Thread: LotR RPG Characters [Long]

Post LotR RPG Characters [Long]

I'm working on the first chapter in my LotR chronicle, so I thought I'd post the characters for my two main players for those interested in such things. Campaign Start Date: Fourth Age 61.

Comments , as always, welcomed.

Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Éodred
    Race: Man of Rohan
    Racial Abilities: Adaptable, Dominion of Man, Skilled.

Attributes: Bearing 7, Nimbleness 10 (+2)*, Perception 7, Strength 12 (+3)*, Vitality 9 (+2), Wits 7.
    * Favoured Attributes

Reactions: Stamina +3*, Swiftness +2, Willpower +2, Wisdom +0.
    *Favoured Reaction

Order: Warrior
    Order Abilities: Evasion
    Advancements: 1
    Packages: Rider of Rohan, Horseman

Skills: Attribute modifiers included.
    Armed Combat: Blades (Longsword) +8, Ranged Combat: Bows (Shortbow) +5, Debate (Parley) +1, Healing (Treat Wounds) +2, Inspire +3, Intimidate (Power) +3, Languages: Adunaic +1, Rohirric +5, Sindarin +1, Westron +4, Lore: History (Men) +5, Lore: Realm (Rohan) +5, Observe (Spot) +3, Ride (Horse) +5, Siegecraft (Unit Leadership) +1, Survival (Mountains) +1, Track (Orcs) +3.

Edges: Ally (King Éomer), Doughty, Eloquent, Fair, Hardy, Healing Hands, Honour's Insight, Night-eyed, Quick Draw, Rank (1), Warwise.

Flaws: Code of Honour (Warrior's Code), Fealty (King Éomer), Oath (Allow no Orc to live or walk in Rohan).

Defence: 12 (10 + Nimbleness)
    Health: 12 (Vitality + Strength mod.)
    Courage: 4 (+1 for Man)
    Renown: 5
    Gear: Longsword, shortbow, 20 arrows, chainmail, large shield, war-horse, blanket, travel rations (1 week), saddle and tack.

Éodred is the son of Folcoer and Landwyn, and great-great grandson of King Thengel. His aunt thrice removed is Éowyn Princess of Ithilien and his uncle thrice removed is Éomer King of Rohan. Éodred's grandfather, Folcwine, died alongside Théodred in the First Battle of the Fords of Isen during the War of the Ring.

As a youngster, Éodred spent many days with Faramir and Éowyn at Emyn Arnen in Ithilien. He is a close friend with the royal couple and their eldest son Théoden. In fact, Éowyn took such an interest in Éodred's upbringing that she insisted upon teaching him proper manners when dealing with ladyfolk. Word had spread to "Auntie" Éowyn that Éodred was not only a charmer, but secretly held numerous lady companions in both Gondor and Rohan at once. This would not do. Éodred still flinches whenever his great aunt raises her hand to his ear.

Although Éodred is a noble by birth, he has never been contented with a life of idleness and comfort. Befitting the memory of his forefathers, Éodred has taken up the warrior's path, and serves in the Honour Guard of King Éomer. He is the youngest Man to ever hold such a position, having earned it through numerous campaigns against the surviving Orcs and other servants of the Shadow that linger still on the borders of Rohan and Gondor.

Narrator Creation Notes: Assigned 1 advancement (5 picks) and 5 points of Renown.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ithilraen (Sin. "wandering moon")
    Race: Silvan Elf
    Racial Abilities: The Art, Beast-skill, Comfort, Elven Form, Elven-sense, Elven-sleep, Farsightedness, Ghost-scorn, Lightfootedness, Swift Healing, Woodsy.

Attributes: Bearing 11 (+2)*, Nimbleness 10 (+2), Perception 11 (+2)*, Strength 8 (+1), Vitality 9 (+1), Wits 8 (+1).
    * Favoured Attributes

Reactions: Stamina +1, Swiftness +2, Willpower +2, Wisdom +2*.
    *Favoured Reaction

Order: Noble
    Order Abilities: Courtier, Deference.
    Advancements: 1
    Packages: Elf of Mirkwood, Basic Noble.

Skills: Attribute modifiers included.
    Armed Combat: Blades (Longsword) +5, Ranged Combat: Bows (Shortbow) +6, Climb +2, Debate (Negotiate) +3, Healing (Treat Wounds) +2, Inquire (Converse) +3, Inspire +4, Intimidate (Majesty) +4, Languages: Quenya +2, Silvan +6, Sindarin +7, Westron +6, Lore: History (Elves) +6, Lore: Realm (Mirkwood) +6, Lore: Race (Men) +2, Observe (Sense Power) +6, Persuade (Oratory) +4, Ride (Horse) +4, Stealth (Surveil) +3, Survival (Forests) +3, Track (Orcs) +2.

Edges: Accurate (Shortbow), Ambidextrous, Fair*, Healing Hands, Incorruptible, Keen-eyed*, Rank (1), Swift Recovery*, Valour.
    * Racial edges.

Flaws: Duty (Defend Eryn Lasgalen from servants of the Shadow), Fealty (Thranduil).

Defence: 12 (10 + Nimbleness)
    Health: 10 (Vitality + Strength mod.)
    Courage: 3
    Renown: 5
    Gear: Longsword, shortbow, 30 arrows, riding-horse, blanket, travel rations (1 week), saddle and tack.

Ithilraen is the son of Indrel and Elthring, nobles in the court of Thranduil of Eryn Lasgalen. His birth coincided with the spread of Sauron's shadow within Greenwood the Great in T.A. 1050; and the shadow would follow Ithilraen throughout his life forsooth. Ithilraen's early years were spent in either Thranduil's realm or in Lorien, where his cousin Cirwing dwelt.

Ithilraen was doomed to be a part of the company travelling with Elrond's wife Celebrian to Lorien from Imladris in 2509. Acting as lead scout, Ithilraen descried the Orc attack in the Redhorn Pass too late and Celebrian received a poisoned wound. Elrond held no blame for Ithilraen, but soon after Celebrian departed to the Uttermost West, Ithilraen swore to Galadriel, Thranduil and Elrond to never allow a servant of the Enemy to walk alive between Imladris and Greenwood if he himself still drew breath.

Ithilraen is close friends with Legolas, son of Thranduil, and served as his aide at the Council of Elrond during the War of the Ring. During the final days of the war, Ithilraen fought valiantly alongside his cousin Cirwing, defending the three assaults upon the forest realms. In the last battle, Ithilraen single-handedly slew fifteen orcs to reach Cirwing and rescue him from the foul grip of an Orc chieftain; but Cirwing died in the arms of Ithilraen from a cruel arrow wound.

Ithilraen has travelled extensively during the early part of the Fourth Age, helping Legolas rejuvenate the lands of Ithilien, as well as cleansing Orcs and other fell creatures from the northern vales of the Misty Mountains near Eryn Lasgalen.

Narrator Creation Notes: Assigned 1 advancement (5 picks) and 5 points of Renown.

Last edited by Liquidator Queeg; 10-13-2002 at 03:35 PM.
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

It seems a little odd to have a 2000 yr old character with only one advancement. I guess it's necessary for game balalnce if you want a low-level game that still allows elves of such age.

I was going to ask how a Rider of Rohan learned to speak Sindarin, but I see he spent time in Ithilien. I seem to recall Legolas offering to bring some of his people to Ithilien to help put it right, so I guess Eodred could have learned Sindarin from them.

Their equipment seems to be identical (in description if not appearance). Is that deliberate for your campaign, or coincidence?

Anyway, good characters. You've obviously done some research on their backgrounds.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Whoops!

Originally posted by Sarge
    It seems a little odd to have a 2000 yr old character with only one advancement. I guess it's necessary for game balalnce if you want a low-level game that still allows elves of such age.

I was going to ask how a Rider of Rohan learned to speak Sindarin, but I see he spent time in Ithilien. I seem to recall Legolas offering to bring some of his people to Ithilien to help put it right, so I guess Eodred could have learned Sindarin from them.

Their equipment seems to be identical (in description if not appearance). Is that deliberate for your campaign, or coincidence?

Anyway, good characters. You've obviously done some research on their backgrounds.
    My bad. I actually posted the early versions of the characters. I've given each character 5 advancements. It seemed appropriate given their backgrounds. Oddly enough, I edited the background text once I posted them but forgot to update the actual nuts 'n bolts parts.

I had to "balance" the PCs with 5 advancements each to be fair. But in all honesty, Ithilraen should have 10 or more advancements (IMHO). I didn't want Eodred to be too outclassed right from the get-go though.

Eodred's grandfather Folcwine actually married a Gondorian woman, so the fact that he knows Sindarin isn't too much of a stretch. In fact, if I rememebr my Tolkien lore correctly, King Thengel of Rohan, Eodred's great-great grandfather, married a Gondorian woman named Morwen. It's just a part of Eodred's character that furthers the connections between Gondor and Rohan, which will be a major focus of my chronicle.

The equipment choice was entirely mine. The chronicle kicks off with the PCs attending Mistress Rosie's funeral, and from there they set off for adventure and mystery in Eriador. That's why I gave them both the same basic gear. Plus, they have the Rank edge, so giving them horses wasn't a big concern for me.

Good points, Sarge! Thanks for bringing them up.

Cheers,

Steve
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."