Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hey kids, guess what time it is!

(this was a general "you", as in "you all people from Decipher" ... but hush, some around here don't like general "you"es )

Oh my, this is getting serious, so you're admitting that you've been slacking off for two and a half months now!

Edit: Errr ... if this actually brings up bad memories, I apologize.
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Really?

Originally posted by RIsaacs

Actually, I didn't do anything. I haven't worked for Decipher since August 5th.
    No? Then what are you up to these days...and does it take place anywhere in the NYC area?

Adam D.

AndorMan
    I'm in an Andor State of Mind

Dude!

I've been looking for you! I can hop the N R or W right into Chinatown. I've already been to the Village twice.

I love NY!

Since you asked, I'll tell you.

Since August 5th, I moved from the DC area to NYC (Brooklyn, to be precise). I grew up in this neighborhood and I'm thrilled to be back.

I've been looking for a job here in the NY market, either as a technical writer or editor. I'm pretty much out of the professional game designer scene since Decipher and I parted ways. There aren't any pen-and-paper RPG companies in the NY area (though I'm sure Zev at Z-man games would protest), so I don't really have any options here. And, mores the point, few can afford me.

I've considered continuing to generate content for the Coda system, but really can't work up much enthusiasm. They haven't contacted me for freelance work, and I can't seem to find the time to write downloads for this site.

So there you have it. =)

Originally posted by RIsaacs
    Sending something to the printer isn't the same as telling the printer to actually print.
    Sending something to the printer isn't like dusting crops boy! Use the wrong type set or offset the wrong page and that will end you print run real quick! Sorry couldn't resist

Seriously, where have I Been what happened that you left Decipher Ross?

And besides ther being no game companies around here its tough to find a game store! I only know of a handful here on the island and 2 of them are WOTC Stores

Oh and Welcome to NY

Karg

I think that the Ensign from the other thread was asking if Decipher was go to make any other generes using the CODA system. Not when was the next itme to come out.. If i am rehashing.. excuse me..
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

Let me put it this way:

You guys think THIS is unresponsive, try getting anything out of Wizards...I'm one of the unfortunates who bought their Etools d20 Character Generation program, and have had to suffer from a buggy prog with virtually NO customer support from the "publisher"...the last news was that the "patch" was finished, but they refuse to post it on their site, or even tell us anything about its status.

The people complaining here have NO idea how bad things COULD be...
    Deo Vindice!

Red face My apologies

I have to apologize for accidentally beating a dead horse. After these boards moved to a new server, I was still trying to get the old URL to work. I thought that the upgrade was still going on, and didn't realize my mistake until after I accessed the new URL through the TrekRPG site.

Having said this, I wish they would hurry up with the narrator's screen and other stuff.
    They keep telling me that the beat's going to get me, so I'm avoiding the beat at all costs!!

Exclamation

Originally posted by StyroFoam Man
    I think Dec is lying. No one would wait that long to finish a job.
    Careful. I think there are better ways to express yourself than this tact (or lack thereof). At the very least refrain from calling one of our contributors and moderators--on his own time--a liar by virtue of association (Doug).
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

The cost of delay

As well as I am aware of delays sometimes cannot be helped, this delay has hampered my playing the game and convincing the other gamers in my group to try it.

I bought the game with the expectation of certain products coming out at certain pace. I was trying to line up my players to try it and start a campaign sometime this November.

One of the books the group felt was important to have is the Starship book. We saw the product list and planned accordingly to give it a possible go.

Well with all the delays and the fact the Narrators screen is still not out and still unsure dates of any arrival times for the books, we decided to play something else. Since my group is all adults and have some amount of money to spend on books Decipher has lost the sales of at least 2-3 PG possibly more by my fellow gamers as the money is now going to another game. It will probably be at least a year or two before the idea of playing using the coda rules will come up again.

This is because of the new system we will be playing and investing in and the fact I have all the LUG books we could always play that and not need to use Coda. We were ready to give it a try but time ran out . Which is sad because I think the coda rules have real potential nut my group wanted to see how it was going to be supported before laying out money for it.

Now realize I am not trying to bash Decipher, they are new at this but the delay has cost them some potential buyers. So instead of them having me and my gaming group buy the books they will only have me. I also now have to make the decision is it worth buying them since it does not look like I will have a group to play with.

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Careful. I think there are better ways to express yourself than this tact (or lack thereof). At the very least refrain from calling one of our contributors and moderators--on his own time--a liar by virtue of association (Doug).
    Yeah..Doug gets enough of that crap from bloke

Oh sorry...said the name of the evil one! Now he might appear!

Allen

Informal poll time...

Hands up, all those business owners who would accept "circumstances beyond our control" from your contracted supplier for three months without further explanation.

Hands up, all those business owners who would INSIST on a more detailed explanation for the delay, and pass that on to the consumer information department.

It's not a matter of blame. It's a matter of good and bad business practices.

At least, that's my opinion.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Hands up, all those business owners who would INSIST on a more detailed explanation for the delay, and pass that on to the consumer information department.
    Count me on

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Perrryyy Guest
    Originally posted by First of Two
    Informal poll time...

Hands up, all those business owners who would accept "circumstances beyond our control" from your contracted supplier for three months without further explanation.

It's not a matter of blame. It's a matter of good and bad business practices.

At least, that's my opinion.
    /me throws hand up

I'm an independent contractor programmer. My "supplier" is wherever I get labels from (for mass mailings for my clients - political candidates). Of course if my supplier fails to be contacted about my needs, I usually don't have to go far to find the culprit (usually no further than the mirror in my room).

Insist on an explanation for the delay? Yep. Again since I'm my only employee, I don't usually have to go far to find the weak link in the chain of command. I'd hate to have to chew myself out!
    Being your own customer info department can be a mixed blessing, particularly when your computer goes up in smoke!

Hey Ross: Is your email still the same? I sent a message recently but didn't hear anything back. Still would like to have you do some writing, but that's hard when I can't get an email through!

As far as scheduling: Like Doug said, it's not like we'd deliberately try to drive ourselves out of business. We have no desire to shoot a game line in the foot at the outset (unlike certain other companies for whom I have worked in the past).

I know that development's on schedule right now. Where books go after I finish finagling the text is out of my hands.