Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars

Star Wars

Was thinking of running a Star Wars Game and was wondering what systems people have used, and how it turned out?

Doesn't just have to be WEG, or D20.

Let me know your thoughts.

Played a Star Wars series using Spacemaster. It was the best.
    Kronok

I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly because we are Jem’Hadar. Remember, victory is life.

"The D20 System is the heart of the classic fantasy roleplaying experience, the game that has taught us all how to be munchkins. There is no way we could do it with any other system."

I used WEG's d6 for years, then made the switch to WotC's d20. It works for my and my players. I've never had the need to create my own system.

Lately, however, I've really been thinking about a Coda Star Wars...I just don't have the time to really work on it.

WEG was the most well balanced system to run Star Wars in.

D20 gives you more classes to work from.

Gurps is good, but not on the power scale that Jedi Are.

those are the only systems I have run Star Wars in.
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

One problem with D6 Star Wars that I've run into in every game I've played with it... Jedi characters go through three stages.

1) I feel like a 1st level D&D magic user who can only cast read magic.

2) I'm feeling useful, but don't expect me to do too much at one (very short phase)

3) 18,000 stormtroopers? I'll take them with one hand tied behind my back!
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

One problem with D6 Star Wars that I've run into in every game I've played with it... Jedi characters go through three stages.

1) I feel like a 1st level D&D magic user who can only cast read magic.

2) I'm feeling useful, but don't expect me to do too much at one (very short phase)

3) 18,000 stormtroopers? I'll take them with one hand tied behind my back!
    Could not agree more.. with the exception of the 2.. that never lasts more than a second..
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

We played WEG d6 Star Wars for quite a while. What became really apparent to my players (early on) was if you weren't a Jedi you weren't work squat to the group. While characters advanced in skills and got better through time, the jedi exploded exponentially - one minute they were weaklings the next they were Stormtrooper shreading machines. Blame "Lightsaber Combat", the most broken Force Skill out there...

So after awhile I decided to try Star Wars d20. Now I bought the d20 rulebook but never intended to play it (I was using it as a d6 resource). Back then I was biased against anything d20 other than Dnd3e. To my surprise not only was SWd20 more balanced but it was fun and really fit the mood and feel of Star Wars... honestly more than d6 WEG did. Yeah, sure it had Levels and stuff but the Wound/Vitality point system matched what we saw in the movies. Lightsaber combats were especially good with d20 (going on for many rounds like they did in the movies, not ending in one or two swipes like in d6).

In short, barring using my own system (and I have been toying with Unisystem, being the Buffy RPG goober that I am right now), d20 is the best for Star Wars.

The big IMHO disclaimer here...
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

The problem with Jedi ...

... from a gaming perspective, is that they are unbalanced. That's fine for a movie, where the screenwriter has complete control of what they do. Their extra abilities make them very formidable, and that's fine within the canon. They travel to planets, typically alone or in pairs, and deal with serious problems. At higher power levels, they don't need a team, and at lower power levels, they travel with their Master, who is at a higher power level.

I think the only workable solution is to choose carefully what players you allow to play a Jedi Knight. The player has to be responsible enough to handle the power, AND to allow the other players their chance to shine. And, of course, manage the player carefully with Dark Side points (or whatever mechanic is used). That power isn't free; it requires greater self-discipline from the Jedi character than might be required from other characters -- and the gamemaster shouldn't be afraid to impose that self-discipline if the player hasn't got it.

I think this would be true in any system that accurately models what we've seen Jedi do in the films (I think d20 underpowers them somewhat).

Allways used D6..... It's a fast resolution system and that is how Star Wars fight should be Fast, Not entire sessions spent on 1 battle.

As far as Jedi go, Insist on them playing like Paladins, and allways keep them thinking about thier actions and the reprecussions.

Sure it might drive the player insane but it helps to keep the Jedi in Check.

BTW there are Tactics for Stormtroopers can use that Jedi cant deal with, Combined fire is one. Jedi also have problems with grenades, set on short fuses of course. (Deflect That Force Boy)

Karg
    Evil SW Gamemaster and Sith Lord

D20 Jedi are under powered.. but they are on the same playing field as the other characters.

WEG is vastly over powered when it comes to the force... One of the players in my Sith game decided to destroy a star. I put the TN at 100 for all three force groups. one burned dark force point later, the star went nova.. which points to the fact that Vader said "the power to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force."

I am not really hot on the WEG system even thought I am the only one who will run it...

WEG is great for a "low-level" game. But when the campaign goes on too long and the characters get a lot of experience, the system doesn't work as well (too many dice to count). If you want a long-term WEG campaign, be very stingy handing out XP.

I'm putting some serious thought into increasing the number of points needed to increase Force abilities. Maybe if it cost the number of dice squared, it would increase the useful-but-not-overpowered period.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Originally posted by Silverthorne
    D20 Jedi are under powered.. but they are on the same playing field as the other characters.
    Not in my experience (the under-powered part). I found the d20 Force users to be nicely balanced, but still able to kick ass and take names. My personal opinion is that d20 is the way to go for a Star Wars game. It's fast, it's loose, and it was a lot of fun until my GM flaked.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

I have to admit i own almost everything WEG put out, but i did pick up the Revised edition at lunch. I think the D20 version is far slicker looking than WEG, and i like all the art. Mechanics wise i am unsure i will need a bit of time to digest the material.

I'm blaming it all on my wife who last nite mentioned she would be interested in playing Star Wars under D20.

Long before WEG camne out with a game, we played a homebrew that was super fun

These days I am rediscovering the merits of SAGA, I bet it could make a tip-top Star Wars game

Maybe after I am done doing my Star Trek version

Arrow

I play d20 Star Wars. The "bucket o dice" system have never appealed to me. Believe me, I tried.

While the Revised Core Rulebook cleaned up a lot, especially with a much better vehicle combat rules, it still has room for improvement. Thank goodness it is d20. I tend to import rules from other d20 products such as the chase rules from Spycraft Espionage Handbook for most of the chase scenes.

I also experimented like using the Strafe attack action from SEH for use with the blasters in autofire modes, Cover Fire, and Supressive Fire rules mechanics.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer