Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Corrected Chi Warp Charts

Exclamation Corrected Chi Warp Charts

Well here is a corrected Chi chart, using Chi=12.927238 (TOS STMAPS used 1292.7238 for the federation average which is way to high. Basically to cover their trip to edge of the galactic barrier.)

Warp X = Chi speed in ly (std warp spd) [ly/day] (std ly/day)

Wp 1.00 = 12.93 (1) [0.04] (0.003)
    Wp 2.00 = 129.27 (10) [0.35] (0.03)
    Wp 3.00 = 504.16 (39) [1.38] (0.11)
    Wp 4.00 = 1318.58 (102) [3.61] (0.28)
    Wp 5.00 = 2766.43 (214) [7.57] (0.59)
    Wp 6.00 = 5067.48 (392) [13.87] (1.07)
    Wp 7.00 = 8480.27 (656) [23.22] (1.80)
    Wp 8.00 = 13237.49 (1024) [36.24] (2.80)
    Wp 9.00 = 19597.69 (1516) [53.66] (4.15)
    Wp 9.20 = 21317.02 (1649) [58.36] (4.52)
    Wp 9.60 = 24678.10 (1909) [67.57] (5.23)
    Wp 9.90 = 39466.86 (3053) [108.05] (8.36)
    Wp 9.99 = 102280.31 (7912) [280.03] (21.66)
    Wp 9.9999 = 2579190.82 (199516) [7061.44](546.25) {294 ly / hr}

Well since warp 9 can get you 53 ly a day, time distances in the federation become a whole lot more understandable.

Antares (604 ly) at Chi Wp-9 takes 11.25 days

Deneb (3239 ly) Chi Wp-9 takes 60 days

Rigel (772 ly) Chi Wp-9 takes 14.5 days

As well taking DS9-Earth as around 150-200 ly (100 ly radius inner fed perimeter + 50.3 ly from there to Ds9) then 2-4 days becomes realistic. And many allien core worlds (Romulus, Klingon etc.) can be reached within a week if not less.

Additionally, subspace communications works alot better now in real time communication. Even up to 100 ly, communication would still seem fairly instantaneous; especially with booster relays.

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Errrrrr...could you explain what these chi warp speeds are supposed to be? Since they don't correlate to the 'canon' speeds I'm familiar with. Are they just GM license?

Cheers

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter
    CO NCC-73602, U.S.S. Intrepid
    http://www.ussintrepid.org.uk

Smile

I like it. Works fine with my view of the Trek universe. Thanks.

------------------
    "A penny for my thought. A dollar for my silence."

Originally posted by USS Intrepid:
    Errrrrr...could you explain what these chi warp speeds are supposed to be? Since they don't correlate to the 'canon' speeds I'm familiar with. Are they just GM license?

Cheers

The Star Trek Maps released in 1980 by Bantam Books, had 2 full colur starcharts of trek space based around TOS app. ST I (2271)

In this was a chi factor to modify the warp equation essentially by bypassing extraneous matter in real space by going through subspace. So the more matter (nebula, black hole etc.) would have a high value uptoward 1500. Interstellar space would be 1 ie no matter of consequence. Federation space average was 1292....

Now in modern terms 1292 as a multiplier is far to high, so I and a few others have sugested a value of 12.92 which works fairly well with onscreen times. While official 'in book' data uses a value of 1 or interstellar space.

So consequently I have chosen a range for Chi of 1-150, where the fed average is 12.92

Offset by this is Voyager using canon speeds. This can be explained by the fact that sophisticated sensor equipment is needed to detect the eb and flow of the 'subspace eddies'. ie gravitational forces that can effect warp travel etc.

{If this isn't clear I pull the official line from the maps)

As well space outside the federation's exploration zone would be limited to a 'canon warp speed' until the area is scanned properly.

In fact I will post the official word.

'... actual warp speeds relative to the speed of light may be calculated by multiplying the warp factor cubed by a variable that accounts for the curvature of space in a forth dimension by the presence of mass; subspace, a continuum in which a vessel under warp drive travels, is not curved in a forth spatial dimension, and therefore offers a linear "short cut" between points in our galaxy. This variable, called Cochrane's factor and sometimes indicated by the Greek letter chi, can be as high as 1500 in dense dust and gas clouds and as little as 1 in the intergalatic void. It is larger near massive objects such as stars, and black holes, as space is curved around such objects to an even greater extent. For practical reasons, warp drive is not used in the vicinity of massive objects, as the disproportionately high warp speeds tend to produce a "slingshot effect", catapulting a starship out of this space-time continuum altogether. Between galaxies, where negligible matter exists, space is not perceptibly curved, and the short cut afforded by Cochrane's factor disappears. ...'

And

'... chi varies with the local density of matter. This variable, somewhat analogous to the winds of ocean currents in sailing, explains why great interstellar distances may sometimes be traversed at greater speeds and in less time than shorter distances. ...'

And
    '... given an average value for chi of 1292.7238 within Federation space. ...'

Of course this is using the TOS warp charts but the principle is the same.

------------------

Originally posted by SIR SIG:
    The Star Trek Maps released in 1980 by Bantam Books, had 2 full colur starcharts of trek space based around TOS app. ST I (2271)

In this was a chi factor to modify the warp equation essentially by bypassing extraneous matter in real space by going through subspace. So the more matter (nebula, black hole etc.) would have a high value uptoward 1500. Interstellar space would be 1 ie no matter of consequence. Federation space average was 1292....

