Thread: Is there going to be an SRM aimed specifically at Space Stations?

Question Is there going to be an SRM aimed specifically at Space Stations?

Just wondering if there was anything in the works for releasing definitive rules about Space Station construction. Or if there's already stuff out there, where can I find it?

Many thanx

Tim Hills
    a.k.a Bobby George
    Tim "Bobby George" Hills

we can hope..
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

Steve Long has always said that this would be his next SRM project for Spacedock - if and when he finds enough time for it.

So yes, we can hope, but just don't hold your breath. Unless you can go without air much longer than I suspect.

There's quick and dirty rules for space station construction in the Cardie book.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

SRM: Space Stations & Starbases is next on my list of SRMs to do. However, I can't work on it until I have (a) the spare time, and (b) the interest. B's usually around to some degree, but A is sadly lacking at present, and likely will be for the foreseeable future, I'm afraid.
    Steve Long
    HERO System Line Developer

Designing our own stations

Will the rules differ greatly from the ones currently laid out in the Cardie book Greg talked about?

Also, as stations are 8 sizes larger than ships, what would the SU limitations be on size 9 and 10 stations? Because there aren't any guidelines for size 17 and 18 ships.

Sorry about all these questions, but I'm trying to upgrade a tool I've made and the only thing I need to do now is stations.

Bobby George
    Tim "Bobby George" Hills

I haven't seen the rules Greg talks about, and I have no intention of looking at them, so I have no idea how compatible what I create will be with what he's referring to.

I'm afraid I don't have any guidelines on SUs or anything that I can share right now.
    Steve Long
    HERO System Line Developer

Just extrapolate the table.

Example:

Size 17, length 6000-6999, beam 3000-3499, height 1800-1999, SU 10000-15000, mass 23 million - 27 million tonnes.

Size 18, length 7000-7999, beam 3500-3999, height 2000-2000, SU 14000-20000, Mass 27 million - 32 million tonnes.

The sizes don't really reflect space station dimensions, but they give some guidelines. I was going to create different size tables for different designs of station for the Cardie book, but in the end I decided that was more detail than was really required.
    Greg

Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Well, ultimately these size classes are only a guideline aren't they. Still, I was surprised the size outlines stopped at 16, because surely you can have a size 16 ship with MVAM, thus being allowed the SU entitlement of a size 18. Still, never mind.

That's the good thing about these forums, we can iron out little inconsistancies like this.
    Tim "Bobby George" Hills

Size 16 with MVAM!! Holy Giant Separating Starships, Batman!

Of course there is the linking of eight Borg cubes into a Fusion Cube in Armada II. That probably comes pretty close.
    Greg

Madworld, Donnie Darko.

No, linking 8 Borg Tactical Cubes would give a ship far bigger than Size 18, just 1 cube is on the upper boundaries of size 16. Still, the ships can't separate and rejoin as easily as would be expected for an MVAM system. Perhaps it can be a specific system used solely on Borg Cubes.

Those Fusion cubes are cool on Armada 2 tho, send one of those into action and you'll be very unlucky to lose.
    Tim "Bobby George" Hills

Actually, the combat capabilities of the Fusion Cubes are more like those that a standard Borg Cube should be compared to a Galaxy-Class, it's just the Armada programmers had to maintain some game balance.

You're right though - a Fusion Cube can walk over pretty much anything else in the game. I even used the Map Editor to recreate Wolf 359 at one point...
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

on the subject of fusion cubes

yes they are nice but i like to send several species 8472 behemoths to the muddle of a group of any ships using there spatial rift ability 5 or 6 wikk tear up just about anything