Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Maquis Sourcebook.

woe is you?

Originally posted by Jabara Eris
    I just downloaded it, and I'm getting the format problems on page six and seven -- despite the fact that all the previous messages on this board appear to indicate that the format problems were fixed! Basically, page seven is blank, and I'm getting a pop-up that says I need to load Japanese Language substitution fonts.

Sigh.

Did I do something horribly, horribly wrong? Oh, woe is me...
    Dont think so... That sounds like the first version. Thats exactly what I got before BrianK fixed it. Doc, you may need to switch back to your original...

DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Perrryyy Guest
    I was getting that with the first version (before we fixed the pic of the BokNor) too.

Well, I'm getting those problems with this version as well.

It's 10:39 MST, Nov. 11, 2002, and I just went to the Yahoo groups site, went to the files section, clicked on the ICON Maquis Sourcebook folder, and opened the file named "Maquis SB.pdf." This causes the file to open with my Adobe Acrobat reader. And when I scroll down to page seven, I get the Japanese popup, and a blank page.

Something, it appears, still hasn't been fixed!
    Voka a Bentel
    (May you walk with the Prophets),

Lt. Jabara Eris
    DS18 Station Counselor, Prylar and All-Around Groovy Guy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ... Let us never forget Bajor's sacrifices under the Cardassian Occupation ...
    ... http://remember-forever.tripod.com ...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grab the one from my URL, Jabara. It works OK.

I can confirm that!

Thanks - great book!
    TK

Question

So is it ready? I've been asked to host it and don't mind doing so, however I don't have time to keep up with multiple iterations.

Don, you could just host the link in the Download section and Dan and I would keep it up to date. What do you think?

Don.

The version on Doc Bashiers link is the most recent version.

That is the final product!

Cheers.
    DanG/Darth Gurden

Is this book still available somewhere? Both the links provided in the messages are now dead.

Thanks.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Can do this the old fashioned way.

I'll email it.

Don. Is it possible that I can put this up on Trek.RPG? And would that be OK for the Psionics sourcebook I am near completion with?
    DanG/Darth Gurden

Let me fix the link... meanwhile, use http://jonasbashir.sevspace.com/files/Maquis_SB.zip. It's surely a DNS problem.
    Insurance is like marriage. You pay and pay but you never get anything back. - Al Bundy

Originally posted by Dan Gurden
    Can do this the old fashioned way. I'll email it.

SWEET

I would say more, but I have finished downloading the file from the e-mail. So I am off to read it. Thanks Dan!
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Great work! I have to print this out, this will be a very useful resource for the rest of my games. Next episode is the end of the Dominion War, and I see a lot of this suff coming up in the aftermath era. I only wish I had had this earlier!

I'm also curious to compare your versions of Chacotay, Tuvok, and Seska with Evan Van Eyk's versions in his Voyager sourcebook.

Originally posted by Diamond
    I'm also curious to compare your versions of Chacotay, Tuvok, and Seska with Evan Van Eyk's versions in his Voyager sourcebook.
    Thats a good point... I dont think I had gotten around to checking against Evan's take on the subject.

But do remember that my versions were supposed to be Maquis takes rather than Voyager takes on the characters. Sort of like comparing season 1 DS9 crew with Season 7 DS9 crew.

Although I do admit that I based Tom Riker on the bare physical stats and background of Will Riker, and then stranded the character for a bit, and advanced the Ro Laren template for her Maquis assocuiation from the players guide (but as that book was officially sanctioned by paramount the characters were far more set in stone than those in Evans book, or in fact these characters too... )
    DanG/Darth Gurden

Some thoughts:

I like your very slight changes to the Colonist and Maquis templates from the DS9 core book. I might argue that as you stress the variety of technologies employed by the Maquis that the Maquis template should be allowed to choose any specialization for their Energy Weapon skill.

Missed a closing parenthesis in Frontier Doctor, p. 42.

Definetly like the list of interesting training packages and tours of duty. Future PCs and NPCs will be using them.

I do not like the new "Jury Rig" specalization for systems engineering. It allows a character to effectively perform tasks in ALL the many specalizations of this important skill. But I recognize that juryrigging is important to the feel and theme of the Maquis campaign. I would instead reccomend increasing the target number for non-juryrigged repairs. In other words, ALL repairs in the heat of combat are jury-rigged, but in the Starfleet campaign it is assumed that afterwords engineers and other technicians follow up later and make more permanent, slower repairs. That takes time and resources which is often unavailable to the Maquis.

The Maquis specalization of the Streetwise skill is a very good addition.

On Chakotay's stats, there was a tremendous amount of agreement between your writeup and Evan's. You are slightly more generous and are more detailed in the use of more specalized skills found in sourcebooks. Clearly, you both studied the source materiel thouroughly and came to the same general conclusions, which gives me a high degree of confidence in both your completeness. Sometimes you each enacted certain aspects of the character in different ways (Evan's knowledge: indian traditions skill vrs. your new mediataion: vision quest skill for example) but neither of you missed any aspects.

I like the subtle changes to Ro Laren's stats from "Price of Freedom", clearly she spent some experience points since leaving the Enterprise in TNG, which is very approriate indeed.

Likewise a good take on Tom Riker, although I might quibble that while it's possible he gained such a high skill in Planetary Tactics, I do not remember any evidence of that. Possibly that's from one of the novels instead of an episode?

Very happy to see stats for Cassidy Yates.

Similar comments comparing your version of Tuvok and Seska with Evan's as for Chakotay. In general you are more generous with the character's abilities but both model it well. In general I would lean very slightly towards Evan's stats because I feel the power level compares with the TNG's crew stats more along the lines of how I imagine them.

Some of the adventure seeds are very good indeed. I also appreciated the inclusion of the Bibliography. The thoroughness is appreciated and it's a nice touch to be able to reference the appropriate episodes.