Thread: [ICON] Abstract Resistance Cells

[ICON] Abstract Resistance Cells

I've recently downloaded the Cardassian netbook (quite a nifty bit of work there! Kudos to the creators!) and naturally developed a hankering for some Iron-fisted Spoonhead campaigning.
    One of the things I've been tinkering with is an abstract system of gaming the Resistance (be it Bajoran vs. Cardassian, Maquis vs. Cardassian, Betazoid vs. Dominion, or Cardassian vs. Dominion, or something else all together.)

One of the mechanics I'm experimenting with would involve designing each Resistance Cell as a sort of "composite character" with skills, Edges, and Advantages just like a normal individual character. The Cell could be based off of the Species Template for the occupied species, or it could be generated as a point-bought unique Cell. Cell Template attributes and skills could then be used for Task Number rolls or opposed rolls against the Occupier's Template. This is for broad, general results, of course. Sort of a mass combat type system for quick resolution. Naturally, really juicy raids and such could be played out. But not EVERY operation involves the PC's or needs detailed role-playing.

So, here's what I've jotted down so far:

FITNESS: describes the physical resources of the Cell
    Strength: measures offensive firepower. Ability to inflict casualties. How well armed the group is.
    Vitality: measures the durability of the Cell. Actual membership, number of fighters, but also how "hardened" their resources are. Safe houses, cavern shelters, etc.

COORDINATION: describes the mobility and flexibility of the Cell.
    DEXTERITY: Freedom of movement, ability to blend into crowds, get members into the right locations, escape routes, etc.
    REACTION: measures how quickly the Cell can mobilize to act on information or respond to threats/opportunities.

INTELLECT: describes the leadership skill and planning resources of the cell.
    LOGIC: Strategic Expertise, Logistics ('natch!), Analysis etc.
    PERCEPTION: Intelligence gathering resources, informants, spies, lookouts, communications monitoring, etc.

PRESENCE; describes the social resources and dedication of the Cell.
    WILLPOWER: Resistance to interrogation or Intimidation. Ability to withstand hardships like cold, hunger, constant bombardment, resistance to PsyOps and other manipulations.
    EMPATHY: Popular support, recruiting, Hearts & Minds winning, propaganda campaigns, etc.

PSI: if any, Range indicates how far the "reach" of the Cell's psionic abilities extends. Focus would be the precision of the Cell's psionic efforts.

I think the best approach would be to point buy each Cell, that way the GM can determine how many points the Cell has available and gauge the relative threat level.

Occupying forces would be bought/designed in a similar fashion.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

DUNE houses

This is a lot like how the ICON DUNE game statted out minor house strengths. That is, your idea works. Let me look up how they did it: Hrm... upon checking, looks like I was wrong. They had attributes like "status", "wealth", "influence" and "security", each with two edges.

In any case, I think your idea works. It's a bit like how 7th Sea had ship-to-ship interaction mechanics work the same way, with the same attribute names, as personal combat.

Cool idea

I like the format. Let me know how well it works in play if you use it. I will give it a go in my gane if the chance arises and do the same. Good thinking old bean.

Live long and play with marbles.
    I think, therefore I...<BELLLLCCCHH> oops. ^_^

Thumbs up

I LOVE the House System for Dune and would suggest making the "Cell" template more similar to that (to give it the feel of an organization rather than a person or character). In a sense it just means playing with the semantics, but there was also some power-play interaction that caused these House "stats" to fluctuate. You could include stats like "Resources" to indicate the cell's access to equipment, "Visibility" for how secretive or open the organization is, etc, etc. It shouldn't take the place of your player's stats for a large fight or anything (and mass combat rules always felt out of place in ST for me) but it should give them an indication of how powerful their cell is and how it can help them.