Thread: Revised Weapon Damage

Revised Weapon Damage

Lifted from the Decipher boards, since I noticed nobody cross-posted them here yet. Both the Star Trek and Lord of the Rings games have had their weapon damages revised. Curious? Wait no longer! We'll do Star Trek first, considering the folks around here

Revised Weapon Damage for CODA Trek ... Doug Burke ... 11.27-21:26
    The values provided below should replace those in the PG (Table 10.3, Page 181) and the NG (Table 6.18, Page 90). Here are the modified Damage/Parry Modifiers:

Ahn-woon: 1d3+grapple/-3
    Bat'leth: 2d6+5/+2
    Club: 1d6+1/+1
    D'k tahg: 1d6+2/-2 (-1)
    Knife: 1d6+2/-2
    Lirpa (Blade): 2d6+4/+1
    Lirpa (Club): 2d6+1/+1
    Mace: 2d6+1/-1
    Mace (Spiked): 2d6+3/+0
    Mek'leth: 2d6+3/+1
    Spear: 2d6+3/+1
    Sword: 2d6+1/+0

Bow & Arrow: 2d6
    Crossbow: 2d6+1
    Javelin: 2d6+4
    Kligat: 1d6+3
    Spear, Thrown: 2d6+3
    Throwing Knife: 1d6+2

Doug Burke
    Net Rep
    Now the bit for the Ringers among us.

Revised Weapon Damage ... Doug Burke ... 11.26-20:29
    Well, it's been a while coming, but here it is, the revised weapon statistics for the LOTR RPG. Hope this helps...

Doug Burke
    Net Rep

Table 8.2 (Page 205) should be modified to show the following for each weapon's Damage/Parry Bonus:
    • Axe, Battle: 2d6+4/+1
    • Axe, Great: 3d6+2/+1
    • Club: 1d6+1/+1
    • Dagger: 1d6+2/-2
    • Dagger, Long Knife: 2d6+3/+0
    • Dagger, Orc: 1d6+3/+0
    • Hammer: 2d6+1/+0
    • Mace: 2d6+1/-1
    • Mattock: 2d6+4/+1
    • Pikestaff: 2d6+1/+0
    • Shield (bash): 1d6+1/+5 or +3
    • Spear: 2d6+3/+1
    • Staff: 1d6+2/+2
    • Sword, Longsword: 2d6+5/+1
    • Sword, Longsword, Orc: 2d6+5/+1
    • Sword, Scimitar: 2d6+3/+1
    • Sword, Short Sword (Eket): 2d6+1/+0
    • Unarmed Attack: 1d6/+0
    • Whip: 1d3+Grapple/-3

• Arrow, regular or Orc: 2d6
    • Dagger, Thrown: 1d6+2
    • Javelin: 2d6+4
    • Spear, Thrown: 2d6+3
    • Stone, Thrown: 1d6

Also note that the whip now has "+Grapple" added to its damage rating. The following text should be added to the whip's description on page 206. "If you score a Superior Success or better you manage to grab your opponent with the whip. Each round thereafter you can use the weapon to hold your opponent defenseless, force him to the ground, and so on by succeeding at an opposed Strength attribute test (you get +4 to your test result). While held, the opponent is easier to hit; modify attack tests made to hit the opponent by +5."
    As always, extra freaking yahoos to Doug Burke for being the middleman.

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

About crossposting...

I knew I forgot to do something...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Cool! Thanks for posting this. I don't go to the Decipher boards, so this is the first I've heard about the revision.

Is the dagger, long knife damage really supposed to be 2d6+3, or is that a typo? I'm guessing it ought to be 1d6+3.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Originally posted by Sarge
    Is the dagger, long knife damage really supposed to be 2d6+3, or is that a typo? I'm guessing it ought to be 1d6+3.
    It would certainly seem to be logical, would it not?

I don't have an answer on it yet, but the question has already been asked. Will try to keep you posted.

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

A Question

Are the two-handed weapons supposed to get the +4 damage bonus from the "two-handed attack" maneuver? If not, then I'd say their damage is too low.

There are a few other numbers that I'm tempted to tweak a little, but I'm a firm believer in not having all scimitars, daggers, etc having exactly the same game stats. If I want a mace that's more effective at parrying than the one on the table, I'll just increase the parry bonus. To keep things balanced, I'll apply a penalty, such as less damage, or more expensive. The table is a good baseline description of fairly typical weapons.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

6. Great Axe - 3d6 +2. Me likes!! Possible 20 points of damage/attack. 2 Attacks/round. Get me some Swift Strike, that's 4 attacks/round....oh....80 Points of Damage/round --- The Dwarf smiles & pets his new best friend!!

Now, if it's really supposed to be 3d6 +4, well then....oh wait, specializing in Great Axe, nope just a +2 to hit. Hrm, time to bulk up on some STR - "DM, here's my character sheet - no, you're not reading the name wrong, Quissinart is correct."
    --------------------

<ul>
    <li><a href="http://ghlbeyerlein.tripod.com"> My web site</a>
    <li> <a href="http://stations.mp3s.com/stations/358/grutos_metallipage.html">My MetalliStation</a>
    <li><a href="http://www.grid.org/projects/cancer/"> United Device's distributive computing Cancer Research Project</a>
    <li><a href="http://www.firstgov.gov">FirstGov.gov</a>
    <li><a href="http://www.tsa.gov/public/index.jsp">TSA.gov</a>
    <li><a href="http://www.whitehouse.gov/homeland/">Homeland Security</a>