Thread: Congratulations Coda Trek!

Exclamation Congratulations Coda Trek!

Whoops. I mean congratulations. For some reason you can't edit thread titles.

While recently reviewing the "offical" errata for Coda Trek, I have realized just how short it is. In comparison to comparable rpg products, this is a great accomplishment.

So there are some issues about the acutal layout of the book, that is nothing compared to the fact that book is fairly editorially sound.

Good job to those involved in this project.

Now the true test: how does it play. After studying the rules for almost half a year (and waiting for the right time to spring it on my gaming group), I intend to finally give this game a run this Saturday. I am confident that my d20 only gaming group will pick up the rules quickly while my delivery of the game setting dispells their reservations about a Star Trek rpg.
    Last edited by E W Dawson; 11-20-2002 at 09:45 PM.

Edited thread title.

Thanks, Don. Like I mentioned in another thread, I now fully understand how even the simplest typos make it into these books.

The following is not really a rant; I am actually in quite a neutral and inquisitive mood.

Where's the love? I figured I would get a few more responses to this thread than just Don. Perhaps it is because this is one of the less busy boards or the typo in my original subject line.

Honestly, though. I am not saying bend over backwards and confess your undying love and devotion for the system. But if there are things you like about it, go ahead and post them. Was I wrong in giving Decipher credit for a job well done? Compared to the other core rule books I own, Star Trek has the fewest number of typos and the smallest errata (by about 10 pages). Is that not worthy of some praise?

I can't speak for Don or the other designers as well as the ever helpful and present Doug, but if I was one of them I would want to read a little praise and appreciation of a product I worked so hard on. No offense to any game designers, but I am sure it is not the money that keeps them in the business.

I guess it could be argued that the designers deserve nothing. They were already paid for their work on these products, was that not enough? In Don's case, no. Don has not only spent his own money but also his valuable time so that Trek gamers like you and me have a place to go to converse with other Trek fans and to get first rate gaming material. And Doug, I don't know his full story, but he is also making a valuable contribution to the game in his own right. But I guess all of this is another thread.

Getting back to the point, I say all of this not to brown-nose--I really have nothing gain from it--I say all of this because I am a human being and know the value of praise and appreciation for a job well done (or just plain hard work period). I don't know Don, Doug, or the rest of the Coda Trek team on a personal level, so the only way I can really experss my thanks for the time they put in the game as well as this site is through their work.

Is is it too much to ask for just a little commentary on the subject especially when so much attention and energy is devoted to negative subjects such as where are my Coda Trek supplements?

For what it's worth, I appreciation and enjoy this game.

Credit where credit is due, they DO make a high-quality product, and they deserve much appreciation and kudos for that.

I very much look forward to their next quality product.

I have been looking forward to their next quality product for a considerable amount of time.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Well, yes I have been paid for my work (okay, technically, not all of it…grumble, grumble) so there is something of a "move on" mindset that I have.

Once the system first came out I paid a lot of attention to the feedback but I think now I've divorced myself somewhat emotionally as I've moved on to other projects. (Some of which I can not discuss.) There's always the risk of becoming too emotionally involved, which I will admit to when the first bits of "Coda is nothing more than D20 with the serial numbers filed off" started coming out. I find that pretty insulting, especially when communicated in such a fashion. Also, the layout of the book (IMO) is pretty horrible, so that also colors a few people's opinion of the system. I can't blame anyone for getting frustrated after flipping back-and-forth to make a character and throwing up their hands in surrender. All I can say is there is a fun, easy-to-play, and cinematic game under there that is flexible and will give you years of enjoyment that (IMO) captures the feel of the property. I think the NG rocks on toast and aside from (again) a few layout issues, is a great resource. I also fully support the selection of species that we used. We're also just as frustrated by the lack of Star Trek RPG products on store shelves; hopefully that'll be solved soon.

Finally, and I leave this for last not as an afterthought but instead because it’s the most important point to make, is that a lot of the credit goes to the developer, in this case, Ross Isaacs. Ross put a lot of work in the system, drawing it together, filling in the rough spots, adjusting based on playtester feedback, and trying to make sense of all the authors individual ramblings. Oh sure, that's his job, but I think it's easy to overlook the importance of the developer.

So, if you really want to thank anyone for Coda I think you should voice your appreciation to Ross directly. He's the man that made it happen.

Perhaps it is just becasue I have been reading the Player's Guide for several months, but I have not found the character creation that confusing. Sure, there is a lot of page flipping but no more than any other rpg I play. I have found that it is just a matter of how much of each (skills, traits, etc) my character gets. Additionally, and this may be risking, but I have found that Coda's . . . similarity . . . to the d20 system a great benifit as far as character creation goes. For example, I know basically what skills, traits, and professions do from d20 I just need to know the Coda specifics.

The whole issue could easily be solved by posting a small character creation guide on Decipher's site. But, as we all know, TrekRPG.net is more likely to be on top of this sort of thing way before Decipher.

That is probably another big frustration of Coda Trek players: Decipher's support of the game. I have heard bits and pieces of "behind the scenes" info on Decipher and most of it sounds very good. But the fact that the Trek rpg is being treated like a an unwanted guest remains. Do they think this thing is going to sell itself? When in doubt, do what WotC does. Well, don't do everything WotC does.

My praise was meant for all those involved with Coda Trek. I used you as an example because you have clearly done a lot for this game (and Star Trek rpgs in general) on your personal time. At least that is how it looks to me. Perhaps Decipher pays you for this but I doubt it. They have not paid you for commissioned work?

I must admit, however, with my recent increased interest in the game (I am preparing to start running my series) I am growing very impatient for these new products. I would not go as far as to start spouting conspiracy theroies about the matter, but just from the little I have heard about these products I can see why gamers want them.

Character creation is pretty simple. The first 2 characters you make you'll have to flip around for but like the person above me said, not anymore than in another RPG book.

I don't see how all that much flipping is involved after you make a few characters. By then you know where to go for things and what order to do them in in the first place to save flipping.

But yes, I give you that the book doesn't look all that pretty, but the Lord of the Rings book (also by DECIPHER not evil WotC who has created a far crappier Star Wars CCG than DECIPHER had) is amazing!

...George Lucas and his "i own 10% of Hasbro who owns WotC so I'm giving the Star Wars CCG property to Wotc blah blah blah blah blah..."

...If you're wondering...yes i am holding a grudge...

Thumbs up

Personally my group is staying with LUG for sheer logistics only (Players do not want to convert)

However I own both the books and I wanted to add I believe it is a Beautiful product and has been a highly informative source. The books are well done and the product is one of the most profesional and 'user' friendly of any RPG I have ever played.(i go back tot he old days when TSR's Gamma World was just an idea)

So i wanted to add though I was against the new game WAAAAY back when I am now impressed now that I have read through them and have used them as a resource.

Kudos Guys and thanks

Take it from a humbled gamer =)

Capt. Pike:
    "I'm tired of being responsible for 203 lives. I'm tired of deciding who goes on the landing party and who doesn't... and who lives... and who dies. "