Thread: space ships - ICON

space ships - ICON

I have not read the LUGTrek books, but am considering purchasing them (TOS version). I have a question about ship assignments. Is it true that the characters have to belong on a Constitution-class ship? If so, is there no way to let beginning characters be on a small vessel?

Also, does the TOS rulebook include ship-to-ship combat rules? Which ships (or classes) are included?

Thanks,
    TA
    "If I turn the other cheek it is because I am reaching for my other gun."
    -- Tony Macrini

I don't have the TOS book, but all of the ICON books had the basic starship combat system rules included. There was no requirement to be on any particular type of ship in any of the rule books. The ICON ship rules were pretty clear and it was quite easy to design a ship intuitively, so if none of the ships excite you, you can easily come up with one that suits your purposes.

Re: space ships - ICON

Originally posted by Thoth Amon
    I have not read the LUGTrek books, but am considering purchasing them (TOS version). I have a question about ship assignments. Is it true that the characters have to belong on a Constitution-class ship? If so, is there no way to let beginning characters be on a small vessel?

Also, does the TOS rulebook include ship-to-ship combat rules? Which ships (or classes) are included?

Thanks,
    TA
    Owen is correct, the starship combat rules are also printed in the TOS Core Book.

Beginning characters may certainly serve aboard a smaller ship than a Constitution. The ships detailed in the Core Book are:

UFP Ships:
    Constitution-Class
    Ranger-Class
    Daedalus-Class
    Class-F Shuttlecraft
    Antares-Class Science Vessel
    T'Pari-Class Surveyor

Civilian Ships:
    DY-500-Class Ship
    Class-J Starship
    Class-B Freighter
    Space Cruiser

Klingon Ships:
    D-9 "Devil"-Class Battlecruiser
    D-7 "Deadly"-Class Battlecruiser
    D-5 "Devastator"-Class Battlecruiser

Romulan Ships:
    Bird of Prey

Miscellaneous Ships:
    Orion Pirate Ship
    Tholian Webship
    Gorn Battlecruiser

Cheers,

Steve
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    The ICON ship rules were pretty clear and it was quite easy to design a ship intuitively, so if none of the ships excite you, you can easily come up with one that suits your purposes.
    Or you could try to convert one of the ships in the Spacedock TOS SRM back to the basic Icon rules. You can do it with the conversion guidelines in Spacedock without knowing much, if anything, about Spacedock itself.

Thanks fellows

Thanks fellows, I appreciate it. Basic combat rules and a handful of ships is what I was hoping for.

Thoth Amon
    -- Tony Macrini

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    There was no requirement to be on any particular type of ship in any of the rule books.
    Not quite right. At has to be at least a ship with a life support system
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

I forgot to ask: are there starship construction instructions in the rulebook? Maybe something similar to the Starship Construction Manual from the FASA days?

Thoth Amon
    -- Tony Macrini

Originally posted by Thoth Amon
    I forgot to ask: are there starship construction instructions in the rulebook? Maybe something similar to the Starship Construction Manual from the FASA days?

Thoth Amon
    Ah, no. But it certainly isn't difficult to wing a design of your own.

Or if you feel adventerous you could try to contruct one by downloading the SPACEDOCK e-book and giving that a whirl.

It rocks and can create TOS ships with a bit of tooling.

I may d/l the Spacedock book and give it a looksie. I bought TOS LugTrek last night and glanced over it. I will be giving it a closer look today, God willing and the crick don't rise

I wanted some starship construction rules because I don't plan on running anything resembling a canon Trek game. I have full intentions of having the Battlestar Galactica, X-wing fighters and Beowulf-class free traders stopping to gas up at the Babylon 5 space station! I hope I don't get axed by y'all for that!!!

After I read the game, I will see if I can swing it with what the game book includes. If not, I will check out Spacedock.

Thoth Amon
    -- Tony Macrini

Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom, Earth, Sector 001
    In addition to downloading Spacedock, I would suggest downloading SRM4(?) Thats the TOS/Movie era Spacedock ships.
    -------------------------
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

"In time of war, the law falls silent"

Admiral Ross to Dr Bashir

Not quite Canon

Why not go to other sources for ships and ideas. In my LUG Trek game I have ships and people based from B5, Crusade, Battlestar Galactica, Tenchi Muyo, Space Battleship Yamato, Aliens, Predator, various fantasy and sci-fi novels, Micronauts comic book series, Dungeons and Dragons (2nd Ed.) and the Rifts RPG and probably lots of stuff that I am forgetting. I use whatever will help me tell the story and create a compelling and challenging tale of adventure and discovery. If it works use it, and if not then don't. I think everyone who posts to this board would agree on that. And if they don't? Who gives a Frell. Oh did I mention Farscape?

Live long and plagerize till the bovine come home.
    I think, therefore I...<BELLLLCCCHH> oops. ^_^