Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating Timefleet Characters

Ok, TK, was that stuff all yours or did you get it somewhere, because it all sounded really good. Are you sure YOU'RE not a Time agent?

Yeah exploring space AND time would be cool, and the first contacts at that level would be so unique; when you think that you're meeting a race that has at least stellar and temporal travel capabilities (and perhaps dimentional?) they are going to have to be more than just "klingons, but lizard like and telepathic!" that you can whip up on the fly. They are going to have to be as sophistcated (or more so) then the Timefleet itself!

Thinking about it, TOS and NG had no "big bad"; that started with DS9 and continued. While I like having an enemy to go against, there is something to be said of just having the exploration stories that you get from having all of time and space open to you.

It's all jazz, man, it's all jazz.

Another, wackier option is to do a 'Gunsmoke in time' series. Watching over temporal safehouse somewhere in, say 1000AD Constantinople, or 3000BC Gol, watching out for temporal incursions and observing the natives. Kind of like all those Doctor Who stories where he's hanging out on contemporary Earth (only no UNIT, unless they're 'supposed' to be assisting the natives). Alternatively, the 'outpost' could be outside or beside time, a gatepost temporal travellers pass through on their way futureward or pastward.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

One idea I had for a temporal campaign was to sorta have it 'spin off' of a regular campaign; You have a regular ship and crew, with some sorta threat showing up. Then you pull an "Ensign Daniels" and have someone on the ship be a time agent/timefleet operative, who then explains that what is happening isn't was was supposed to happen, and then the crew becomes part of (at least for the time being, no pun intended) the attempt to fix the situation.

I sorta like that outpost idea though....

One thing that always makes me wonder about time travel based fiction and gameing is that there are supposedly many possible futures, and events in the past shape what future you go to. So, from a 24th century perspective, yes there is a friendly and very familar Timefleet, basicly an outgrowth of Starfleet.

But, there quite possibly could be, from various alternate futures; The Romulan Temporal Empire, A 27th century Borg Mega-Collective (every sentient being is now Borg), The Vorta Ascendence (one the Founders evolved beyond our plane of existance they filled the void), The Andromedan Temporal Insurgancy (ensuring that they will conquer us by the 29th century), and Rodenberry knows what else, all vying for a chance to ensure that their present (our future) is the only one.

The Time/space Continum could become a busy place!

In the Gurps infinite worlds book they used something like that for the time travel part of the book. There were two (possible) features and they could all operate in the past, but not in each others future. They tried to make sure certain events happened to ensure their future. But the outcome of changes was a very uncertain factor, as well as what was good for their history. They also worked on the premise of certain time blackouts, certain parts of history that were not accessible. The same held for the last 40 years (as seen from the now) which could also not be accessed. Quite some interesting ideas in there (also for parallel world)