Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating Timefleet Characters

Question Creating Timefleet Characters

Anybody out there have any ideas whatsoever how to create a Timefleet character? I am interested in making one or two for a series I plan on runing.

------------------
    I fight fires 'cause the voices tell me to...

Have you looked in the "All Our Yesterdays" sourcebook?

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

the book you are looking for is "all our yesterdays" it has what your looking for page 61.

------------------
    Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom. ---General George Patton

cmdr torak, I was talking about the Federation Timefleet, from the 29th century (see Voyager episode "Relativity"). On p 61 of "All Our Yesterdays", the chapter which begins there is for creating Department of Temporal Investigations characters. Not the same thing. Sorry
    Sarge, I've looked everywhere! There are vague mentions of the Timefleets purpose throughout the book, as well as some of their vessels, but no hardcore material I could use to generate a character.

------------------
    I fight fires 'cause the voices tell me to...

Sounds like another soursbook project to me!

Chris

------------------
    God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage.

Not really another sourcebook, its one of the aspects we wanted to cover in the Starfleet Guide... Possibly as an additional chapter available seperately...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

I'd just use the DTI info and give the characters more advanced toys to play with.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

Originally posted by Commander Phil:
    Anybody out there have any ideas whatsoever how to create a Timefleet character? I am interested in making one or two for a series I plan on runing.

I don't know if this helps because I only used it to create an NPC from 30th Century Starfleet but it could be tinkered with.

1. Select a racial template including some non-Federation races (Nausican, Pakled, Cardassian, Vorta, Voth) or better yet create a new one of your own to make it evident how much the Federation has expanded.

2. Choose an Early Life History with strong science skills.

3. Choose a Overlay from the core book but replace some of the skills with "new" specializations you create such Personal Equipment (temporal field generator), Shipboard Systems(long-range transporters), History (Ferengi-Borg Wars), Space Sciences (photonics) Physican Sciences (temporal fields).

4. Choose an Academy background or create new ones (Delta Quadrant campus study, Cardassian mental training, 17th century field study)

5. Use the tours of duty but alter any skills to suit your background history from the future.

Balance out the following advantages and disadvantages

ADVANTAGES
    - Physically Advanced +1 or +5 (character reflects the biological advances of his time period; a +1 means the character is taller but otherwise normal, has double the normal lifespan or a similar benefit; +5 means he has 5 extra DPs to spend on Attributes and traits even if they are beyond the racial limit)
    - Knowledge bio-inplant +3 (allows a player to learn three skills that he would otherwise not know or have the either Tactical Genius, Science, Engineering or Language Aptitude)
    - Historical Aptitude +3
    - Temporal Genius/Training +3
    - Civilized +2 (Can select one "negative" disadvantage of his race and remove it. "I'm a Klingon we gave up our bloodlust centuries ago.")
    - Technologically Advanced +1 to +5 (each point means the character comes from a period where the Technological Level (see core book) is more advanced; players using any science, engineering, shipboard system or presonal equipment skill gets a +1 bonus for each level of this advantage.)

DISADVANTAGES
    - Code of Honor -3 (Temporal Prime Directive you can tell members of Starfleet that you are from the future if you aren't from a "new" member race but you cannot reveal any facts or clues about the future)
    - No Past -2
    - Advanced Species -3 (The character belongs to a race or group which is not well liked by current Federation races or has evolved past current traits; "I'm a Ferengi, what do I know about money or haggling over price?")
    - Culturally Lost -3 (A -3 penalty to command, persuasion or charm skills. "You're in a red uniform, you must be a doctor."; "So the shuttle exploded, there is enough tissue floating out there to reconstruct the captain in a bio-reintegrator right? Wait has Professor Harry Zenek been born yet?")
    - Historically Inaccurate -2 (A -2 penalty to all command, charm, persuasion, culture, history or social science sills. "I always wanted to meet Enterprise Captain Picard, the hero of the V'Ger mission.")

As far as roleplaying the character don't shy away from playing it over the top. Act amused by things your character sees as odd or strange that others think are marvelous. But remember you are in on a joke that the other players aren't aware of and you can't talk about. "Holodecks? How quaint." "Sorry Sir I didn't meant to laugh about having to deal with the Romulans."

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by CaptainGonzalez (edited 02-03-2001).]

Don't forget to include the Arrogant disadvantage for dealing with more "primitive" time periods!

------------------
    "The more top brass briefings I attend, the more I want to take a phaser to the whole lot of them..."

Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest, NCC-81205

I came across this post a while back and liked the concept. Since we've seen some futures of Star Trek in the different series I tried to make some tours, academy packages and an overlay. Depending on the setting of your history and the era you're playing, these could be used (even in the 25th for example).

Temporal Security Overlay (54 DP)
    A position abourd a Federation Timeship or Starbase tasked with the protection of the timeline. This department ensures the safety and security of the timeline and continuously seek out disturbenses and deals with them.

Athletics (choose specialization) 1 (2)
    Energy Weapon (Phaser) 1 (2)
    Dodge 1
    First Aid (Combat/Wound Trauma) 1 (2)
    Law (Starfleet/Timefleet Regulations) 1 (2)
    Planetside Survival (choose specialization) 1 (2)
    Personal Equipment (choose specialization) 1 (2)
    Unarmed Combat (Starfleet Martial Arts) 1 (2)
    Vehicle Operations (Shuttlecraft) 1 (2)
    Shipboard Systems (Sensors) (Temporal Systems) 2 (3) (3)
    History (Federation) (choose one other) 2 (3) (3)
    Engineering, Systems (Temporal Systems) 1 (2)
    Social Sciences (Anthropology) (Historical Engineering) 1 (2) (2)
    Physical Sciences (Temporal Physics) 1 (2)
    Language Federation 1

Sense of Time (+1)

Academy Packages (future Starfleet/Timefleet) (8 DP)

Delta Quadrant Campus Exchange:
    Cadet spent half a year to a year at the Delta Quadrant campus of Starfleet Academy. There he learned a lot about the Delta Quadrant, its species and its history.
    Culture (choose 2 specializations of Delta Quadrant species) 1 (2) (2)
    Starship Tactics (choose Delta Quadrant species) 1 (2)
    If the borg are still a threat: Species Enemy (Borg) -2 AND 2 points of contacts

Gamma Quadrant Campus Exchange:
    Same as Delta Quadrant but with Gamma species and a substitution of Borg for Dominion if they are still a threat

Historical Field Study:
    The cadet took a trip to an earlier time period to study its history. The strict non interference made sure he didn't effect the timeline.
    History (choose time period and planet) 2 (3)
    Culture (choose culture from period/planet) 1 (2)
    Code of Honor (Temporal Prime Directive) -3
    Social Sciences (Anthropology) 1 (2)

Tours of Duty (future Starfleet/Timefleet) (10 DP)

Temporal Patrol:
    Serving aboard a vessel which patrolled the timeline by scanning for anomalies in the timeline and correcting them.
    Shipboard Systems (Sensors) (Temporal Systems) (Shields) 1 (2) (2) (2)
    History (choose specialization) 1 (2)

Historical Field Study
    Same as academy package plus the following:
    Language (Choose language of period/planet) 1
    Sense of Time (+1) OR Cultural Flexibility (+1)

Given that most of the timefleet/future characters we've seen have been subject to horrible timeline-related trauma, I'm sure theres a 'McFly Syndrome' disadvantage to be had somewhere. Figuring out how to trigger it might be problematic though...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Just a point about the "Historical Field Study" package: Non-interference? But the very act of being in the past is interference, and we all know it's "human" nature (and young SF character's are even worse) to get involved with the persons/events around them.
    Admiral 5 of 12 can tell them all about the dangers of getting involved with in "Historical Events", but when they see someone about to be killed, you KNOW they are going to save them, and thus doom the Temporal Federation to become the Second Terran Empire!

Of course, what if their minds were "selectivly edited", most likely when they were dumped in the past? Maybe they don't even remember the TF; they think this is their native timeline. Or, maybe they know they are from the future, but all information about the current situation has been locked from their conscious mind.

Just my two temporal credits!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Of course, what if their minds were "selectivly edited", most likely when they were dumped in the past? Maybe they don't even remember the TF; they think this is their native timeline. Or, maybe they know they are from the future, but all information about the current situation has been locked from their conscious mind.

Just my two temporal credits!
    Yeah, we're talking something incredibly dangerous here. It's likely that most of Timefleet's job is flying around making sure people aren't time-travelling.

Which means Yithian-style mind-projection (into a being's unconscious mind) might be a popular means of observation–and escaping.

There's another thing to consider–what if Timefleet is a multinational organization, including representatives from a number of intergalactic powers? The Wells and Aeon class ships could be just the Federation's hardware.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Mind Transference would be a safer route to travel (and give Scott Backula more work... ).

Along the lines of "who's in the Time fleet?", who would their enemies be? I mean it took 300 years to bring Klingons into line with Federation thinking. How long would Romulans and Cardassians be our enemies? With Odo acting as head founder (or at least sharing his own experiences with the Link), how long would the Dominion be a threat? What about the Borg? (one novel idea is that there are in the future multiple Collectives, some allies, some enemies, and some just off on their own)

Then theres a the possibility that the big bad in the future is someone or something no on in the "present" galactic scene could have forseen. For example, just 50 years ago, the USSR and "Red" China were our enemies, and the peoples of the middle east were some one else's problem (namely Israel and European countries with colonies).
    Now, China is our biggest trade partner to the point that war with them is almost unthinkable for either party. Russia was our ally and remains one on paper, but they seem to be slowly becoming our enemy again. And while those Middle Eastern nations are still by and large someone else's problem, fringe groups from those countries did something that none of our Cold War enemies did: attack and destroy targets inside the US! (Imagine a person from 1958's reaction to Ground Zero; he probably wouldn't believe you when you told him it wasn't "Commie Basturds!")

So, the threat race in a Time fleet setting could be anyone. A race that was recently encountered; extra-galactic (or dimentional) invaders; a recently concieved threat (It all started when the Bynars found the Machine planet......), or maybe even breakaway members of the UFP!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Mind Transference would be a safer route to travel (and give Scott Backula more work... ).

Along the lines of "who's in the Time fleet?", who would their enemies be?
    The Romulan Stellar Alliance, an egalitarian, utopian, multi-species republic that evolved out of a Romulan Star Empire that conquered the Alpha Quadrant in the late 22nd century. The Kelvan Loyalist Faction. Psychic parasites that live in the blood from the Triangulum Galaxy. The Great Race of Yith. Devidians.

And the Other Timefleet Officers, who've succumbed to temporal psychosis and ran off into the depths of time. Including their future versions.

I mean it took 300 years to bring Klingons into line with Federation thinking. How long would Romulans and Cardassians be our enemies?
    Romulus already has a strong Surakist/unification movement. Depending on how postwar reconstruction and cultural shifts post-DW might go, Cardassia might be a member by the end of the 24th century.

With Odo acting as head founder (or at least sharing his own experiences with the Link), how long would the Dominion be a threat?
    Would the Vorta seize power if the Founders absconded, or attempted to dismantle the Dominion's structure? If they just let go of power, what leaders will billions and billions of people look to for help? While the Teplans might be happy, there's thousands of worlds who've built their economies and social structure on the foundation of the Dominion keeping order. Without that, they have to take care of themselves, and scared people in chaotic situations tend to look for whoever seems like the strongest leader.

What about the Borg? (one novel idea is that there are in the future multiple Collectives, some allies, some enemies, and some just off on their own)
    There's probably multiple collectives in the present; the Federation just doesn't know how to talk to it/them. At least one/all part has probably joined the Federation.

So, the threat race in a Time fleet setting could be anyone. A race that was recently encountered; extra-galactic (or dimentional) invaders; a recently concieved threat (It all started when the Bynars found the Machine planet......), or maybe even breakaway members of the UFP!
    Unless you're playing a Temporal War game (which forces the Narrator to ask not just what era they're playing in, but which iteration of era...) or a Long Road to Temporal Peace game, you don't need one overarching enemy. A series built around just exploration episodes and timeline policing (and first contact with particularly weird life-forms) could be awesome.
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 04-04-2008 at 01:06 PM.