Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Common Enemy

Originally posted by Capt.Hunter
    Good point. In fact, given the radical reworking the "Queen Bug" did in the followup ep with the Russian submarine, they might even be capable of joining hundreds of themselves together into a "starship". With only limited power, they wouldn't be warp-capable, but could certainly manage low impulse.

Since they form out of whatever metals they consume, you'd better hope they never infect a Planet-Killer: neutronium hull anyone?
    Have you seen the season 5 opener episode...if you haven't wait till you see the bug they breed in the engine room of a gou'ald mothership...nasty...

Has anybody heard, read, or otherwise come into contact with something called 'the grey goo problem' with self replicating nanotech? Essentially, the nanotech reproduces itself out of control until it converts the entire biosphere into grey goo. I've been thinking about a version of this as an episode. Similar in some respects to the replicators. I first read about it in a sci-fi novel entitled 'Bloom'. I also saw a sidebar in a Scientific American. Just throwing ideas out there.
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

Okay, that all seems pretty interesting and scary. But what's the point of using them in a game if they are invincible?
    Jesus saves... and takes half damage.
    --+
    (www.btvs-rpg.net)

The point is they aren't invincible - creative plans can always defeat them. The trick is finding the "stupid plan" to do the job - in Stargate, it has always been less advanced approaches that have stopped them. The Asgard were too evolved to "think down" to the level of plans that didn't involve advanced technology, and so got their asses kicked until they asked the humans for help:

Jackson: Wait, you're saying what you need is advice from someone dumber than you are?!

O'Neill: You may have come to the right place...
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

Originally posted by Anarchy Bob
    Okay, that all seems pretty interesting and scary. But what's the point of using them in a game if they are invincible?
    The point is that I want an enemy that the PCs can't beat by conventional means. Phasers don't work, most of the computers don't work...its up to them to use their brains and ingenuity to get out the fine mess they got themselves into.

Okay then.. What does work? That's the question i've been pondering regarding this thread.

It seems that even self-destructing your ship would only delay their take-over of Federation space.

(I'm not shooting down the ideas, i'm just curious. Maybe there's something obivous i've overlooked.)
    Jesus saves... and takes half damage.
    --+
    (www.btvs-rpg.net)

Originally posted by Anarchy Bob
    Okay then.. What does work? That's the question i've been pondering regarding this thread.

It seems that even self-destructing your ship would only delay their take-over of Federation space.

(I'm not shooting down the ideas, i'm just curious. Maybe there's something obivous i've overlooked.)
    Isn't that the same situation with the Borg?

What I want is a new threat that stares the PCs in the face. They can't defeat them utterly and next time it might not be so easy to win.

Ultimately, the story arc may lead the PCs to discovery the Maker of the first replicators...and who knows where it will go from there.

When they do find the moron who first created these little monsters, a little time in a sanatarium would probably be in order!

Originally posted by Capt.Hunter
    The point is they aren't invincible - creative plans can always defeat them. The trick is finding the "stupid plan" to do the job - in Stargate, it has always been less advanced approaches that have stopped them. The Asgard were too evolved to "think down" to the level of plans that didn't involve advanced technology, and so got their asses kicked until they asked the humans for help:

Jackson: Wait, you're saying what you need is advice from someone dumber than you are?!

O'Neill: You may have come to the right place...
    My plan is to hit them with a rock. That should be low tech enough.
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

It'd better be a big rock...

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

You know, an anvil could do the trick as well...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Just had a thought - the Replicators undoubtedly have whole planets that they've taken over. In the SG-1 universe, Asgard suicide squads could gate to those worlds, then quickly dial out to that planet orbiting the black hole, causing the Replicator planets to eventually get sucked in...

Originally posted by C5
    You know, an anvil could do the trick as well...
    Not only primative, but very Warner Brothers too...