) (C)

TACTICAL DATA:
    Pulse phaser arrays
    Penetration: 4/4/4/0/0 (C)
    Quantum torpedoes
    Penetration: 5/5/5/5/5 (C)
    Deflector Shields: Class 5 (C)
    Protection/Threshold: 15/3

MISCELLANEOUS DATA:
    Maneuver Modifiers: C +0, H +2, T +2

----- TRAITS -----

Edges:

Library Computer Access and Retrieval System Incarnation - Holocybernetic Intelligence Matrix Mark I
    This is to the LCARS system what the holographic doctor is to medecine. The LCARS Incarnation (nicknamed "Carsi") is the embodiement of the computer systems. The ship is fully equipped with holoemitters; Carsi can interact with the crew using its holographic incarnation or on monitors. Basically, she's like Andromeda's AI, only her freedom is more limited and she has a lot to learn about the human nature.

Flaws:

Limited coordination
    The ship only has the following departments: helm, science, ops / engineering, tactical, medecine. Carsi executes all routine monitoring and tasks.

Vulnerable system (ops)
    Intricate system (ops) x2
    This refers to the sensitivity of Carsi's systems.

(For the new flaws, see http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...&threadid=5625 )

Visual Description:
    Take a look at
    http://rpg.lionelkw.com/ascendant.jpg
    (Yes, it's based on a Nova pic )

Background:
    Following the breakthrough of the holodoctor, and feeling that smaller versatile ships like the Interpid would be useful, admiral Terence Ogby of Starfleet Command launched the Ascendant project: a medium-range frigate designed for a variety of tasks, from military infiltration to light exploration; it is the testbed for the LCARS Incarnation matrix, designed to increase computer response time and solution finding. The ship inaugurates a new command structure, with the Command branch reduced to the bare minimum. There are no CO or XO - decisions in action are taken by the highest ranking officer, and in downtime, taken in full staff meetings.
    The project is widely debated, because of the power given on humans to an AI, and of the command structure some people view as heretic.

Notes:
    This is the ship used since the middle of our 6th season, from our ep 6x02, "Ascendancy". The PCs were chosen because of their initiative qualities, and their abilities to act on their own, so as to dismantle the Grey drug traffic that plagues the UFP.

Well, I hope you like it and the concept. Comments welcome!
    Last edited by KillerWhale; 10-19-2002 at 11:10 AM.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

All I can say is.... are you psychic? That's exactley the sort of ship I've been planning for my crew! Right down to the Nova- like look and the interactive computer (Thus avoiding the problem of telling a player 'You see X on your screen' or 'the console tells you Y').

However, I would say that your pic is much, much, much better then mine.... do you mind if I use it just to show the players?

Mark.
    'Wish I could Help you....Wish I could tell you,
    That I am real, I'm not something you invented,
    That I'm not everything you want me to be.'

'And I am...Ageless. And I am....Invincible.'

Talking

Hi Pathstrider! Thanks for the nice comments!! Looks like I passed my Telepathy roll

Please feel free to use the material in your campaign! I'm glad you like it and proud that you want to use it

I did the full listing of the crew as well. When I have time I'll upload it.

I love that ship

I think she's the best one starfleet never done

thank you mr kw

and I m very proud to serve on her

for all GM: i think a "custom" ship is the dream of all strpg players

captain loryk
    commanding officer
    uss ascendant ncc 76620

Carsi ... nice name and nice idea...
    Do you get your players cracking up a sexual inuendo jokes about her?
    Is she going to try to lern to do things as the doctor did?
    Captain Alexandra Polanski
    CO, USS Archangel (flag of 7th Fleet, RRTF operations)

For the sexual jokes I think it will be difficult because our pilot who is THE sex-symbol of the game fells disgust by being attracted by an hologram. But there perhaps will be a great love story between CARSI and our new bajoran chief engineer
    who knows ...

For the other aspect, CARSI is able to learn as the doctor in VOYAGER do. And if it's not a priority of all the crew it's one of mine.

It's one of the missions of the ascendant : lead CARSI in his evolution.

And it gives some very interesting scenes of role play
    captain loryk
    commanding officer
    uss ascendant ncc 76620

Thanks for the feedback Polanski

I think Cdr. Loryk summed it up quite well... I might add that Carsi is able to learn just like the doctor, but she has better manners. However he also has her own tempers - duty is of utmost importance to her and has the priority - just like any good officer . She doesn't stand any tampering with her systems or anything.

However, unlike any other AIs or cybernetic entities (Data, the Doctor, 7o9) she has no desire to become human - that would be pointless: she's a starship and she's perfectly fine with that. However she wants to be considered as a member of the crew just like anyone else (which, of course, may imply some quest on the nature of humanity).

That doesn't mean she may not develop some more human traits over the course of the game - Carsi has been in space for less than a year, and there is still room for plenty of development - we'll see how the Crew reacts to her.

She pertains to the Command branch and has a say in every decision just like any senior officer.

Only our hotshot pilot has some problems with her being a very attractive woman (yes, she is just like Lexa Doig), but so far, nobody has really tackled sentimental domains or sexual jokes. I believe it's a bit early for that and the players seem to recall always she's an AI (picture this: a beautiful woman comes you way and says "Hello lieutenant, how are you today? I'm glad to hear that. Could you take a look at my starboard plasma transfer conduit? I'm detecting a slight imbalance in the warp field. My thanks. Have a good day". It's also kind of weird to see her access the LCARS panels merely by nodding at them. As Loryk says, the roleplaying possibilites for crew interactions scenes are endless and really interesting ).

BTW, so far, only Cdr. Loryk has really taken true steps to incorporate her more into the missions and make her feel at ease.

Very interesting...

I must admit I am not much for AIs in my ST Campaign, for I like to make it more of a war drama with adventure, intrigue and exploration included.

Saying that I have nothing against them, they just do not exist on that level in my timeline and my starfleet.

I always wondered why all women AI are so ... perfectly good looking. I must admit that I really like the way that Cortana was show in Halo (XBox Game).

Imagine a holo projection of a female form, about 1:5 scale of real human. The body as such composed out of magenta or violet data streams (think Matrix data streams) that are constantly flowing. Of course with fully developed facial features and anatomicaly correct form (just wihtout the details).

I might (with your permission) create a holo program with Carsi as a sort of data/library assistant. Something that my players may interact in holodeck when doing research and development work... but I must admit this is how far I would go myself.

Saying that, in my campaign the Starfleet R&D is working on holo projections for tactical situations. Bascily a holoprojected 3d display that lays out a tactical situation for the commanding officer, linked via neural interface so when the officer looks on the object in the display the system delivers relevant data (such as location, speed, distace, vector of movement ect)...

It is rumored that the new Sovereign Class (basicly second generation) will have that fit in and the design is about 2 years away (the campaign takes place 8 years after the Dominion War)

Kind Regards
    Daniel

Hmm... War drama? You wouldn't happen to have campaign logs posted somewhere...? When we get to the Dominion War (if the players don't screw the timeline, which they may very well do...) I'll be looking for all adventures and ideas possible in a war setting, and if you would be ready to spare some, I'd be interested...

Thanks for the description of Cortana... Seems nice It's true we always female AIs, male AIs being generally evil or really alien...

As for AIs, well it had struck me for a time that while Starfleet is able to design incredible AIs like the doctor, the LCARS in itself is incredibly dumb. So I wondered what the next evolution might be... I thought "holo-AI", then later I saw Andromeda... and found what I wanted. We switched over to the Ascendant when the Crew expressed a liking to flee the responsibilities implied by a Galaxy-class starship.

Please adapt Carsi to your setting as you see fit. I have edited and mixed some screenshots from Trek and Andromeda, you may find them useful, you can see them here:

Carsi on screen with an LCARS console, as seen on the right of the bridge
    http://rpg.lionelkw.com/carsi.jpg
    Carsi appearing on the main viewscreen
    http://rpg.lionelkw.com/carsi_viewscreen.jpg
    Starfleet introductory file to the LCARS-I project and the USS Ascendant
    http://rpg.lionelkw.com/lcarsi_file.jpg

Your tactical simulation is a nice idea... A new Sovereign? Will you post somewhere what it looks like and the specs?
    Last edited by KillerWhale; 10-19-2002 at 11:12 AM.

Love the pictures ...

[puts the captain's hat on]

As captain Polanski would say upon seeing Carsi...
    "Lady, you are on my bridge, therefore I expect you to comply to my dressing code ... so ... go and get dressed..."

[takes off the captain's hat]

I just might use picture no2, to help them imagine their new LCARS support system. Then XO will probably report the unusual rise of interest in LCARS system usage and research...

I wonder why

Kind Regards
    Daniel
    Last edited by Polanski; 10-19-2002 at 12:22 PM.

Glad you like'em Please let me know how the players react, what they think when you incorporate the idea in your games!

Well, if Cdr. Loryk was to tell her something like that, I believe she'd first point out the reason for her outfit and then, if he insists, answer something like: "Yes sir. Operation will take three seconds. Accessing specs" zoof "Operation completed. Is that what you had in mind?"

In fact, her dressing is more relaxed than the other officers, just like the counselor's, so as to make everybody more at ease with her (just like for the counselor ). She's supposed to have stylized okudagrams all other her suit...

Counselor?
    This is an Intelligence Vessel ... we do not have a counselor ... yet

Ha, we don't either, but that's... for the comparison

Originally posted by KillerWhale

Your tactical simulation is a nice idea... A new Sovereign? Will you post somewhere what it looks like and the specs?
    Nothing ground breaking, basicly a Sovereign with same look and feel but with some armour plating and updated systems and hardware. Basicly it will be about 20 years after the initial one left the space dock so it is a time to refit the design ...

When it comes to that I might post the stats...

Kind Regards
    Daniel

I know it's bad form, but I'm just bumping this thread so it doesn't die as some people manifested some interest in it