Thread: CODA Advanced Character Creation

Lightbulb CODA Advanced Character Creation

The remarks on the "Not entirely negative review of CODA" thread about the absence of Advanced Character Creation rules (as was in ICON with the 125 DPs) made me think, so I tried to reverse engineer CODA creation rules to see if it was possible.

First, a character is created with 50 attributes points, so this makes 250 picks (we'll consider them all non-favoured). Then we have one developpment package with 5 non professional skills, so 10 picks, another with 20 professional skills plus 5, so 25 picks, and an edge, so 2 picks. Now a species is on average worth 10 to 18 picks, so this gives us a total of 295 or 300 picks (for those who like round figures).

Hence this suggestion for Advanced Character Creation :

- The player must choose between 11 and 14 different skills or group skills that will be his professional skills.
    - He then spend 300 picks between his attributes (considered all non-favoured, except for PSI), skills, edges and flaws (amongst wich some species abilities).
    - He spends INT*2 additional picks in species specifics skills (Culture, History, World Knowledges, Language, etc)
    - He then proceeds to choose his two favoured attributes and reactions, calculate his reaction scores, etc...

Now the next phase would be to create a "Professional abilites toolkit". Many professional abilities look alike (being able to roll 3D6 and choose the best 2 for a professional skill, being able to re-roll a test one per game, being able to add an affinity bonus of half another skill, being able to ignore certain penalities for some skills, being able to use the skills from a group untrained), so the finishing touch would be to be able to pick 9 of them from such a toolkit, and assemble them into a professional tree.

Comments and suggestions welcome.
    I'm currently trying to build this toolkit, but if somebody already did, don't hesitate to share it if you want.
    (BTW, the purpose of this thread is to try to create rules for advanced character creation, not to discuss if it's appropriate in CODA and so on. I don't know if I'll ever use these rules myself, but I'm trying to create them if only to see how well it can be done in CODA)

To Moderators : If this violates some copyrighted information, please warn me so I could edit this post accordingly. Thanks

Yoohoo!! 900th post!
    Last edited by C5; 10-16-2002 at 06:58 AM.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Sorry C5, looks like your advanced character creation method is way too advanced for us .
    Actually, kidding apart, I find it rather interesting. However, I'd have tried to separate every ... err ... module so to say. Like, the childhood package is worth whatever, the early life package is worth whatever else, and so on.
    As a matter of fact, something I'd find even more useful would rather be a "How do we design a Profession" guide .
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Originally posted by Calcoran
    As a matter of fact, something I'd find even more useful would rather be a "How do we design a Profession" guide .

I agree, a 'how to' would be very useful and would make great reading. No if I could just get my PB and NG back from one of my players I could help! grumble grumble.

Good ideas though C5. I will ponder what you have written.
    Evil is Good. Good is Evil.
    Beware of Dark Teddy, Dark Lord of the Fuzz.

Originally posted by Calcoran
    Actually, kidding apart, I find it rather interesting. However, I'd have tried to separate every ... err ... module so to say. Like, the childhood package is worth whatever, the early life package is worth whatever else, and so on.
    Well this is already stated in the PG, actually. One can choose 5 skills picks for the early life package, and 20 for the other package (although actually, I noticed since it's worth 25 picks instead of 20).
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett