Thread: [ICON] Intermediate System

[ICON] Intermediate System

Before anyone says anything:

Shut up, I don't have money for Coda Trek.

Anyways....

I always thought that the ICON battle rules were way too simplified and that the Spacedock rules were overcomplicated.

So I made a system that is in between, using elements of both.

Right now it is only on real paper, but if anyone would be interested in it, I am currently typing it up.

I tweaked it a little to allow for fighters by making the energy costs of sublight dependent on mass.

Trust me guys, it'll be worth it.
    Whatchu talkin 'bout Willis?

Darn, and I was hoping to post my own 'intermediate' ICON rules here before anyone else does.

Too bad they exist only in German right now, as I wrote them first and foremost for use in my own game while we were still playing ICON.

But even if I am not playing ICON at the moment I'd still like to see what you came up with. Type away.

Lancer??

Where please be so kind to send me your rules????
    I´m German and so its googd that your rules are in german!!

My Email addy: Patrickdickmeis@t-online.de

THX!!!!

Ich spreche deutsche!

I'd be interested in looking at your system.

I typed up a vague version last night. It is extremely vague, but I think someone could decipher it . I'm still making the full version, but that will take me quite a while. I call this system: Icon-dock!

Download "Vague" Version

Maddox, marty: I'll send you what I have in a day or two. I'll have to check which of my files is the latest version (I did several and didn't use them for nearly a year) and I'd like to convert them to PDF to make sure you can read them.

Marty: Could you give me your email address, either here or by private forum message so I can send the file your way?
    Und ich hoffe Deutsch ist, wenn nicht deine Muttersprache, so doch wenigstens etwas womit du ganz gut vertraut bist, sonst könntest du echte Schwierigkeiten bekommen.

I'm only 3rd year german, but I think I could get through difficult spots with only a little help :P

Okay, while I am browsing my old files let me at least hit the highlights for you all:

My own rules draw heavily from Spacedock in some regards, especially the multifire rules. I use a rather abstract way of keeping track of ranges between starships that has a lot of similarities with CODA, but is actually more influenced by the way Traveller handled ranges in starship combat.

Almost anything someone can do during space combat modifies the Shipboard Systems(Tactics) skill and other skill checks the acting ship's crew attempts, in order to allow the players to keep track of their own actions, while the Narrator concentrates on playing the opposition.

Each and every ship system (from EPS grids to cargo bays and deflectors) has a damage track that has two components: A number of 'boxes' to mark off as a ship takes damage and a modifier associated with each box of damage.
    While each ship template has the same maximum number of damage 'boxes' for any given system not every ship has the full set of 'boxes' or the same exact damage track. For example:

Ship A has 6 'boxes' for it's lateral sensor system:
    / 0 / 0 / -1 / -1 / -2 / -3 /
    The more damage it takes the higher the penalty to any use of the lateral sensors becomes. Ship A, BTW, is a fairly modern kind of ship - while you will suffer consequences from damage, it takes a while before the penalty gets significant.

Now ship B has 6 boxes in it's lateral sensor damage track as well, so they are just a sturdy as those on ship A, but... The damage track for ship B reads
    / 0 / -1 / -2 / -2 / -3 / -3 /
    Both systems can take the same damage before going off-line, but ship B uses older sensors that will suffer a high penalty a lot sooner than those on ship A.

Oh and before you ask: Damage runs from 1 to 5. 6 with extra energy diverted to the phasers and 7 as the possible maximum for the most powerfull phasers (Type XII) and disruptors.

Now you know at least the two aspects of my rules that I consider as "high points" of said rules: They allow the players to keep track of their own actions and damage not only differentiates between "how much", but although between "with what consequences" any system takes damage.

If you want more, buy the book. Or at least wait for my emails.