Thread: Typhon Expanse and Red Fire Swamp?

Typhon Expanse and Red Fire Swamp?

What kind of missions would you have your ship go on in a Typhon Expanse place. Or the Briar Patch?

Cool

I think the Typhon's rift would be a difficult module to run, perhaps running a preset scenario and having the players make perception checks for a chance to detect a sense of Deja vu, although I think you would have to make it a one chance to fix things though or your players will probably catch on quick enough that multiple loops could be problematic. as for areas like this and the briar patch I think they are more like a secondary concern in a main adventure (say for example a radiation cloud that hides a group of Cardassian pirates) it's is probably best to look at these space anomalies as additional hazards. again chasing cardassians might be a relatively simple task until you enter a place like the Briar patch, or worse a tychon's rift!
    wherever you go there you are

There's nothing in the episode Cause and Effect to suggest that the temporal rift really had anything to do with the Typhon Expanse - that's just where it happened. The time loop I see as an event - it happened (and happened and happened) and it's over. The Typhon Expanse is merely an area of space (possibly withing the Typhon Sector).

Romulusprime seems to be mixing up the temporal loop which took place in the Typhon Expanse with a Tyken's Rift, an anomaly which trapped ships and caused REM sleep deprivation among those trapped within.

As for the Briar Patch, it's merely an nastyarea of space where fluctuating subspace energy fields make warp travel and subspace communications/sensors useless. The only thing of note there is the Bak'u planet, which does lend itself to some plotlines - perhaps some stranded Jem'Hadar (who may have killed their Vorta, and are not accompanied by a Founder) are trying to contact the Son'a in order to acquire some ketracel White. Alternatively, perhaps the Orion Syndicate, or a Ferengi Dai-mon, or whoever, are attempting to drain off some of the life-extending radiation from the rings around the Bak'u planet. They could even be trying to kill off the Bak'u in order to take over the planet and live forever.

I believe Matt is reffering to the Typhon Expanse. An area of space commonly thought of as a Borg buffer zone of sorts. It is an area of actual void. No stars, no navigational landmarks.

There are many good ideas for that area. One of which is a fun way to introduce an older vessel. The ship was hijacked or it was deliberately sent there to avoid finding its way home because it is overrun with an alien lifeform. FASA used that premise in a small adventure set in a similar area. A Constitution Refit finds an old Constitution.

The Briar patch is good cause you can always say that a bunch of Pirates are looking for a "Treasure" Or something along those lines and the players must stop them from getting to the Baku.
    I think, therefore I...<BELLLLCCCHH> oops. ^_^

Navigational Hazards

A smaller starship (or even a less frequent large one) could be assigned to service a/o maintain the navigational bouys, or chart out the anomalies (sp?) in the area pursuant to trade routes being established.
    Also, if heavy Federation (or other) traffic can be expected in the area, ships in distress (pirates, smugglers, spatial warps, left over gravitic mines, etc) would abound- and the PCs would be obliged to charge in to the rescue, leading to all sorts of mischief.

You may find something inspiring at this site...
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

To warp a bit of dialogue from The Princess Bride:

"What about the ar-oh-yu-ess-es?"

"Romulans Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist..."

:::cue fight music:::

“In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy