Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Hey kids, guess what time it is!

Thanks for answering Jesse, it's nice to see you here!!

As far as scheduling: Like Doug said, it's not like we'd deliberately try to drive ourselves out of business. We have no desire to shoot a game line in the foot at the outset (unlike certain other companies for whom I have worked in the past).
    Personnally I don't doubt it. It's just that... well... since info on the Dec site was scarce to say the least, I believe we all wondered what the heck was going on after some time...

Where books go after I finish finagling the text is out of my hands.
    When it comes to TPTB I believe it's no use to tell them to hurry

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Have you guys at Decipher try to find out what wrong with the printers problems.

That all I ask to know.

So far I plan to use my TNG Lug Screen until the new screen comes out.

I don't know if I said it here or on #TrekRPG, that anything beyond the final layout is out of the control of the line developer (or editor-in-chief of any publishing company).

From there on, it depends of the CFO, the production manager, the distribution manager, and several other big boys along the chain. Jesse's not to blame, for sure: he manages his authors, organizes the main work plan, and when he gets all those writings the graphic department makes designs and layouts, and delivers the job done. That's it.

Publishing is a complicated business. Even with many more technological advances involved, other industries, like, dunno, styrofoam pieces and trays, would be simpler to manage than a publishing house.

Most people also ignore the tiny fact that printing costs large sums of money, especially where trading card games are involved. Decipher has to juggle its finances carefully in order to stay afloat while it waits for product to sell well enough to generate a profit. One slow seller can set a company's product schedule back several months... I'm minded of TSR's Spellfire and how it completely derailed any attempt they made that year to release new product on time. TSR pressed on anyway, which lead to their financial problems and eventual dissolution under a certain Mr. Adkinson and company.

I for one prefer that Decipher continue to practice good business as they have for years, and remain in operation. When Doug and Jesse tell us something is out of their control, they are speaking about their own hand in the process. There are decisions being made, as Bashir pointed out, at many levels higher up... not the least of which probably involves the implementation of last-minute changes from Viacom. As for Capt. Chris, I have to wonder. I play with a group that finds the existing two books thoroughly playable on their own, quite a welcome thing. We'll all buy the next several releases when they finally hit the shelves because we know they'll expand upon an already terrific game.

Anyone who thinks they need one supplement or another in order to play Trek is, in my opinion, depriving themselves of an opportunity. I need nothing more than the books, my imagination, and the plentiful body of episodes and films that already exists. Want more than the current starship rules? Download "Spacedock" from this website and piece together a set of conversions. There is more Trek source material available, both online and published, than for any other game setting ever conceived. If anyone is unable to tap into all that and come up with a interesting and coherent game, I would be amazed.

Yes it is unfortunate that we've yet to see all the wonderful stuff which Ross, Don, Jesse and company have written for us. However, it does neither us nor them any good to complain about it continually. They've heard are complaints, are aware of our issues, and have patiently answered those questions they can. There are limis to what they can reveal, under their non-disclosure agreements, and part of that is information pertaining to the finances and business practices of Decipher and those with whom Decipher does business. No one has made excuses for the delays and, while the reasons may be less than ideal, at least they have striven to give us those reasons they know and can.

Thank you, Doug and Jesse, and know that at least a few of us understand and sympathize. Kudos on all you've accomplished thus far, keep up the good work and don't gloat too much when all the naysayers eat their words eventually.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

I was not trying to get anyone mad at me.

If the new stuff comes out around the holidays, no ptoblem.

I will just ask for them from my family .

I have found ways to use my Lug Trek Books.

So far they work, so what if it take me more time convert the old stuff.

I just wish people would stop and wait to see what happen next.

By the time the new books come out everyone will be happy.

I suppose I should add that I can understand the frustrationg of saying "Where are my books?!?" I'd like to have the books, too. I like having books on my shelf. Or when I'm running a game, for that matter. "What did I write for that? Eh? That rule sucks. We're changing that."

I just don't have any more information about the process. I know that I've delivered the manuscripts for all the stuff I'm supposed to have done. From there, it goes off to Layout and Printing Land, which is a mystery to me.

I'm sure that as soon as we have concrete information, Doug will be along to pass it out with joy and flower petals and things. Sorry for the wait.

Hang in there, folks! I'm still doing work, so yes, we're still making books, and we still plan to release them.

Why should we then bother?

Originally posted by RaconteurX

... As for Capt. Chris, I have to wonder. I play with a group that finds the existing two books thoroughly playable on their own, quite a welcome thing. We'll all buy the next several releases when they finally hit the shelves because we know they'll expand upon an already terrific game.

Anyone who thinks they need one supplement or another in order to play Trek is, in my opinion, depriving themselves of an opportunity. I need nothing more than the books, my imagination, and the plentiful body of episodes and films that already exists. Want more than the current starship rules? Download "Spacedock" from this website and piece together a set of conversions. There is more Trek source material available, both online and published, than for any other game setting ever conceived. If anyone is unable to tap into all that and come up with a interesting and coherent game, I would be amazed.

The question comes down to if I need to convert everything myself, why bother to use their stuff? I have the complete LUG line and a large part of FASA's ST stuff.

Look my group was looking to add another game to our play list. I had bought the NG and PG and suggested it. They looked at it said it looked pretty good but wanted to see more before laying down money for it. One book we all really wanted to see is the starship book but the other were important too. We knew we were not going to start another game until November so we decided to see how the support was before commiting to the game. Needless to say we have not seen anything so the group decided to play something else than to wait for Decipher to put out their books.

Yes I could convert material as you said but why should I have too? I could also use my imagination and create my own rules system or just use my LUG books or free downloads. Since we are all adults in my group, our time is important and we would rather spend it playing than converting stats especially when other systems already have done that.

Decipher needs to prove itself to me (th consumer). I have lots of games to choose from and it needs to show me that it is wise for me to invest money into it.

Now before people go off and say I am bashing Decipher, I am not. Since some who work on the game read these post, I am trying to give some constructive criticism to why is it important to get the game out in a more regular fashion. It has put a bad taste in my players mouth. I would still like to play it but I need players to do it.

I had to first overcome some rumors about why decipher is putting out ST and LOTR. Second they started by putting out a good product which got my player interest enough to say well maybe we will give them a chance. Then the promised books did not come out (it does not matter whos fault it is). This chance for decipher to prove itself then vanished with my other players. They felt if decipher gets its act together then maybe another look in the future might be warrented but we want to play now. So hence the group decided to play another game that already has support we do not wait for, hence saving us prep time and allowing us to play now.

I love Star Trek and I am glad a company is putting out material for it. I want to see them to succeed. I am raising my concern because I am sure others beside my group feel the same way and it will hurt decipher if they cannot improve their producction schedule. I don't think they are lying to me or being deceptive but the truth of the matter is the stuff we want to play the game is not out hence they missed sales, which is now going to a competitor.

If there is one thing I can say about Decipher, they are dedicated to the long term. They care about their employees and their products. And Warren Holland is a terrific businessman. If there's a delay, there's a good reason for it. As has already been pointed out, publishing is expensive and there are a lot of things in the queue—Two Towers CCG, Two Towers Adventure Game, tons of LotR RPG books, tons of Star Trek books. They have to publish things in the correct order so as to have enough money to publish everything.

I'm not discouraged by the lack of Star Trek stuff. I know Jess is working hard and doing a great job. When stuff comes out, you'll all love it.

Well, I for one promise not to say anything more on the subject until one of two things happens:

1. There's an announced update with new information.

2. Another month passes.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Originally posted by RIsaacs
    If there is one thing I can say about Decipher, they are dedicated to the long term. They care about their employees and their products.
    And this I give Decipher "kudos" for. Unlike, say, the Hasbro-ran Wizards, Decipher DOES care. I daresay that if Wizards had the ability to be as interactive and responsive to the fan base as Decipher, they'd be in a LOT better shape than they are now.

That isn't going to happen as long as Hasbro's bean counters keep imposing "brilliant" management strategies like firing veteran employees (some with nearly 30 years worth of experience with the product), forcing the release of buggy support software and doing NOTHING to fix it in a timely manner, etc, etc, etc.

Now, again, I have to point out that this isn't a shot at the people at WIZARDS...the people in that division are good people, and obviously dedicated to doing a good job for gamers. They're just saddled with upper management that: 1. doesn't understand the RPG market (and, frankly, doesn't seem to care) 2. doesn't appear to understand good business sense (as it relates to RPG design and publishing...which is a LOT different than board games or toymaking).
    Deo Vindice!

Originally posted by First of Two
    I for one promise not to say anything more on the subject until one of two things happens...
    I for one would prefer you stick to just the first, as the second contributes nothing save a great deal of wasted bandwidth for all involved. A quarterly rehash is probably sufficient (and welcome).
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Well, for what it's worth...

I did the near unthinkable (shoulder check,shoulder check...leans in)...I posted the question on their boards.

They kinda' ignored the question until others responded (it started to look like "Conspiracy Theory"...thank you Doug, couldn't sum it up better).

They say the The Starfleet Ops manual is 'At the printers'...so it's just matter of time...or a bat, one of the two

(Actually it not like "Conspiracy Theory", it more like a bad monster/horror movie [appropriate for today/tommorow]: "Don't go to the Printers..."...just a silly thought)
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

poster

poster