Thread: [CODA] New systems, edges, flaws

Lightbulb [CODA] New systems, edges, flaws

New Flaw: Limited Payload
    The ship is not built for sustained combat. Beam weapons are powered by capacitors that have to be recharged now and than, missile weapons are carried only in limited number, etc.
    This flaw is intended for the smallest ships (Size 1 and 2) only, but could be used for larger ships that are not expected to see much (if any) combat or operate very close to a resupply facility.
    Effect: At the end of each round that a weapon system with this flaw is used make a reliability check (TN 8). If you fail the check the weapon in question can't be used until 'recharged' by another starship or at a starbase. Limited Payload can be take twice, once for Beam Weapons and once for Missile Weapons.

New Edge: Regenerative Shields
    The most advanced shields available transfer part of the energy they absorb into the shield grid, making them much more difficult tp wear down.
    Prerequisite: Only ships built after 2373 can be equiped with regenerative shields.
    Effect: Reduce the loss of shield strength from each attack by 1, i.e. complete success = 0, superior success = -1, extraordinary success = -2.

New Tactical System: Laser Weapons
    For laser weapons (and other early beam weapons) use the Beam Weapon Costs (p.140) with these changes:
    Subtract 100 from the availability dates, reduce minimum size by 1.
    Calculate Beam Penetration normaly, but set medium range damage to 0, i.e. lasers can only be used at point-blank and short ranges. Calculate Reliability as usual.

Comments - as always - more than welcome.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    They look good.

Don't forget your suggestion for "reinforced hull," and euson1's "Underpowered" flaw.

Reinforced Hull
    The ship has an extra thick or superdense hull that provides protection even when the shields are down.

Effect: The ship receives a +1 to its threshold rating, which remains in effect even if the shields are down.

Underpowered
    A vessel or class with this flaw suffers from a lack of power to distribute to all of its essential system in combat or high-stress situations.

Effect: In the first instance of transferring power, the engineer must intentionally cause two points of damage to one system (or, alternatively, one point of damage to two systems) to temporarily "upgrade" the performance of another system. All subsequent incidents of transferring power proceed normally until both points of initial damage is repaired. All other rules for transferring power apply normally.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Alternative Charts for Lasers

Inspired by Lancer's writeup, here's what I came up with for Laser systems.

Class....Cost....Off. Value....Min. Size....Availability
    Class 1...1............1................ - ..............2063
    Class 2...1............2................ - ..............2120
    Class 3...2............3................ 2 ..............2125
    Class 4...3............4................ 4 ..............2140
    Class 5...4............5................ 3 ..............2156
    Class 6...4............6................ 4 ..............2158
    Class 7...5............7................ 3 ..............2160
    Class 8...5............8................ 4 ..............2185
    Class 9...6............9................ 5 ..............2220

Total Off. Numbers.......Laser Penetration
    4 or less............................2/2/0/0/0
    5-9....................................3/2/0/0/0
    10-14................................3/3/0/0/0
    15-24................................4/4/0/0/0
    25-34................................5/4/0/0/0
    35-44................................5/5/0/0/0
    45-59................................6/6/0/0/0
    60-74................................7/6/0/0/0
    75-89................................7/7/0/0/0
    90-109..............................8/8/0/0/0
    110 and up.......................9/8/0/0/0

I changed Type to Class, just for the sake of difference, and tried to fit the availability dates around significant events in Earth/Federation history.

On the Laser Penetration chart, I actually took the second and third numbers of the beam penetration column and used those for the point blank and short range penetration values.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Re: Alternative Charts for Lasers

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    On the Laser Penetration chart, I actually took the second and third numbers of the beam penetration column and used those for the point blank and short range penetration values.
    That's so close to some changes I have been thinking about that I will just take your penetration rules for my game instead.

I got one...

New "Flaw" Refit:
    The ship gets/had 'downtime' to have itself 'remade'/expanded'

Effect: The ship gains 'bonus space' for cargo, weapons, warp-drive, and other things. The 'downside' is the 'downtime'-thing:

Minor Refit: (change the carpets, move a few walls...) 1-4 months, crews transfered to 'temp. light duty' (Space Stations, Satellites, Starbases, Colonies, Shuttle/Runabout Piloting[re: 'Taxiing'], and so...)

Major Reft: (New Warp Core, New Warp Nacelles, New, New New) 5-12 months...maybe longer (if it take more then a year-and-a-half, I'd by temped to scrap the thing...depending on circumstances). Crews are transfered to 'temp. regular duty' on another ship (a 'loner' if you will). The ship is usually smaller than the ship being refit, and most times 'older' in some way ("I didn't think they made though anymore..." "They don't...KID GLOVES PEOPLE!!!")

How's that?
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Re: I got one...

Originally posted by Modem
    New "Flaw" Refit:
    The ship gets/had 'downtime' to have itself 'remade'/expanded'

Effect: The ship gains 'bonus space' for cargo, weapons, warp-drive, and other things. The 'downside' is the 'downtime'-thing:

Minor Refit: (change the carpets, move a few walls...) 1-4 months, crews transfered to 'temp. light duty' (Space Stations, Satellites, Starbases, Colonies, Shuttle/Runabout Piloting[re: 'Taxiing'], and so...)

Major Reft: (New Warp Core, New Warp Nacelles, New, New New) 5-12 months...maybe longer (if it take more then a year-and-a-half, I'd by temped to scrap the thing...depending on circumstances). Crews are transfered to 'temp. regular duty' on another ship (a 'loner' if you will). The ship is usually smaller than the ship being refit, and most times 'older' in some way ("I didn't think they made though anymore..." "They don't...KID GLOVES PEOPLE!!!")

How's that?
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but what are the game mechanic benefit/penalties to this? And how, exactly is this a flaw?

Also, if you recall STTMP, much of the crew didn't get reassigned when the Enterprise went into spacedock for her refit. Sulu, Checkov, Uhura and Scotty remained aboard to take part in the upgrades. Kirk was promoted, and wasn't supposed to be coming back to the Enterprise (since he was Chief of Starfleet Operation at the time of the movie). Spock and McCoy had both retired for various reasons. So, your description of a major refit is innacurate, IMO.
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

Ah, but...

Sulu, Checkov, Uhura and Scotty were 're-assigned' to Spacedock to oversee the refit.

I imagine that other Connies were in SD as well, so those four probably went 'ship-to-ship' helping other refits (as well as Grissoms [sp?], and Excelsior was probably there somewhere...no way Scotty could have learned so much in a matter of days/weeks on that ship).

Just some thoughts
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Re: Ah, but...

Originally posted by Modem
    Sulu, Checkov, Uhura and Scotty were 're-assigned' to Spacedock to oversee the refit.

I imagine that other Connies were in SD as well, so those four probably went 'ship-to-ship' helping other refits (as well as Grissoms [sp?], and Excelsior was probably there somewhere...no way Scotty could have learned so much in a matter of days/weeks on that ship).

Just some thoughts
    Were they? Show me the on-screen evidence that they were (because that's what counts).
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

you know one thing that I don't see alot of in Star Trek, mechanical bulkheads.

Sea Tyger you know what I'm talking about right?

In modern warships, during General Quarters, they have sealable doors, sectionaling off the ship. Thus if they start taking on water, it doesn't start spreading to the rest of the ship.

Now, granted in star trek you have force fields, but those require massive amounts of energy. So what have you all?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One