Now in modern terms 1292 as a multiplier is far to high, so I and a few others have sugested a value of 12.92 which works fairly well with onscreen times. While official 'in book' data uses a value of 1 or interstellar space.

So consequently I have chosen a range for Chi of 1-150, where the fed average is 12.92

Offset by this is Voyager using canon speeds. This can be explained by the fact that sophisticated sensor equipment is needed to detect the eb and flow of the 'subspace eddies'. ie gravitational forces that can effect warp travel etc.

{If this isn't clear I pull the official line from the maps)

As well space outside the federation's exploration zone would be limited to a 'canon warp speed' until the area is scanned properly.

In fact I will post the official word.

'... actual warp speeds relative to the speed of light may be calculated by multiplying the warp factor cubed by a variable that accounts for the curvature of space in a forth dimension by the presence of mass; subspace, a continuum in which a vessel under warp drive travels, is not curved in a forth spatial dimension, and therefore offers a linear "short cut" between points in our galaxy. This variable, called Cochrane's factor and sometimes indicated by the Greek letter chi, can be as high as 1500 in dense dust and gas clouds and as little as 1 in the intergalatic void. It is larger near massive objects such as stars, and black holes, as space is curved around such objects to an even greater extent. For practical reasons, warp drive is not used in the vicinity of massive objects, as the disproportionately high warp speeds tend to produce a "slingshot effect", catapulting a starship out of this space-time continuum altogether. Between galaxies, where negligible matter exists, space is not perceptibly curved, and the short cut afforded by Cochrane's factor disappears. ...'

And

'... chi varies with the local density of matter. This variable, somewhat analogous to the winds of ocean currents in sailing, explains why great interstellar distances may sometimes be traversed at greater speeds and in less time than shorter distances. ...'

And
    '... given an average value for chi of 1292.7238 within Federation space. ...'

Of course this is using the TOS warp charts but the principle is the same.

Ouch, my head hurts, too complicated, way too complicated pseudo-science, lets stick to canon info.

------------------
    "Those Klingons are up to something, I can feel it in my bones"
    Cmmdr JT Wayland
    Strategic Operations Officer, Starbase 415, Dragomer Sector, Klingon Border, 2372

Ah well just so it makes sense and not just me babbling about 'wierd stuff'.

------------------

Thanks for the explanation.

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter
    CO NCC-73602, U.S.S. Intrepid
    http://www.ussintrepid.org.uk

Wink

As I've maintained, warp factors actual speed are a direct coefficient of the tau space quantum field fluctuation of fractal flatulential reality.

In other words, your ship travels at the speed of plot.

so starships are gas powered!

Well thats the word!
    And its what I'm using from now on.
    So Martok and Worf really could have gone from SB 375 to Qo'nos in 3.5 days (Sacrifice of Angels: DS9)

------------------

[quote]Originally posted by Cmmdr JT Wayland:
    Originally posted by SIR SIG:
    Ouch, my head hurts, too complicated, way too complicated pseudo-science, lets stick to canon info.
    I too use the "speed of plot" on most of my adventures. I just say Ït takes two weeks for you to get there." However, things get tricky in tactical situations when ships have to close lightyears in minutes -- usually 17 ly, the sensors maximum range -- without having to become a subspace energy field.
    Sir SIG's chi table is great, although I can spot some wrong assumptions -- but that's why it's called technobabble, right? As for not being canon, that's open to discussion. The canon warp speeds are those listed in manuals such as the ST:TNG Technical Manual, but, if in the shows they have travel times which are incongruent with the canon speeds, then we have to assume there's some factor they haven't listed.

------------------
    "As long as you can laugh, you are not
    defeated."

–- Jack Vance

Yeah its bad enough that the shows even try to pay some attention to warp charts.
    Its like they have their charts, and we have some poxy slower ones.

------------------

BTW, is the warp 5 speed limit still valid in Star Trek? In my campaign I ignore it assuming there have been technical improvements to warp drives that negate the detrimental effect on the spacetime continuum.

------------------
    "As long as you can laugh, you are not
    defeated."

–- Jack Vance

Originally posted by Cmmdr JT Wayland:
    Except that, going by the canon info, the Okudaic warp chart--which isn't canon, BTW--patently did not work. Neither did the orginal (TOS) warp formula.

The chi factor was a way to make interstellar spaces traversable in a reasonable time.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with cutting it by a factor of ten, but I definitely imagine that as the Federation expands, there'll be more areas with less matter, dropping the average by a noticable amount. And there's certainly lots of "wiggle room", given the variability of matter densities, even in the same area of space, over time.

Best,
    Alex

Arrow

Originally posted by Fred:
    BTW, is the warp 5 speed limit still valid in Star Trek? In my campaign I ignore it assuming there have been technical improvements to warp drives that negate the detrimental effect on the spacetime continuum.
    Your assumption is right, Fred. Variable geometry warp drives have been available since the Intrepid class has been launched in 2370. The retrofitting might have reached all Starfleet vessels by now. The Sovereign, for example, doesn't have folding nacelles, but it has "ecological warp drive".

Talking about using unleaded or regular.

------------------
    Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality