Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek characters become inadvertant superheroes

Star Trek characters become inadvertant superheroes

The players in my game are due for a suprise next game. They've just had a grim, serious episode fighting a Klingon raider during the Klingon/Federation conflict. I've been dropping lots of hints and foreshadowing that their next episode is going to be in the Dominion war and it's going to be my usual tightly-plotted, serious political adventure with long-standing repercussions. They're expecting serious and deadly action on an epic scale.

They're wrong.

It's going to be a farce a la TOS's "Shore Leave." Not to worry, the serious epic Dominion War action will happen the next gaming session after that. This is a rare change of pace. The characters - now low-ranking Starfleet officers (relatively fresh from the acadamy) are being transferred to their new deep space assignment, flying by runabout. They're carrying some odds and ends of cargo as a favor to an NPC quartermaster. Just a few bits and pieces that the QM on their new Starship requested be sent by first available transport.

The runabout is forced off of it's course by a strange astrophysics phenomenon which forces them to crashland on a new planet - one that has been discovered, but left alone because of Prime Directive reasons. There's a humanoid culture of 1930's era technology. As the PCs recover from the crash, they're surrounded by HUNDREDS of natives. It seems inevitable that the natives will explore the runabout and learn things they shouldn't. Just when it seems the prime directive will be in shreds, they get help from a native. "Just let me handle things, guv... wonderful Origin, by the way."

The fast-talking native tells the PCs that there's a social class of heroes on this planet which have the right not to be examined, searched, and studied - as long as they follow certain codes. All they have to do is dress in flamboyant costumes, adopt a catchphrase, and fight crime. But they can't use guns or kill bystanders. If they do, they're commonfolk and the planetary government will strip thier spacecraft and study them just like you'd expect. But if they follow the Heroe's code, their home base (the runabout wreck) can only be entered by other heroes or villains.

Superpowers are a plus in this endeavor. Fortunately, the cargo they are carrying has 1 of every piece of civilian equipment that happens to have a write-up in the Price of Freedom and the Player's Guide. This, plus their ingenuety and alien natures (psi powers, for example) will give them the edge they need. for example, if there is the flight Vest, ["you need a catchphrase. How about 'Up up, and I'm outa here'?" Player rolls a culture (human) test. How about "Up up and away!"] and the red "invisibility" suit used by cultural surveyors on primitive planets (and in St:Insurrection). [ "You can be 'the no longer visible person'!" "I'd rather be known as 'the invisible man." "Ohh, good idea."]

Assuming the PCs go along (and they'll have the freedom not to, but if I know these players, it's going to be their cup of tea), they'll have a low-level encounter thwarting a bank robbery. They'll get to know local heroes, like Captain Clever and others who are exceptional but not superpowered (like the Watchmen). They learn the planet is being threatened by "The Dominion Gang" - whose superpowers give them an edge the locals just can't beat. For example, "Alpha Decay" (a Jem Hadar leader) is very tough, doesn't need to eat or sleep, and can go invisible until he suprises his enemies. They are led by the Chamelion, an insidious mastermind who can shapeshift! And others...

The Dominion Gang was originally the crew of a Dominion starship which were delivering a Shapeshifter to someplace he could infeltrate Federation space. But the same astrophysical phenomenon crashed THEM on this planet and they've been forced to use the same code for the same reasons the players have. Desperate to get off of the planet without becoming prisoners of the Federation, the Dominion Gang has a horrific plan to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!

My question to you is this: I would like additional ideas for the Dominion Gang or other similarly-stranded Star Trek aliens. This has to be existing, cannon ST aliens who given the right amount of esperation and ingenuety could set themselves up as quasi-superheroes. This should have the mood of both "Who Watches the Watchmen" and "Mystery Men." Remember, this is NOT ST aliens who planned and trained to use their powers like superheroes/villains (no fair crafting a Vulcan mindlord), but rather ordinary Star Trek characters who manage to seem like superheroes to the backward locals.

And of course some of the locals aren't so backwards... as the local heroes have been fighting a desperate and doomed struggle against the Dominion Gang. "Surplus, surplus, read all about it: Darned-nifty Man defeated by Dominion Gang!"

(shaking head in amazement)

Oh man, that's just so wrong. . . so wrong. . .

