Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Corrected Chi Warp Charts

Uh huh.

Okay, can someone explain all that for those of us in the studio audience who are me.

I think I'll stick to my approach to how long it takes to get to where my players want to go.

If it's just a unimportant trip they get there in plenty of time. If it's really important they get there for a specific time then they get there just in time.

------------------
    Kid Mama-san, what do they call that thing they shoot the cats out of?
    Mama-san I'm not sure, but I think they call it a catapult.
    Kid Boy, I'm glad I didn't have to say that line...

Samurai Pizza Cats

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lone wolf:
    Uh huh.

Okay, can someone explain all that for those of us in the studio audience who are me.

I think I'll stick to my approach to how long it takes to get to where my players want to go.

If it's just a unimportant trip they get there in plenty of time. If it's really important they get there for a specific time then they get there just in time.

</font>

Well thats your perogative

But a few of us want exact times and speeeds

I personally will never use the speed of plot.

------------------
    SIRSIG
    AKA: SirPostalot
    AKA: The MapMaker
    AKA: The Trek Cartographer
    AKA:...Well I could keep going forever

Ok there Sir Sig, So is it safe to assume that your warp chart at the beginning of the thread is as close to empirical (or whatever) as your going to make it, again assuming that no other canon references side-swipe your work. Also would the "Chi" factor affect sub-light velocities in any way, or for that matter other forms of FTL drives, and other FTL systems (i.e. sensors, sub-space radios, etc.).
    One more question if your up to the challenge...with the formula your using could a refined chart be designed taking into account less than full increments in the warp scale, say increments of 0.2 or 0.1?

Phoenix...

------------------
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    -Napoleon

Sorry about that. It doesn't give specific urls for specific discussions, so
    Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Prime Directive: Prime Directive 2 (powered by GURPS) Wish List: Archive through July 09, 2001

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To explore strange new roles. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

Link to initiate Frames:
    (then go Prime Directive then Prime Directive 2...)
    http://www.starfleetgames.com/discus/

Or the direct link:
    http://www.starfleetgames.com/discus...html?994825593

Can I ask a question?

Well, I guess I just did.

Anyway, my question is, what is a "chi" warp factor?

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Phoenix:
    Ok there Sir Sig, So is it safe to assume that your warp chart at the beginning of the thread is as close to empirical (or whatever) as your going to make it, again assuming that no other canon references side-swipe your work. Also would the "Chi" factor affect sub-light velocities in any way, or for that matter other forms of FTL drives, and other FTL systems (i.e. sensors, sub-space radios, etc.).
    One more question if your up to the challenge...with the formula your using could a refined chart be designed taking into account less than full increments in the warp scale, say increments of 0.2 or 0.1?

Phoenix...

</font>
    Okay that was a earlier chart. I'm more inclined to go with a Chi of 24 in Fed space now. Thus the warp speed you can do in a day is what the writers do in a hour.

At the very least, most ships need to be able to do 1 ly / hour to make most of the distances on the show.

As to affecting other FTL, Yes in Fed space. Other locations and your Chi will modify.

I'm up to most challenges in fields I like
    Still fractional Warp will still be inefficient.

------------------
    SIRSIG

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cochrane:
    Sorry about that. It doesn't give specific urls for specific discussions, so
    Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Prime Directive: Prime Directive 2 (powered by GURPS) Wish List: Archive through July 09, 2001

</font>

No matter I found it anyway

Cant post until accepted. Waiting....

------------------
    SIRSIG

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Phantom:
    Can I ask a question?

Well, I guess I just did.

Anyway, my question is, what is a "chi" warp factor?

</font>

Howdy Phantom

Easy way would be to read the start of page 1 of the thread.

I qoute a direct passage from the ST MAPS on the Chi factor.

------------------
    SIRSIG

Runs for the bottle of Tylenol.

Ok, I read a few of your post Sig detailing chi warp. Am I right in assuming the idea is that when a ship enters warp not only is it going real fast, but it wholly or partially enters subspace? I understand that some of the numbers represent the "density" of any given area of space, but I thought that is what the deflector was for. I'll keep reading, but man I am confused.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Phantom:
    Runs for the bottle of Tylenol.

Ok, I read a few of your post Sig detailing chi warp. Am I right in assuming the idea is that when a ship enters warp not only is it going real fast, but it wholly or partially enters subspace? I understand that some of the numbers represent the "density" of any given area of space, but I thought that is what the deflector was for. I'll keep reading, but man I am confused.

</font>
    Density of subspace and such

The deflector is to clear objects in real space that could penetrate the warp bubble.

Understand? 'Cause I dont

When I get time (at work) I right a better explanation.

------------------
    SIRSIG

I had a really long post typed up last night, and then my internet router went nuts, locking out my computer. Sigh. Good thing I wasn't on a starship. My panel would have blown up.
    _____
    (engage teacher mode)

According to what little we know of warp travel, (if I knew more, I'd write the equations, and Zefrem Cochrane would use me as the basis for his work) in order for a ship to move FTL, it has to move into Subspace, where Einsteinian Relativity doesn't exist. Subspace apparently contains layers (we've seen in Next Gen, aliens from lower layers of subspace). Some people claim that entering different layers of subspace will allow for faster travel. In fact, this is the basis of most people's Transwarp Theories.

A deflector dish sends out a beam (subspace or tractor, I'm not sure which) which brushes micro and macroscopic particles out of the way. Impact with a micrometeor at Warp 9 would make a nasty mess of the ship otherwise.

In the TNG technical manuel, on pg 55 or 56, I'm not sure which, they have the chart we're using to determine warp speeds.

In the text following this chart, they have some throwaway text about (and I'm going to paraphrase) "Local speed depends on local gas density, EM fields, and subspace variance."

We're calling this speed variance Chi (which is the greek letter symbol for whatever the actual phenomenon is.)

It is directly analagous to density.
    An example of this, it's easier to run through the air than to run in the water. The thicker medium causes lower progress due to viscosity and friction being increased from density.

Another RW example is index of refraction. Index of refraction n is defined as

n = c (speed of light)/ v (velocity through the medium in question)

Solving for v gives us c/n.

In our technobabble, Chi would be the warp analogy to 1/n .

Hope this helps.
    _____
    (enter theoretician mode)

Density, Viscosity and friction all become "thicker" as the value increases. What if Chi too is related to "thicker" subspace? This would imply that it's easier to create a subspace bubble (warp field) around the ship if there's enough subspace in the area. More subspace equals more insulation from Einsteinian Relativity equals faster travel speeds.

What do ya think?

Alex

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Yeah what he said

Very well explained Alex, much better then even the Navigation book.

So then SubSpace is a natural phenomenon that permeats local space?

And thus a thicker area creates a thicker field and thus a greater Chi?

Very NICE!

------------------
    SIRSIG

Cool

I'll withhold accepting of any praise for it until someone who didn't already understand the concept can tell me if it makes sense.
    ____
    My take on subspace is that it's a transdimensional version of that old concept of Ether. Subspace is a variant of time-space which exists outside of what we see as the universe. In at least the closest layers, it's similar to our own universe, however, at the very least Relativity doesn't apply. By using subspace physics, we can do all kinds of things, like use phasers and transporters and the like.

If you use the "Curved space" model of the universe, then it's possible to postulate that other universes exist (in the places where our curved space doesn't exist). It then becomes possible to think of subspace as the stuff between the other universes. Travel deep enough into subspace and you go into another universe. Stick to the near regions, and you get to move FTL.

So, yes, it's pretty much everywhere, just in different amounts (bigger gaps between the universes, maybe?). I like the idea of higher amounts means a faster travel (and probably more efficient sensors and the like) It makes it the opposite of what people are used to.

Alex

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster