Thread: Is it possible to sell cargo space?

Question Is it possible to sell cargo space?

Hello all,

I'd need a rules clarification... Thanks for your answer (it doesn't seem to have been asked before...)

p.138 of the NG, it is said 5 more cargo units can be bought at the cost of 1 space (if size > 3).

I was wondering if the reverse was possible? Can I "sell" 5 cargo units to get 1 point of extra space?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

I don't believe so...

The only ways I see in the rules to aquire more space is to "sell" structure points (no more than 25% of structure) in intervals of 5 to increase your space by intervals of 5 OR by acquiring flaws (each flaw grants 5 points of space).

I would say yes, but the loss of cargo units would realistically decrease the the amount of time the vessel could remain in space without resupply. Knowing the operational range of a given starship is far more important than knowing how many cubic meters of cargo it can carry, in my opinion, unless I am playing a merchant game.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

I would say yes, but the loss of cargo units would realistically decrease the the amount of time the vessel could remain in space without resupply.
    Excellent point. As long as there's no official wording, I think it could be allowed it even if it is not specified in the NG (if we can buy space, why not sell it?), with this drawback of course.

Any other opinions? Don, our Dear Starships Authority...?

Thanks all!

No, you can not sell back your starting cargo space. Default cargo space is unsuitable for mounting systems--that's why it's cargo space.
    As long as there's no official wording, I think it could be allowed it even if it is not specified in the NG (if we can buy space, why not sell it?), with this drawback of course.
    If you could sell back cargo space then we would have specified as such in the rules.

Okay Don! Thanks a lot for the answer! I guess we'll have to start selling parts of the hull

Spacedock Commander: "Huh? Why are you returning your auxilliary Deflector?!"
    Captain KillerWhale: "Don't be silly. Why would we need a back-up Deflector? Kirk and Picard could do without, so can I."

The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Even if you can't convert cargo space to 'construction space' you could achieve a similar result by creating a new flaw. Something like:

Limited Cargo Space:
    The ship has less cargo space set aside for spare parts than usual. Increase the difficulty of all repairs by one category (see table 7.13 and 7.14).

See, 5 extra points to go into other systems and a drawback for the ship that's much more 'tangible' than a reduction in some abstract m^3 figure. Use at your own risk.

Lancer is on the right track, but I'd make it even more severe. Ditching cargo space (whoopie!) for additional systems is a large perk. I'd raise all the difficulties by two. I also wouldn't let a vessel smaller than Size 4 take the flaw either...

I think what Lancer had in mind was an increase in TN of +5... one full level of difficulty... rather than a mere +1. Isn't that harsh enough?
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

TN +5 would be more than enough IMO... Personnally I would even make it +3 or +2. I mean, it's for ALL reparations... It's severe IMO.

Thanks for the idea - I may use it in some ships! (Not the Ascendant, which already has Intricate system x2, which adds +8 to the reparation TN of Ops systems).

Originally posted by RaconteurX
    I think what Lancer had in mind was an increase in TN of +5... one full level of difficulty... rather than a mere +1. Isn't that harsh enough?
    Yep, that's what I was thinking, a +5 TN increase. And as it applies to the "on the fly" repairs (Table 7.14) as well, I think it's harsh enough, as it might affect the ship not only after combat, but during combats as well.

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Ditching cargo space (whoopie!) for additional systems is a large perk.
    Yes it is, but OTOH this flaw doesn't allow for that. After all it's merely a flaw that is described as "less cargo space", without any changes to the actual cargo space statistic.

As for not allowing the flaw for ships smaller than size 4; me I would only rule it out for size 1 and 2 ships. But that's just me.
    Might be usefull for small fast scouts and couriers. Put the 5 extra spaces right into a better warp drive and zoooom - get's you where you need to be real fast.

Selling Cargo Space

I have allowed one of my players to sell his excess cargo space. He has a very unique design that only requires 9 units of cargo space (size 3) and a lot more room for systems than CODA allows. I allowed him to purchase space at a cost of cargo.

This is justified by the fact that the ship in question comes from a secret Tal Shiar like service so they might be doingdifferent vessel configurations ect.

Captain Amado

Hm, that's interesting! Did you make solid rules for that? The Ascendant could use some space (darn it, it made her too small, I fear).