Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The strength of pulse phasers in Coda (Don?)

Question The strength of pulse phasers in Coda (Don?)

Hi all,

After playing for a while with a ship equipped with pulse phasers, it appears to me the weapon is sort of underpowered compared to torpedoes of even classical phasers.

Now I know in the Starships book, there will be some new rules designed for pulse firing, as Don stated a while back.

But in the meantime, we are struck with these rules

I was wondering if some people had designed home rules for pulse firing, and would like to share them - or if Don, you could tell us a bit more concerning this rule? Or if you cannot because of copyright (which I understand!) tell us if the home rules we may come up with seem under- or overpowered in your opinion?

Thanks a lot!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Pulse Phasers aren't so bad, compared to standard phasers. Keep in mind two factors: The minimum size and the space-to-penetration ratio. While they are not so good for large ships (size 7+) pulse phasers are quite good for ships of size 5 or 6. About the only large beam weapon that tops the pulse phaser on a space-to-penetration comparison are the Type VIII phasers.
    While that alone seems to be enough to favor the Type VIII over the pulse phaser the later still have their use, when you combine them with other beam weapons.

Consider this example: You want to build a size 5 ship with a beam penetration of 6/5/5/0/0. Using the Type VIII alone you need five of them for a total space of 25. If you include pulse phasers you can achieve the same penetration with only Type VIII (x3) and Pulse Phaser (x1) for a grand total of 22 spaces used.
    Another example: You want to have a beam penetration of at least 4/3/3/0/0. With Pulse Type I you need to buy one, i.e. 7 spaces. With the other phasers you need to buy at least two, using up at least 8 spaces.

So if you ask me you don't need no house-rules for pulse phasers. They are good enough as they are, if you put them to proper use.

The only thing that invalidates all of the above are the Type II phasers, with their 2:1 space-to-penetration ratio, but AFAIR Don told us some time ago that the starship book will introduce some limiting rules for the number of weapons you can put on any spaceship.

Pulse is now a trait, meaning you can add it to any beam weapon (within restrictions) to up its "punch" at the cost of range.

As for the rest, I direct you to Lancer's comments which are a good explanation of the utility of the current pulse phasers.

Say Don, will the starship book include stats for the ship's in the NG, updated to the new rules?

I know this is completely off-topic, but here's as good as any place to ask you.

Originally posted by Lancer
    Say Don, will the starship book include stats for the ship's in the NG, updated to the new rules?
    Yes. I fought for that and won.

It didn't make much sense (to me) to have to flip through two books if you happened to be using a Galaxy, Intrepid, Defiant, etc. Plus it allowed us to do cool things like put in the Dominion War uprated Galaxy, as an example.

Whow, that was a quick reply Don. Thanks.

have you, by any chance, fought for some guidelines in the new book on how to convert NG ships to the 'Starships' rules, or will that be just a matter of picking one new system instead of an old one?

Originally posted by Lancer
    have you, by any chance, fought for some guidelines in the new book on how to convert NG ships to the 'Starships' rules, or will that be just a matter of picking one new system instead of an old one?
    Somewhere along the way somebody started a rumor that there was a "new system" in "Starships" and that everything would have to be 'converted.' This is not true.

Every ship in the NG created with those rules is fully-compatible with the new starship rules, sans those with corrections. (Like the micro-torpedo.)

There is no need to 'convert' ships to the new system. You are not required to. You do not have to. They will work just fine.

However, with that said, the inclusion of three eras to build starships and something like 300 new systems to build your ships with, plus updated hull and size allotments, many people may elect to rebuild their designs.

This is, at worst, a five minute process.

In short, in answer to your question, there is no conversion document. It isn't necessary.

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    In short, in answer to your question, there is no conversion document. It isn't necessary.
    Great! This is about the best news I had all day.

Now if only that book would finish printing...
    Oh well, I am not complaining, just being on the edge of my seat.

300 new systems and stuff. Sounds Great. More detail is always a good thing for techno-babble freaks. No I am not saying that is a bad thing either. Thanks for the info Don!

Originally posted by Lt Cmdr Matt
    300 new systems and stuff. Sounds Great.
    Since I'm being quoted on my statement of "like 300" I figured I should count. My brief calculations put the total just over 225, not 300.

FYI.

This certainly seems like an interesting and useful book. I look forward to it.

Thanks all for your useful answers - ya gave me food for thought!

In fact I only had space for 2 pulse phaser banks, making the penetration the same as for 2 type VIII. I'll have to redo some of my calculations and see if I can fit another pulse bank in there, during maybe a minor refit. That may up the punch a bit. Or use the Trait idea - hey, I'm using a prototype ship, I can try funky stuff in there

But really really I can't wait for the Starships book!! Looks like it's going to be grand! And it looks like the Ascendant will get a major refit at this time

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    What I personally do is, for the purposes of how Starfleet views their ships and weapon power, ignore penetration ratings in favor of offensive ratings when you're placing systems.

In Starfleet's eyes, pulse phasers are clearly better because of their power (offense) to mass (space) ratio, since they aren't bound by the game mechanic of total weapon penetration.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

ignore penetration ratings in favor of offensive ratings when you're placing systems.
    Huh? I don't think I'm following you... I think you mean to take the process backwards: see the aimed penetration value, and process the corresponding offense value with the adequate weapons?

Did I understand you right...?

I think what Tyger is saying is that Starfleet only looks at the firepower of the weapons to choose from when deciding what to put on a ship or not. They don't have access to the NG, so they don't rate ships for the total penetration value, which is only a device of game rules. Therefore from the Starfleet POV pulse phasers rule!

OTOH I would think new ship designs undergo a long series of simulations to test their combat worthiness. The end result of those simulations and computer models might not be called "total penetration value", but IMHO Starfleet would use something that represents much the same when comming up with proposals for new ship classes.