I LOVE IT.
    "I didn't understand a single word you said, but I'll fight to the death for your right to confuse me."

Hawkeye Pierce

Thumbs up

Man is this a cool idea... I think I'll have no choice other than borrowing it for when my group reaches the Dominion War.

In fact, I already thought something along those lines, but in no way in such a funny mood (more like one of those sinister Q jokes, where the players find themselves granted with superpowers on a pre-warp planet, where they would eventually discover they are useless for the challenge at hand).

As for ideas... let's see :

If one of the SF or Dominion crew managed to salvage some treknology from their crash, they have a huge potential here :
    - A functional transporter : Here is Mister EveryWhere, who can appear anywhere he wants and leave with no traces.
    - A holoemitter : Behold the Master of Illusion, who can make you see and feel things that are not real.
    - A replicator : The Mysterious Purveyor can bring you whatever you need from nowhere.
    - A dermal regenerator : The Healer can save any wound, any life, just with the power of his hands (some Sleight of Hand would be in order here).

I know, the names are lame, but you can see the idea.

Add some abilities :
    - Klingon Brak'lul : They can take wounds that would kill a normal being, yet tomorrow they return from the dead to fight another rival (insert Highlander theme here )
    - Vulcan Nerve Pinch : If you happen to have a Stealthy Vulcan, then you got the Shadow of the Night, who can put anyone into the deepest sleep whithout never being heard nor caught.

I'm momentarily out of ideas, but I hope I'll have some more later.
    This is sooo much fun (and I who was looking for a humorous episode to run!). I can't wait to submit my players to it (it may be a few times anyway ).

Thanks for sharing this idea here, Diamond.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Talking

I like it. I like it lots.

I might have to steal the idea myself and use it on...against...whatever my players in the not-too-distant future...

Of course, I can readily assume that the phenomenon that caused the PCs to crash on the planet is not also forcing them to stay there...? That in order to leave, all the PCs have to do is repair the runabout and bugger off when no-one's watching?
    The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of an oncoming train. - Murphy's Law variant

Cool

Boy, am I glad I'm not playing in this one.....lol
    Best speed to Gallifrey!
    Commodore Horatio Richard Jaeger
    CO,USS Audacity,NCC-85901

Pulp heroes...cool...always liked the genre but could never find enough people who could take it seriously enough to get a good game going. Many congratulations...
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

ROTFL ... I wish I was playing in this game !

As for ideas, how about:
    • The Ghost Hand, the man who can move objects without touching them - one of the rare Vorta telekinetics.
    • The Abominable Lizardman, who is stronger than ten men and so ugly women faint when they see him - a Gorn.
    • The Shark, who can comit more frauds in a day than other criminals in a lifetime - a Ferengi who can hear the police comming from ten miles away and controls nearly all illegal gambling.

Thanks for all the ideas and comments!

I particularly like "The Ghost Hand", because I need to fill out the Dominion Gang more in order to have them be a challenge to the players - there's a lot of players I have to face.

Speaking of the players, I'm sure they'll be taking some of your earlier suggestions - one is a very tough Klingon who is probably the only one who can take the punishment of going toe to toe against Alpha Decay (the Jem Hadar). And there's a Vulcan who knows the nerve pinch so that will probably come into play. And a batazoid with telepathy.

I checked the Player's Guide this morning. Found another nifty one: the Napean SI operative's Exographic sensor goggles. They allow (limited) x-ray vision!

I've been doing some more thinking about this society they're going to be in. I'm going to try and ease away from the "Hodgekin's Parralel Planet boring identical syndrome." But I won't go so far away I won't be able to make jokes.

The way I see it, the average person's view in this culture of the whole Hero/Villain situation is similar to how commonfolk viewed the Samaurai in medival Japan. The Samaurai were more powerful and socially were immune from certain types of retribution from the commonfolk. There's an intricate social law about who is allowed to do what.

For example, the commonfolk police (for whom I'll be using the template Dan thoughtfully posted) of course try to stop Supervillains from comitting crimes. But they catch the villain, they can't kill him- just imprison him. And what do you know, they often escape.

Superheroes can't use guns and must try to fight crime. They can't endanger bystanders. They can't kill villains out of hand, but it's possible they might die accidentally during the battle. If a hero has ALL of his opponents die "accidentally", he'll be steadily ostracized by the hero community until he crosses the line to villain or shapes up.

Supervillains can't use guns, and if they capture heroes they cannot kill them out of hand. The only way they can kill a prisoner is by an elaborate deathtrap. If they violate this rule, they lose their protections as a Villain and can be sentanced to death if the police catch them.

Only superheroes and villains can enter their proclaimed hideouts. Thus the police can't nuke Villain's fortresses, as long as the Villains follow the code of conduct that restricts what damage they do to society.

One way the players might win in a hopless situation: if they can trick the Dominion Gang into doing something against the code of conduct, the gang will lose their Villain status and will get their hideout swarmed by hundreds of police.

Thus, if the players are clever enough to realize the rules of the setting and *USE* them, they might be able to win even if they are defeated in battle.

The native heroes and villains should not be counted out easily. Here's the prototype:

The Originial Captain Clever: Now retired and in this 50's, he his highly respected even though he's no longer spry enough to fight on the same level as the younger heroes. He started out as a policeman who realized he had the ability for a higher calling. His specialty is he uses the environment for both weapon and defence - like how Jackie Chan sometimes does or how Adrian Vied from Watchmen always did. He's also got a "useful belt" which contains ordinary items like superglue, duct tape, twine, marbles, and smoke/stink gernades which he uses, well, cleverly. He became a master of tactics and grew to lead a hero group called "the Momentmen" (ready to leap into battle at a moment's notice).

The New Captain Clever: When the original retired, this guy asked to carry on the name. The New guy's specialty is technology. He's a genius at applying it to crimefighting. He operates out of an airship, has got electrically charged gloves, and his version of the "Useful Belt" contains wire and batteries and tools and other small parts. While a technical genius, he's no slouch in the detecting part - something in which he surpasses the original (who preferred more straightforward battles than mysteries). His exploits are more like MacGuyver's than a martial artist's.

Now I'm going to steal jokes from an online comic (I'm pretty sure none of my players know this, so it'll be fresh and new to them. Steal from the best

Superhero group: the Men-Men
    Led by the Post-Man. He dresses in the uniform of a postal carrier, and carries a post (a club) as a weapon.
    Milk Man (actually not a man, a well-endowed superheroine), Garbage Man, Best Man, etc... not going to dwell on these to make it silly, just a one-line joke and let the player's imaginations think of what they might be like.

More details on this planet as I am inspired. Not everyone should be a joke. They're serious about defending their planet. Suggestions and ideas are of course welcomed.

Actually, I had an idea once about 'the Postmen': deranged deliverers and mad mailmen.....

Constanly thwarted by the exploits of Paperclip-bending Man!
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Multiples?

Well, Diamond, if you need to fill out the Dominion Gang, remember that they don't have to be that large or that varied.

You say 'Alpha Decay' is the Jem'hadar First in reality? And of course he has the ability to turn invisible...

Well, so do the members of his cadre.

What does this mean? Alpha Decay is not just capable of turning invisible - he can duplicate himself, in the manner of Marvel's Multiple Man.

Imagine the scene: another gangster is cornered by Alpha Decay, who pronounces whatever doom he is about lay down for resisting the Dominion Boys. The victim is prepared, and half-a-dozen goons with heavy weapons appear from behind doors and windows.

Alpha Decay just laughs as a dozen more identical copies of himself phase into existence...

Of course, we know they were there all along, just cloaked, but the locals have never seen the others before...
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Good idea, Imagus. I was considering the necessity of having several Jem Hadar, but I didn't want to be repetetive. That might get me off of the hook.

Of course, it raises the question of, "just how dumb are the locals, anyway?"

They don't have to be dumb if their code forbids them to know certain types of questions.
    For instance, their code could dictate that if a superhero states something and that their science fails to prove him wrong, they must hold his statement as true. That, and the fact that they aren't allowed inside superhero bases, means that if Alpha Decay has said he is alone and that he can duplicate himself, he must be trusted since no one can enter his base to count how many Jem'Hadar there are.
    However, if he does so, he shouldn't shroud himself (or at least alway let one of his kind visible), or the locals could honestly wonder if the "duplicates" are not in fact other than himself.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett