Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [CODA] NX-02 or Quanotyn

NX-02 or Quanotyn

This is a design that I came up with. The only changes to this are in the warp system. Instead of using the defaults (4/5/6) I just changed them to (4/4.5/5) To fit the NX era time.

Production Data

Name(Class or Ship name): Quanotyn Class
    Year Launched: 2152
    Class: Quanotyn
    Type: Light Explorer
    Origin: Starfleet

Hull Data

Structure: 60
    Size: 6
    Decks: 13
    Length: 307
    Height: 52
    Beam: 174
    Complement: 156

Operational Data

Transporters: 2 Standard, 4 Cargo
    Cargo Units: 60
    Shuttlebays: 2
    Shuttles: 12 Size Worth
    Tractor Beams: 2 Grapplig Arms
    Seperation System: None
    Masking System: None
    Sensor System: Class 2 (+2/C)
    Operations System: Class 2 (C)
    Life Support: Class 2 (C)
    Atmosphere Capable: Yes

Propulsion Data

Impulse System: Type IV (.5c) (D)
    Warp System: Type IV (4/4.5/5) (C)

Tactical Data

Beam Weapon: Type One Phaser Cannons (x6)
    Penetration: 3/3/2/0/0 (B)
    Missile Weapon: Missils Type 1 (x3)
    Penetration: 4/4/4/4/4 (B)
    Deflector Dish: Class 1 (A)
    Protection: 12
    Threshold: 1

Miscellaneous

Edges: Unique System(Docking Ports) Allows ship to dock with other ships.
    Flaws:

0H 2 C 2 T

Well I haven't a clue what a CODA ship should look like Matt, but she seems good.

Live long and eat brownies.
    I think, therefore I...<BELLLLCCCHH> oops. ^_^

For only the second exploratory starship ever built by Earth, the Quanotyn seems awfully advanced. It's a huge jump up from the NX-01.

• from one rarely-used transporter to six
    • from two shuttlepods to six
    • from 83 crew to 156

I'm also not sure if the NX-02 would be a different class of starship from the NX-01. Archer did mention at some point that there would be more "NX class" starships. I took that to mean there would be a couple more ships just like Enterprise (NCC-02, -03, -04), then maybe they'd start building others. This is semi-confirmed by the Star Trek website writeup on the NX-01 ("The first of a new generation of warp 5 starships")

I'd suggest maybe making the Quanotyn Class start with the NX-05, constructed 2154 at the absolute earliest.
    Last edited by Re'k; 10-18-2002 at 01:39 PM.
    "Ah, those are the days - I figured I'd get some caffeine in me and restart my brain, instead it blue screened. Man, that's the last time I buy my brain from Microsoft."
    --Largo, weekly rant 01Feb2001, Megatokyo

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    This ship looks like a real bruiser compared to the NX-01. I'd say let it come about as Starfleets need for a tougher ship for the Romulan War. I'd also cut down on the transporters, maybe 3 and one of those will be the cargo only type. Maybe make the Spatial Torpedoes vulnerable to being shot down because they are incredibly slow.
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

I am with the others on the number of transporters and shuttles, i.e. they seem a bit high.

Matt, I haven't checked the numbers on this baby, but did you pay the early availability cost (8 spaces AFAICT) for the shields? (NG, p. 137 "System Availability")

Atmospheric capability for a size 6 ship may be allowed by the rules, but I have my doubts if Earth could manufacture a ship this big with enough structural integrity for it during the Enterprise-era.

Instead of jazzing up the structure to 60 I would spent some spaces to get a Hardened System edge for the shields and maybe the weapons as well, or you find yourself in a world of trouble when these systems get hit early in a fight.

OTOH I don't think the docking ports really require a Unique System edge. With transporters being still somewhat experimental every ship of the era should have them, even without buying them as a separate system.

These are of course only my personal opinions, so disregard whatever you don't agree with...

First of all the shields are not sheilds. It is polarized hull plating. this was released as a temporary fix for the shields for NX era. It was said by Jesse Heinig over on the official boards.

Secondly that was a typo in the year. It was supposed to be 2156. Just in time for the Earth/Romulan wars. The transporters I figure are just there so that they can beam up two people at a time in an Emergency. The Cargo transporters are probably being utilized more in four years.

I want the feeling of a hard to win battles with a ship of this age. The stucture is there just to represent extra space and a little extra edge so that the players will not die when a Klingon ship comes at them.

As far as the landing systems go, I don't see why they couldn't have made a ship that could land in an emergency. In five years from the launch of the NX-class they could have made some improvements. Also It would have just been in an Emergency anyway. There is no reason to do it otherwise. So the structural Integrity would have had some trouble dealing with the pressures but in an Emergency it could probably get through with just some Primary Hull Breaches. It is not like the Intrepid Class that can land anytime. This ship can only land in an Emergency.

I hope this cleared some of my reasonings up. Still the comments are greatly appreciated but wanted to clear some things up.

I believe (but I may be mistaken) it was stated in Voy that the first starship (barring shuttles) to be able to land in Starfleet history was the Interpid-class. It would be necessary to view again the first ep where Voy lands (I don't recall what it was...)

Just my two cents.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Don't you hate canon some times. I am aware I could throw that out the window but I don't want to so I will scrap this design and maybe just make a smaller ship.

Hey, I'd say if you have good stories that require atmospheric capability, I'd say go for it. Don't let canon get in the way of a good story.

But if you don't, then maybe it's best to follow canon.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    Most saucer sections had the theoretical ability to land on a planets surface in an emergency using impulse engines, thrusters, and shields. Like the Ent-D did in Generations.
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

IIRC, It says the first of this size... an Intrepid is bigger than a Nimitz class carrier(slightly more than the deck length, thrice the max beam and six times the full height). Then again, IMHO, It would require a reduction of dimensions for the NX class to be a potential lander, but it's mere fannish advice. And Equinox forced an in-atmosphere chase for Voyager in Equinox while being a few years older...

Well, I can't say that I do but like the option.

"Don't let canon get in the way of telling a good story -- the show's writers certainly don't!"

I'd be interested in seeing some <i>Enterprise</i>-era games with <i>Dauntless</i>-class vessels. After all, we actually see a model of that class in <i>Deep Space Nine</i>.

J.H.

its not the dauntless class

on captain siskos table is not the dauntless class that was the name of the slipstream ship from voyager the table top model from ds9 is the dadalus class named for the greek hero who created wings for himself and his son icarus out of feathers and wax

Okeedokey Smokey

Like I said. I haven't the foggiest idea of what most of the CODA stats mean, but I assumed you were using the more current systems to simulate the older ones for the sake of expediency. Still, just remember the period and think small as far as capabilities go. I think the Daedalus would be an excellent option. Plenty of data to build on and the timing is good for it as well. Besides, I would love the idea of thumbing the proverbial nose at Berman. But as said before, "Never let canon stand in the way of a good story." But at least try to let canon guide the general path so that everyone is on the same page so far as capabilities and such.

Live long and never forget your towel.
    I think, therefore I...<BELLLLCCCHH> oops. ^_^